U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2012, 06:36 AM

56,258 posts, read 54,712,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
But there aren't many minorities outside of the urban areas of the Northern US is what my point was. There might be different ethnic Whites, but for the most part, the ethnic White makeup isn't all that diverse outside the big cities up North(or the South, or Westcoast for that matter). A White person moving from rural Maine, to rural South Texas is gonna feel some sort of culture change, due to the different racial factors. The Northern US is very, very White. As is most of the US, but overwhelmingly so up North.
It depends upon where up North you are. Vermont, for example, has a very low black population, but here in New Jersey, the black population is above the average percentage of black people for the country, and many black people live in the suburbs mixed in with everybody else. Yet these two states are just a few hours' drive apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 07:39 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,992 posts, read 42,058,839 times
Quote:
The South is littered with small towns off the beaten bath, that have populations that are 30%+ Black. Collectively, these towns make up to 200,000+ residents. That's kinda what I meant, the NE doesn't have towns like these that litter the South/Southeast. And the Southwest has the same thing, but instead with Hispanics.
This true, my point is you're comparing just rural areas, which isn't most of the population.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:03 AM

14,111 posts, read 22,786,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It depends upon where up North you are. Vermont, for example, has a very low black population, but here in New Jersey, the black population is above the average percentage of black people for the country, and many black people live in the suburbs mixed in with everybody else. Yet these two states are just a few hours' drive apart.
Not too many towns away from the cities that are predominantly Black. I'm not even talking about suburbs, I'm talking about way out, far-flung towns. Blacks for the most part, are relegated to urban areas up there. That's why parts of NYC and surrounding communities(Newark, parts of LI, East Orange, etc) are so Black(some of the Blackest cities int the US) but get really White the further you get from the city.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:12 AM

9,562 posts, read 9,437,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Yeah but NOTHING on the same level as the Northeast lol.

They aren't always descended from the same Italians either.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:21 AM

22,341 posts, read 32,208,951 times
Quote:
But there aren't many minorities outside of the urban areas of the Northern US is what my point was. There might be different ethnic Whites, but for the most part, the ethnic White makeup isn't all that diverse outside the big cities up North(or the South, or Westcoast for that matter). A White person moving from rural Maine, to rural South Texas is gonna feel some sort of culture change, due to the different racial factors. The Northern US is very, very White. As is most of the US, but overwhelmingly so up North.

Honestly as an Italian/Irish american I find white culture to be very different in many parts of the country than what I am used to in the NE. I grew up half in the city and half not. The area outside the city was predominately Italian/Jewish/Irish. I will be honest with you I find more in common based on my background and experiences in say Westwood and among Persians than I typically would among a white culture in rural TX for example.

Maybe its just me but I find some pretty significant variations in "white" backgrounds. Maybe today not as stark as say an Indian to a Korean but there are some substantial difference based on my experience.

That said there are definately less asians and latinos the further you get from the big cities and in general there are fewer blacks in the NE as well.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:26 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Yeah but NOTHING on the same level as the Northeast lol.
I remember in college I got a slight culture shock that most (or at least a large minority, a third) didn't have a last name that ended in a vowel.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:31 AM

22,341 posts, read 32,208,951 times
Quote:
Not too many towns away from the cities that are predominantly Black. I'm not even talking about suburbs, I'm talking about way out, far-flung towns. Blacks for the most part, are relegated to urban areas up there. That's why parts of NYC and surrounding communities(Newark, parts of LI, East Orange, etc) are so Black(some of the Blackest cities int the US) but get really White the further you get from the city.

North Jersey has a really large Indian population

Old 12-04-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Of course there are plenty of residents of the big cities / metros in the northeast that spend very little time in the rural areas and would be surprised at them

Old 12-04-2012, 11:31 AM

9,401 posts, read 9,566,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Anglo means English speaking with significant cultural elements stemming from England. It does not necessarily mean of English ancestry just as Hispanic means Spanish speaking with significant Spanish cultural elements, not necessarily of Spanish ancestry.

There is a difference between an Anglo American and an English-American. A Norwegian-American or a German-American from the upper midwest is an Anglo unless their language and entire cultural worldview is Norwegian or German which is unlikely if they are American.

There is a difference between
by that definition almost all Blacks are Anglo-Americans because their world view and language is in line with every other multi-generational American

Old 12-04-2012, 04:48 PM

19,905 posts, read 18,914,045 times
FWIW, here's what Wikipedia says:

"In the Southwest United States, Anglo, short for Anglo American, is used, erroneously, as a synonym for Non-Hispanic Whites; that is, all European Americans (except Latin Americans), most of whom speak the English language but are not necessarily of English descent. If language is taken into consideration the term Anglo-American also excludes Franco-Americans such as the Cajuns of Louisiana, but would include them when language is excluded as a criteria. The term Anglo has been regularly used by mainstream media such as the Los Angeles Times usually in broad reference to non-Hispanic, English-speaking White Americans of European descent."

In that sense of the word it refers to people of European descent who speak English. What are people who speak English who are of another descent, such as Russians or Greeks, Turks, or Iranians.

Also, why does there even have to be a word to distinguish English speaking from Spanish speaking when there's no word to distinguish English speaking from Italian speaking or and other language? Won't the Latinos just assimilate someday like everyone else and speak English? Spanish comes from Spain which is in Europe so they're Anglos according to the definition above.

That word Anglo isn't used around where I live so I'm not very familiar with it and I don't quite see the need for such a word. If I did use the word Anglo it would mean someone of English descent, as in Anglo Saxon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or