U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2012, 01:23 PM

56,000 posts, read 54,493,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHboston View Post
In some ways I'd say there are two levels of culture shock. There's the up-front and obvious culture shock, like how I felt pulling up to a rural gas station in Wyoming where I was the only one driving a sedan (with Massachusetts plates no less) and not a pickup truck, and the only guy wearing "city" clothes and not a cowboy hat. I felt like any second someone was going to come up to me and say "hey, you don't really belong around here, do you?"

But there's also a more subtle culture shock too, when you think you're getting along with people but then you realize you're not on the same page at all. I got a kick out of this and had some similar experiences living in the midwest as well. Midwestern Manners: I cannot eat the last cookie unless I offer it to you first. CaptainAwkward.com
That was a riot. Is this really expected? (Midwesterners please weigh in.) I wouldn't have known that game had to be played, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 01:33 PM

3,234 posts, read 7,626,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHboston View Post
In some ways I'd say there are two levels of culture shock. There's the up-front and obvious culture shock, like how I felt pulling up to a rural gas station in Wyoming where I was the only one driving a sedan (with Massachusetts plates no less) and not a pickup truck, and the only guy wearing "city" clothes and not a cowboy hat. I felt like any second someone was going to come up to me and say "hey, you don't really belong around here, do you?"

But there's also a more subtle culture shock too, when you think you're getting along with people but then you realize you're not on the same page at all. I got a kick out of this and had some similar experiences living in the midwest as well. Midwestern Manners: I cannot eat the last cookie unless I offer it to you first. CaptainAwkward.com
I have experienced most of those things in the article in places like the southeast, northeast, northewest and southwest. I think most of those are just common courtesy

Old 12-14-2012, 10:51 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,225,932 times
I would have to disagree about Maryland and Delaware. Those states are more Northeastern than southern, and D.C. and Boston are tied together through the Bos-Wash corridor.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:44 PM

86,978 posts, read 102,527,356 times
Interesting thread. I read the whole thing to this point at once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Well, in New Mexico, Blacks are considered Anglo. So there you go.

Anglo =/= White

Caveat: The more Black there are in New Mexico (we are up to about 3% in Albuquerque) the more Hispanics are differentiating them from Whites, thus putting Anglo in more of a racial, rather than cultural, pigeonhole.
That is the way it is in Colorado. Blacks are not considered "Anglos" here, but people like me (German ancestry) and my husband (Swedish) are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Many northeastern states have a different definition of 'town' than elsewhere. In the northeast, town is merely a matter of political boundaries, not a built up residential and commercial area.

My sister lives in a 'town' and she is miles from the nearest shopping and surrounded by hundreds and hundreds of acres of forest filled with deer, bear, and coyotes.
Wisconsin has similar definitions of "towns".

Old 12-15-2012, 01:53 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 41,921,149 times
To the posters saying the OP hasn't traveled to the midwest, he has been there and for whatever reason considered a "culture shock".

My impressions of the Midwest (road trip)

Old 12-15-2012, 03:03 PM

25 posts, read 37,919 times
Its kind of funny that all the white states on that map voted Obama and all but 10 of the orange states voted Romney

Old 12-15-2012, 03:52 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,461,129 times
Honestly, being from the Midwest (Michigan,) when I've visited the Northeast, I've experienced basically zero culture shock. There were a few minor things that seemed different - the Northeast is built up more with shorter distances between places, for example - but none of it really registered as shocking to me. When visiting the South, it seemed a little more different from what I'm used to than the Northeast, but still generally not anywhere near enough to register a culture shock.

The only place in the U.S. that I might have experienced culture shock was El Paso, Texas. That's because the terrain is completely different, the isolation is much more pronounced, and it's heavily influenced by Mexico. Still, if you ducked into an Applebee's or another similar establishment, it didn't seem that different at all.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:25 PM

6,127 posts, read 6,442,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That was a riot. Is this really expected? (Midwesterners please weigh in.) I wouldn't have known that game had to be played, either.
I don't know if it's expected, but I do it. LOL However, it's not some sort of game that I expect the other person to play, I really just feel bad taking the last of something without offering it to others first.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:41 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,552,631 times
The American SW is probably the most culture shocking.

Old 12-16-2012, 07:37 PM

56,000 posts, read 54,493,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
I don't know if it's expected, but I do it. LOL However, it's not some sort of game that I expect the other person to play, I really just feel bad taking the last of something without offering it to others first.
No, no, I would also. It's the idea that if the person ACCEPTS, they were wrong to do so. From what the other poster was saying, when someone offers you the last cookie or the best room or whatever what they are REALLY saying is that THEY want it, and you are supposed to know that and politely refuse the offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or