U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2012, 08:32 PM

9,428 posts, read 18,327,828 times

Advertisements

So according to your colored map, how is it that Maryland and Delaware would be more of a culture shock than say New Mexico?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 08:45 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,121,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
So according to your colored map, how is it that Maryland and Delaware would be more of a culture shock than say New Mexico?
Well I've never been to NM. But it seems to be a more progressive state, and therefore a similar culture to New England. I could be wrong though. I still have to visit. My cousin lives in Albuquerque and LOVES it.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:58 PM

10,162 posts, read 6,490,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well I've never been to NM. But it seems to be a more progressive state, and therefore a similar culture to New England. I could be wrong though. I still have to visit. My cousin lives in Albuquerque and LOVES it.

So you think the culture in New Mexico would be more similar to New England than th Coastal States on the East coast? Have you been out of New England? Just asking.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:29 PM

6,611 posts, read 6,926,424 times
The amount of culture shock a person gets depends on how open he/she is to other cultures and how willing he/she is to adapt. If you move to a new place rigidly expecting it to be like where you came from you will be in for a shock. If you move to a new place with an open mind you will have a smoother transition. It's more about who/how you are than about where you are moving.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:33 PM

347 posts, read 716,944 times
Quote:
Because its a blue state? Maybe if your definition of culture shock is being around Republicans, but otherwise I can all but guarantee you would have more culture shock anywhere in NM except Sante Fe, resort communities, and to a lesser degree Abq, than most places in Michigan or even Arizona.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:41 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,121,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohazco View Post
Because its a blue state? Maybe if your definition of culture shock is being around Republicans, but otherwise I can all but guarantee you would have more culture shock anywhere in NM except Sante Fe, resort communities, and to a lesser degree Abq, than most places in Michigan or even Arizona.
Yes. Blue states are more forward thinking. Red states are more backward thinking. However, if you notice my map in the original post, I also designated a bunch of blue Midwestern states having culture shock. So it's not all about political tendencies.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:44 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,809,586 times
I think anywhere in the south or hawaii would be the biggest culture shock to a new englander. I think a new englander would feel some what normal around ohio and the upper midwest

Old 11-29-2012, 09:45 PM

347 posts, read 716,944 times
Quote:
Yes. Blue states are more forward thinking. Red states are more backward thinking. However, if you notice my map in the original post, I also designated a bunch of blue Midwestern states having culture shock. So it's not all about political tendencies.
Haha!! Well thats an insulting comment... that depends on your opinion of who's ideas are "forward thinking"!!! But lets not make this a political thread. What I am saying is that NM would be more of a culture shock than those midwestern states... by a long shot. They are blue for a very different reason than Colorado and the coasts. Spend a few days in Gallup, Raton, Las Vegas, Tucomcari, Hatch, etc. Don't get me wrong, I love Gallup and have family and friends there.

State boundaries obviously aren't the best gauge anyways. I bet you would have more shock in Lyons, NY than in Madison WI or Austin TX.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:47 PM

662 posts, read 940,412 times
What a coincidence!! All the white states give me a culture shock.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:52 PM

4,234 posts, read 7,265,184 times
Define culture shock. In 1972 I delivered one of my companies old delivery trucks to a small processing plant in Brooklyn. I had arrived in Brooklyn during the wee hours and slept in my truck ( around 14th & Utica if I remember correctly). When I woke up the next morning I was very hungry. I walked across the street to a Kosher Deli. It was crowded and the customers just sat down where ever they could find an empty seat. After I ordered a Bagel (my first ever) and a cup of coffee one of the other customers asked me where I came from because I sure had a funny accent. When I told him Nebraska he immediately asked if that was out where the Buffalo and Indians were. I told him we did have a few of both. NOW to me that was culture shock. The realization that many Easterners have absolutely no idea about the way of life in other places.

GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or