U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-09-2012, 05:46 PM
 
Location: too far from the sea
19,836 posts, read 18,845,295 times
Reputation: 33741

Advertisements

Is the fact that New England has towns with pretty good zoning the reason why we don't have many of these idiotic HOAs with stupid rules that I read about on CD?

Why do people think they need HOAs anyway? Or maybe this is OT. I was in VA last year and by mistake, drove through a gate with an actual GUARD standing in a little guardhouse. LOL. These people think they need a GATE and a GUARD? Is that just for their ego or do they really live in such dangerous areas? Just wondering because that was culture shock for me. They think they are royalty or do they just live in really dangerous areas? It looks really silly and pretentious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-09-2012, 05:59 PM
 
Location: Wooster, Ohio
1,036 posts, read 786,253 times
Reputation: 1490
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Very interesting local perspective. Wayne county is quite a crossroads area because it is in a transition zone between areas closer to the Great Lakes, the Corn Belt, the foothills of the Appalachians, and Amish Country. Is most of the growth driven by demographics or job growth? Does Wayne county have a large amount of growth due to the spillover of Amish from Holmes county
Wayne County does have an increasing Amish population. However, school enrollment is declining due to an aging population. The Amish usually go to their own schools, and do not attend beyond 8th grade at any rate.

Wayne County gained nearly 20,000 people since 1980; about 115,000 of us now. Some of them commute to jobs in other counties. I believe that job commute times are above the national average.

Land prices have skyrocketed. Wayne County just sold two parcels of farmland for $10,000 and $12,000 per acre.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2012, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,029 posts, read 54,537,410 times
Reputation: 66369
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Is the fact that New England has towns with pretty good zoning the reason why we don't have many of these idiotic HOAs with stupid rules that I read about on CD?

Why do people think they need HOAs anyway? Or maybe this is OT. I was in VA last year and by mistake, drove through a gate with an actual GUARD standing in a little guardhouse. LOL. These people think they need a GATE and a GUARD? Is that just for their ego or do they really live in such dangerous areas? Just wondering because that was culture shock for me. They think they are royalty or do they just live in really dangerous areas? It looks really silly and pretentious.
They have that in New Jersey at some of the over-55 communities, gates and a little guardhouse with people checking who comes and goes. I guess that's part of the appeal--that they won't just let anyone into the community to beat and rob old people.

My sister lives in one of these. However, I also noticed that running behind the property where she lives is a road with nothing but a field across the street, and the only thing marking the community's boundary is a post-and-rail fence, so someone could just pull up to the side of that road in the dark, hop over the fence and break in to any of the homes there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2012, 10:49 PM
 
Location: 60630
12,247 posts, read 17,993,111 times
Reputation: 11674
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well I've never been to NM. But it seems to be a more progressive state, and therefore a similar culture to New England. I could be wrong though. I still have to visit. My cousin lives in Albuquerque and LOVES it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2012, 10:51 PM
 
Location: 60630
12,247 posts, read 17,993,111 times
Reputation: 11674
The OP has never been outside New England. That is pretty clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2012, 09:14 AM
 
Location: On the Great South Bay
7,131 posts, read 9,903,738 times
Reputation: 6423
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
The OP has never been outside New England. That is pretty clear.
Its funny you say that because the very first four words of the OP are "Based on my travels".

Probably "culture shock" is too strong a term in most cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2012, 10:01 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
44,726 posts, read 36,145,910 times
Reputation: 63330
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Is the fact that New England has towns with pretty good zoning the reason why we don't have many of these idiotic HOAs with stupid rules that I read about on CD?

Why do people think they need HOAs anyway? Or maybe this is OT. I was in VA last year and by mistake, drove through a gate with an actual GUARD standing in a little guardhouse. LOL. These people think they need a GATE and a GUARD? Is that just for their ego or do they really live in such dangerous areas? Just wondering because that was culture shock for me. They think they are royalty or do they just live in really dangerous areas? It looks really silly and pretentious.
My parents live in a gated, guarded retirement community. It makes them feel safer. Whether they are or not is really beside the point. THEY feel safer and more secure. It's their business and I doubt very seriously whether your approval or opinion matters to them one iota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2012, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Somewhere flat in Mississippi
9,522 posts, read 9,407,481 times
Reputation: 6675
I am a Mississippi native who has spent most of his life in the Magnolia State. I helped a friend of mine move to his home state of Wisconsin a few years ago. I definitely felt different up there. I may have been the first person any of those people up there encountered who had both an Italian surname and a Southern accent!

I don't plan on visiting the Northeast or West Coast. Too durn lib'rul for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2012, 07:30 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
86 posts, read 226,211 times
Reputation: 116
In some ways I'd say there are two levels of culture shock. There's the up-front and obvious culture shock, like how I felt pulling up to a rural gas station in Wyoming where I was the only one driving a sedan (with Massachusetts plates no less) and not a pickup truck, and the only guy wearing "city" clothes and not a cowboy hat. I felt like any second someone was going to come up to me and say "hey, you don't really belong around here, do you?"

But there's also a more subtle culture shock too, when you think you're getting along with people but then you realize you're not on the same page at all. I got a kick out of this and had some similar experiences living in the midwest as well. Midwestern Manners: “I cannot eat the last cookie unless I offer it to you first.” CaptainAwkward.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2012, 08:59 PM
 
Location: 60630
12,247 posts, read 17,993,111 times
Reputation: 11674
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Its funny you say that because the very first four words of the OP are "Based on my travels".

Probably "culture shock" is too strong a term in most cases.


Apparently New Mexico is more like New England than most US states outside New England. What does that tell you about OP's travel experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top