U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 09:56 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,460,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
...One time I had stopped in Delaware at an auto shop and the mechanic even said to me, "I knew ya had some yankee in ya!" To me, being from Connecticut, anything south of Philadelphia feels SOUTHERN. In fact, much of PA feels Midwestern/southern to a New Englander, even. All of those states in the Midwest feel different as well. Certainly a lot more accents compared to New England. And the ancestries are just different (a LOT less Italians to the point where it's super noticeable out in public).
I can understand someone from Connecticut experiencing culture shock in states like North Carolina or Kentucky, but Delaware? Really dude?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 10:00 PM

1,954 posts, read 4,503,627 times
Looks pretty off to me. No way those western/west coast states that you have white would be less of a culture shock than the upper Midwest. The Midwest has much more similar weather, topography, and architectural styles than the west does.

Part of Ohio was even owned and settled by Connecticut at one point:

Connecticut Western Reserve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-29-2012, 10:01 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,113,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Define culture shock. In 1972 I delivered one of my companies old delivery trucks to a small processing plant in Brooklyn. I had arrived in Brooklyn during the wee hours and slept in my truck ( around 14th & Utica if I remember correctly). When I woke up the next morning I was very hungry. I walked across the street to a Kosher Deli. It was crowded and the customers just sat down where ever they could find an empty seat. After I ordered a Bagel (my first ever) and a cup of coffee one of the other customers asked me where I came from because I sure had a funny accent. When I told him Nebraska he immediately asked if that was out where the Buffalo and Indians were. I told him we did have a few of both. NOW to me that was culture shock. The realization that many Easterners have absolutely no idea about the way of life in other places.

GL2
Lol that's funny indeed. Yeah, to a New Englander, most of the South and Midwest is "backwards" and "country." But I've traveled most of those southern and Midwestern states and although it feels different culturally, in many ways they feel more modernized and newer. The Northeast is just old and sometimes dirty and weathered looking.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:04 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,113,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I can understand someone from Connecticut experiencing culture shock in states like North Carolina or Kentucky, but Delaware? Really dude?
Well to me, yes, DE feels like the beginning of the South. That's when there's a noticeable decline in an Italian population, the southern accents are just starting to be heard, the topography is very flat, and there's new construction everywhere.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:17 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,460,458 times
Quote:
Well to me, yes, DE feels like the beginning of the South. That's when there's a noticeable decline in an Italian population, the southern accents are just starting to be heard, the topography is very flat, and there's new construction everywhere.
I think your confusing the Mid-Atlantic dialects with the Southern dialects. Also have you ever been to Wilmington, DE or Baltimore, MD. I wouldn't necessarily call those cities "Dixie". Also those cities have a history of having ethnic blue-collar Italian neighborhoods which is similar to the other northeastern cities.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 11-29-2012 at 10:31 PM..

Old 11-29-2012, 10:35 PM

321 posts, read 522,635 times
I don't think a New Englander would have too much culture shock in Minnesota and Illinois. And Maryland.

All three states are liberal and progressive for the most part, pretty yuppie-ish in the big cities, and Minnesota has bitterly cold winters like NE.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:11 AM

10,156 posts, read 6,486,683 times
Quote:
Yes. Blue states are more forward thinking. Red states are more backward thinking. However, if you notice my map in the original post, I also designated a bunch of blue Midwestern states having culture shock. So it's not all about political tendencies.

OK problem solved. Ignorance takes over. There is no reason to go forward from here.
The idea that blue states are any more forward thinking is absurd. There is no such thing as a blue or red state.

Last edited by Scotty011; 11-30-2012 at 07:21 AM..

Old 11-30-2012, 06:57 PM

6,972 posts, read 12,480,117 times
Truthfully the majority of them, and I have been around the US in my life. You did put together a pretty accurate map, where culture shock would definitely be present. I'd have to say though that New Mexico, would be a culture shock to most New Englanders as well as Oregon. I know they were to me. Calif is a culture shock to most anyone that hasn't spent much time there.

The USA is huge and actually if we are all honest about it. Many states seem to operate so differently from one to the other. That they are like separate countries. I'm in Arizona for the winter and spring this year. Its definitely a culture shock in so many ways. I could go to Australia at least the Metro's there, and not feel the culture shock as strongly as I do here in Arizona.

I think you did a very good job on your map

Old 11-30-2012, 07:12 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,808,700 times
I seriously dont think some of the states you selected would be HUGE culture shock. A slight culture shock? yes. Compelete culture shock? no. St.Louis for example has a italian population of 7% and is known for its large variety of european culture. Chicago, cleveland, cincinnati, philadelphia, milwaukee are like this as well

Old 11-30-2012, 07:13 PM

56,515 posts, read 80,824,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohazco View Post
Haha!! Well thats an insulting comment... that depends on your opinion of who's ideas are "forward thinking"!!! But lets not make this a political thread. What I am saying is that NM would be more of a culture shock than those midwestern states... by a long shot. They are blue for a very different reason than Colorado and the coasts. Spend a few days in Gallup, Raton, Las Vegas, Tucomcari, Hatch, etc. Don't get me wrong, I love Gallup and have family and friends there.

State boundaries obviously aren't the best gauge anyways. I bet you would have more shock in Lyons, NY than in Madison WI or Austin TX.
Probably, but at least Lyons and the surrounding area still has quite a few Italians. It is close enough to Seneca Falls, which supposedly has one of the highest percentages of Italians in a town/city in the country. With that said, Independence Louisiana also is in that category and I get what you mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or