U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2012, 07:16 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,715,636 times

Advertisements

I think you all should go to Bangladesh.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 09:55 PM

11,810 posts, read 18,804,722 times
For the hundreds of thousands of NorthEasterners in North Carolina, I can only assume that they came for the shock.
But seriously, the OP's map is overly simplistic and makes a lot of assumptions that are going to get him/her categorized as an elitest at best and....well....I am not going to say what's "at worst".
That said, there are many places in every state that will be a culture shock to many from elsewhere.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:42 PM

13,420 posts, read 16,962,854 times
It you experience "culture shock" visiting other states than your own, that's YOUR misfortune -- not the fault of the people or places you are visiting. It's telling that in this day and time, living in the digital age with access to so much information at our fingertips, that anybody would express "shock" visiting another place for the first time. Your attitude reeks of both ignorance and arrogance and isn't something I'd be bragging about on C-D.

Perhaps you're better off staying in Connecticut and mingling with your own kind?

Old 12-01-2012, 08:15 AM

10,164 posts, read 6,491,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
It you experience "culture shock" visiting other states than your own, that's YOUR misfortune -- not the fault of the people or places you are visiting. It's telling that in this day and time, living in the digital age with access to so much information at our fingertips, that anybody would express "shock" visiting another place for the first time. Your attitude reeks of both ignorance and arrogance and isn't something I'd be bragging about on C-D.

Perhaps you're better off staying in Connecticut and mingling with your own kind?

Well said. I agree. I have lived in the North and The South and I did not experience "culture shock" in any way. People are more alike than they are different.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:31 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,123,720 times
Well I seriously have considered living in the South. One of my choices would be Raleigh, NC maybe. I thought it was a very nice area, although half of the people had southern accents, which is something I'd have to get used to, since NO ONE in New England has that accent. My real concern is what southerners would think of me. Would THEY be bothered by someone who doesn't have the southern accent? Would they not care to make friends with me?

Old 12-01-2012, 09:59 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,055,097 times
New England votes liberal but culturally it is full of very conventional people. Places like Austin, Portland, Seattle, Madison, Minneapolis, Los Angeles and San Francisco might provide culture shock in the opposite direction.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:42 AM

9,382 posts, read 9,541,753 times
Unless your from Vermont, the NorCal up would be super "green" and kind of Hippy-ish compared to New England east of the CT River, or South of the MA/CT Border

Old 12-01-2012, 10:57 AM

44,768 posts, read 36,172,094 times
When I moved from the southeast coast to Texas, I had quite a culture shock. I literally hated it for two years, but eventually the Texan culture began to grow on me, and now I absolutely LOVE it. After Virginia, Texas is my very favorite state.

As a Deep South gal, the states that were the most different culturally to me (that I've visited) are, in order:

1. Minnesotta
2. Utah
3. New Jersey
4. Oregon
5. Washington state
6. Colorado
7. Arizona
8. New Mexico
9. California

Though I've never lived in the following, I felt immediately comfortable and at home in:

Missouri
Oklahoma
Kentucky
Nevada
Mississippi

I've lived in (and loved):

Ohio
Maryland
Virginia
NC
SC
Georgia
Alabama
Tennessee
Texas (though it was an adjustment at first - now it's one of my top favorites!)
Louisiana
Arkansas

The rest, I don't know about!

Old 12-01-2012, 11:10 AM

15,504 posts, read 17,735,931 times
As a native New Yorker who has lived in New Mexico for the better part of two decades, I suggest that New Mexico would be a culture shock for a New Englander/Northeasterner on three fronts.

1. It is extremely White, middle-America (i.e. more like Minnesota meets Colorado than New England) in much of greater Albuquerque.

2. It is a Spanish cultural isolate that is neither Anglo-American nor Mexican in most of the rest of the state.

3. There is a large Native American population consisting of diverse tribal cultures that is only barely assimilated outside Albuquerque.

Runner up: Much of the eastern and southern part of the state is culturally Baptist/West Texas influenced and that in itself would be a culture shock to a Northeasterner.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:14 AM

582 posts, read 776,759 times
Central PA might be a culture shock to a Connecticuter
But then it might not be that shocking. I'm from MD and Central PA is very different from MD, but I never felt "shock".
I just miss seafood something terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or