U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2013, 04:34 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,988 posts, read 41,967,271 times

Advertisements

To a Narnian, all of America feels about the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 04:43 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,715,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
To a Narnian, all of America feels about the same.
Culturally yes.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:09 PM

17,247 posts, read 19,545,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Are you serious? I wonder if you travel to other states much, or stick close to the upper Midwest. Loads of culture shock for me when I went south to even North Carolina.
It's all relative.

To people who have traveled to faraway countries (especially to non-western countries), the cultural differences among states in the U.S. feel pretty minor.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:35 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,162,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Are you serious? I wonder if you travel to other states much, or stick close to the upper Midwest. Loads of culture shock for me when I went south to even North Carolina.
Maybe if you are only looking at the surface there is a large cultural difference, but overall most of the US is a lot more alike than different. Sure they may do things a bit different or with different things than you are used to, but the overall feeling is remarkably similar. I was born and mostly raised in the upper Midwest, I have lived in Texas, and Maine for several years each. I have traveled to all of the lower 48 States. In every corner of the Country and at every stop I have met some great people that were not all that different than I was. Not in how they looked at life, how they interacted with others, how they enjoyed their area of the Country. Differences in how we dressed, how we spoke, and even what we ate; but culturally the basics were the same.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:44 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,886,305 times
Your map suggests that friendly states would be culture shock for you.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:14 PM

12,334 posts, read 10,309,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Truthfully the majority of them, and I have been around the US in my life. You did put together a pretty accurate map, where culture shock would definitely be present. I'd have to say though that New Mexico, would be a culture shock to most New Englanders as well as Oregon. I know they were to me. Calif is a culture shock to most anyone that hasn't spent much time there.

The USA is huge and actually if we are all honest about it. Many states seem to operate so differently from one to the other. That they are like separate countries. I'm in Arizona for the winter and spring this year. Its definitely a culture shock in so many ways. I could go to Australia at least the Metro's there, and not feel the culture shock as strongly as I do here in Arizona.

I think you did a very good job on your map

There are many hard core right wing Republicans that believe the US is nothing more than a collection of 50 independent republics. This thought is of course most prevalent in the US South where most believe secession was and is totally legal (being the US is not a country in their eyes just a compact between republics).

Old 11-04-2013, 10:31 PM

12,334 posts, read 10,309,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Very well said. It always amazes me how some North easterners are so ignorant about the South and other areas of this country.

And of course there are no ignorant Southerners out there about the North? Like the moron I met in Myrtle Beach that told me he had been to my region (all yankeeland to him), by which he meant Chicago. Give me a break. I totally get the OP's feelings. Been down South many times and yes it is very different culturally than here or New England.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:36 AM

35,324 posts, read 25,177,423 times
Having grown up in Boston I found Wisconsin to be far less of a culture shock than Northern California. Those people I just did not "get" at all.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:43 PM

52 posts, read 121,774 times
If you are an American over the age of 12 and still get a culture shock traveling to other parts of the country, you probably didn't know much about our country to begin with.

If you have "culture shock" traveling within the states, try going to Pakistan, Iraq, Mongolia, North Korea, Nigeria, or something. You might have a heart attack. No wonder people say Americans are ignorant.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:29 PM

6 posts, read 4,436 times
Default Culture Shock

I'm from eastern Connecticut and for me culture shock is central CT, where I live its mostly Irish and French-Canadian, I'm not either and I'm not Italian but again its not that Italian in this part. There is some truth to your map if culture shock can be regarded as a good thing. When I went to North Carolina and Tennessee I was shocked at how friendly people were compared to anywhere else. When I go to New Hampshire I'm shocked at how free it feels. Maryland is kind of a culture shock since there are even more ridiculous laws there than in New England. Parts of upstate New York, eastern CT, northern Maine, parts of Vermont, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island can be shocking to your classic "snobby" Northeasterner. I would only feel out of place deep in the bible belt and in liberal areas of California, but just because you feel out of place doesn't mean you shouldn't go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or