U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2012, 04:56 PM

19,824 posts, read 18,832,665 times

Advertisements

and from the Free Dictionary:

"Anglo
adj.
Usage Note: In contemporary American usage, Anglo is used primarily in direct contrast to Hispanic or Latino. In this context it is not limited to persons of English or even British descent, but can be generally applied to any non-Hispanic white person. Thus in parts of the United States with large Hispanic populations, an American of Polish, Irish, or German heritage might be termed an Anglo just as readily as a person of English descent. However, in parts of the country where the Hispanic community is smaller or nonexistent, or in areas where ethnic distinctions among European groups remain strong, Anglo has little currency as a catch-all term for non-Hispanic whites. Anglo is also used in non-Hispanic contexts. In Canada, where its usage dates at least to 1800, the distinction is between persons of English and French descent."

That's a more complete definition and it would explain why the word isn't even used around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 05:17 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,929,314 times
I assumed Anglo = WASP

Old 12-04-2012, 06:20 PM

7,129 posts, read 9,899,963 times
^ I always thought that Anglo-American meant all English speaking Americans regardless of race.

Anyway, besides things like language, race, natural geography, climate (this is a biggie), politics, religion, architecture etc., what other differences across the country would make a New Englander feel "culture shocked"?

What thing that interests me and I do not think anyone mentioned yet --- urban development, land use and local government in New England. The way the 6 New England states are developed simply looks different from much of the country.

I wonder if this is because of their unique style of local government --- everything is incorporated into cities and towns, little to no county government, small states closer to the people. Some other states have some similarities (notably in the Northeast and Upper Midwest) but their is nothing quite like these 6 states.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:52 PM

14,111 posts, read 22,747,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
^ I always thought that Anglo-American meant all English speaking Americans regardless of race.

Anyway, besides things like language, race, natural geography, climate (this is a biggie), politics, religion, architecture etc., what other differences across the country would make a New Englander feel "culture shocked"?

What thing that interests me and I do not think anyone mentioned yet --- urban development, land use and local government in New England. The way the 6 New England states are developed simply looks different from much of the country.

I wonder if this is because of their unique style of local government --- everything is incorporated into cities and towns, little to no county government, small states closer to the people. Some other states have some similarities (notably in the Northeast and Upper Midwest) but their is nothing quite like these 6 states.
Good point, geographically, it's like the states themselves as a whole act like giant counties connected into one giant metro area.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:06 PM

19,824 posts, read 18,832,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Good point, geographically, it's like the states themselves as a whole act like giant counties connected into one giant metro area.
True, most of us in New England have to stop and think of what county we live in. It's all about cities and towns and the towns have Town Meeting in the spring with everyone going in and voting. One giant metro area? Where? So much of New England is either forest, mountain or rural except for big cities like Boston and Hartford and their suburbs.

When I went across the USA many years ago my culture shock was seeing people wearing cowboy boots out west. I felt so out of it. I'm in culture shock in NY City with everyone all dressed up in the latest fashions and I'm in culture shock in much of the south with people dressed really casually. So there's the clothing issue too.

The food, did we mention the food. Not to mention Christmas in the south with no cold weather or snow and seeing Christmas decorations on palm trees.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:26 PM

6,972 posts, read 12,480,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
True, most of us in New England have to stop and think of what county we live in. It's all about cities and towns and the towns have Town Meeting in the spring with everyone going in and voting. One giant metro area? Where? So much of New England is either forest, mountain or rural except for big cities like Boston and Hartford and their suburbs.

When I went across the USA many years ago my culture shock was seeing people wearing cowboy boots out west. I felt so out of it. I'm in culture shock in NY City with everyone all dressed up in the latest fashions and I'm in culture shock in much of the south with people dressed really casually. So there's the clothing issue too.

The food, did we mention the food. Not to mention Christmas in the south with no cold weather or snow and seeing Christmas decorations on palm trees.

I had to laugh at this post in a good way. Its basically how I see it also. The Christmans decorations on palm trees and 80 degrees, just a few weeks before Christmas does seem strange. Although I'm really loving this warm sunny Arizona weather this time of year. I do miss New England's towns something that doesn't exist in Arizona. They have names for different towns but one community just blends right into Phoenix. No little town centers here, just urban sprawl for some 70 miles or so. Yes once your use to actuall towns its next to impossible to get use to areas like Phoenix. Endless strip malls, fwys and traffic.

The food and the local restaurants in New England. You can't beat them. New England is not all chains and fast food joints. Much of America is just that. Its regional and locally owned restaurants in NE. With genuine honest to goodness New England American food. It a very homey, comforting and genuine part of the USA. Other than the cold winters and the horrible COL. Its really a wonderful place to be from. Not all New Englanders but I think many, really can't live elsewhere. Many try though.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:18 PM

12,330 posts, read 10,295,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
ARE YOU SERIOUS?! Have you ever spent ANY time in the South?! How OLD are you?! Your attitude is both ignorant and childish!

BTW -- I got FIVE (5!) positive rep comments from my earlier post calling you out for the idiocy of this thread.
That confirms that my viewpoint is correct, and you ... are ... just ... out there.
It may not be as far fetched as you think. And quite a few people in my area have pre-conveived notions of being un welcome in the South.

I have an older co-worker that moved from Philly area to Wilmington, NC shortly after college (in the early 1980's). He lasted only a few years, moved back, and ended up working at our company. To this day he will tell the same story. The people there were not welcoming, did not invite him to house parties, include him in activities, etc. He was considered an outsider, and he felt it palpably. He is a very outgoing guy in our office. I belive him.

Are you going to deny that many Southerners to this day despise the fact that the Civil War didn't go their way and the Federal Govt won? The side we just happened to have been on.

I'm damn sure if he were from Mississippi or Alabama, those good ol Wilmington folk would be very welcoming.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:02 AM

27,093 posts, read 5,877,402 times
Yes, I so agree, Newsboy...
MY first thoughts on reading OPs first post:

How arrogant and ignorant and offensive!

Ethnocentrism:
The belief in the inherent superiority of one's own ethnic group or culture.

Let's tweak it a bit for the OP:
The belief in the inherent superiority of New England and it's residents as compared to the rest of the USA.

Quote:
It you experience "culture shock" visiting other states than your own, that's YOUR misfortune -- not the fault of the people or places you are visiting. It's telling that in this day and time, living in the digital age with access to so much information at our fingertips, that anybody would express "shock" visiting another place for the first time. Your attitude reeks of both ignorance and arrogance and isn't something I'd be bragging about on C-D.

Perhaps you're better off staying in Connecticut and mingling with your own kind?

Old 12-05-2012, 12:23 AM

13,420 posts, read 16,950,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
It may not be as far fetched as you think. And quite a few people in my area have pre-conveived notions of being un welcome in the South.

I have an older co-worker that moved from Philly area to Wilmington, NC shortly after college (in the early 1980's). He lasted only a few years, moved back, and ended up working at our company. To this day he will tell the same story. The people there were not welcoming, did not invite him to house parties, include him in activities, etc. He was considered an outsider, and he felt it palpably. He is a very outgoing guy in our office. I belive him.

Are you going to deny that many Southerners to this day despise the fact that the Civil War didn't go their way and the Federal Govt won? The side we just happened to have been on.

I'm damn sure if he were from Mississippi or Alabama, those good ol Wilmington folk would be very welcoming.
ABSOULUTELY I deny that fact because it absolutely IS NOT TRUE! What Southerners DESPISE is the arrogant elitist attitude that "you" Northerners still harbor toward the south -- as clearly expressed in your statement above! (advice: see "Lincoln"!) FYI -- the ONE SITUATION you describe about ONE LONE COWORKER does not represent everyone's in the South! Surely someone educated in the "Great Enlightened North" would realize such a thing?

I've already stated it once in this thread and I'll say it again: there is absolutely NOTHING that should come as a true "culture shock" to any American visiting any other part of America different from his or her own -- NOTHING! The way people talk? Dress? That's not culture. We all embrace the same AMERICAN CULTURE!

What qualifies as true "culture shock" is going to a foreign land for the first time where people don't simply speak a different language, but live their daily lives in remarkably different ways than those of us in the civilized Western world -- The jungles of South America, the African savanna, the Middle East and South Asia. These places can be truly "shocking" to an American -- not somebody going from Connecticut to Kansas!

Old 12-05-2012, 09:52 AM

12,330 posts, read 10,295,525 times
Quote:
ABSOULUTELY I deny that fact because it absolutely IS NOT TRUE! What Southerners DESPISE is the arrogant elitist attitude that "you" Northerners still harbor toward the south -- as clearly expressed in your statement above! (advice: see "Lincoln"!) FYI -- the ONE SITUATION you describe about ONE LONE COWORKER does not represent everyone's in the South! Surely someone educated in the "Great Enlightened North" would realize such a thing?

I've already stated it once in this thread and I'll say it again: there is absolutely NOTHING that should come as a true "culture shock" to any American visiting any other part of America different from his or her own -- NOTHING! The way people talk? Dress? That's not culture. We all embrace the same AMERICAN CULTURE!

What qualifies as true "culture shock" is going to a foreign land for the first time where people don't simply speak a different language, but live their daily lives in remarkably different ways than those of us in the civilized Western world -- The jungles of South America, the African savanna, the Middle East and South Asia. These places can be truly "shocking" to an American -- not somebody going from Connecticut to Kansas!
I'm not following what you mean by "see Lincoln". Meaning the movie is not true because it strongly reinforces the fact that the war was about keeping Slavery intact? I saw the movie, btw. I admire Lincoln greatly.

Southerners harbor just as many nasty stereotypes about people in the North as the other way around.
They also can be just as ignorant about the North.

A couple of guys and myself went on a golf trip to Myrtle Beach a few years ago. In our hotel we met a few guys on a similar trip from Alabama. Got chatting in the hotel bar with them, and they talked about how they had been to "your neck of the woods" (meaning Philly area I thought). "How did you like Philly" we asked. Their response, "we were in Chicago, but it's all the same up there". One gets the feeling that people in the South still hold this "yankeeland" view of the entire country north of the Mason Dixon Line.

Yeah, talk about ignorant.

Better yet, hop on over to the Georgia forum, SC forum, NC forum, etc and read some of the comments from locals about "Yankees" moving into their area. Talk about hatred toward fellow Americans.

I'm convinced that there are quite a few Southerners that are what I would call "reluctant" Americans.

Why the statues in southern towns claiming "The Glorious Confederacy". What is glorious about treason? I've seen these statues with my own eyes.

Kathleen Parker, syndicated columnist from the South, stated matter of factly that it is no secret many people in the South despise the Fed Govt to this day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or