Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 10:17 PM

11 posts, read 17,219 times

Advertisements

Alabama
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 02:01 PM

9,503 posts, read 16,403,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHomunculus View Post
Hmmm. Arizona, Maryland, and Texas gives you culture shock, but not New Mexico. Interesting.

Yes I would have thought New Mexico would have been included in culture shock.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:41 PM

607 posts, read 1,365,334 times
DC region is not "southern" per se but it is very different from New England, yes. Colorado and New Mexico are also quite different though, boggles my mind why OP didn't include those.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:48 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,740,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Yes I would have thought New Mexico would have been included in culture shock.
New Mexico and Arizona are pretty much identical.

My Long Island roommate was in shock with Arizona culture when she came to college here. In fact, it shocked her so much I think, that she moved back.

Old 03-06-2014, 01:30 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,641,045 times
FWIW, there are lots and lots of New Englanders living in Arizona, New Mexico, and Colorado.

In fact, sometimes, it feels like there are more New Englanders out here than there are NY'ers/NJ folks, who seem to prefer the more cosmopolitan atmosphere of places like South Florida, Southern and Northern California, Metro Atlanta, and so on.

This leads me to believe that the priorities of New Englanders are more in line with those of Midwesterners and Upstate New Yorkers than those from the NYC/LI/NJ area. Settlement patterns in Florida illustrate this as well--New Englanders, Midwesterners, and Upstate New Yorkers tend to prefer the Gulf Coast where as the NYC-area crowd strongly prefers the area from Port St. Lucie to Miami.

Old 03-06-2014, 02:16 PM

8,996 posts, read 10,423,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
New Mexico and Arizona are pretty much identical.
I'd say they're about as different from one another as Vermont and New Hampshire are... which, as any New Englander will tell you, is very different indeed.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:43 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,740,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
I'd say they're about as different from one another as Vermont and New Hampshire are... which, as any New Englander will tell you, is very different indeed.
Explain then. I'm curious. How are they different? I think New Mexicans are more liberal than us Arizonans in general but when I was in Gallup I saw zero differences, except maybe more Hispanics but that may not be true for the entire state.

Old 03-06-2014, 05:46 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,497,726 times
Quote:
Explain then. I'm curious. How are they different? I think New Mexicans are more liberal than us Arizonans in general but when I was in Gallup I saw zero differences, except maybe more Hispanics but that may not be true for the entire state.
Let's see, how to say this politically? From my perspective, Arizona is like California's little conservative sidekick. Arizona follows California in terms of culture and social trends, but clashes with California in terms of politics. The same parallel can be drawn between New Mexico and its neighbor Colorado.

Arizona and New Mexico differ in terms of cuisine. Arizona reinvented Mexican food by giving us cheese crisps and chimichaungas, while New Mexico reimagines Mexican food by perfecting the sopapilla and green chili sauce!

Old 03-06-2014, 08:00 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,869,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
They're not that different but New Mexicans won't admit that. Put another way, if one was to ask which state is most like Arizona it would be New Mexico. The thing about the Southwest is there's been a long animosity between the urban centers in it. Unlike how Oregon and Washington are buddy-buddy (Cascadia, whatever that is) AZ and NM have always been aloof from each other. Albuquerque thinks Santa Fe is snobby, hates Phoenix, and is competitive when compared to Tucson. Tucson's whole existence seems to be based on hating Phoenix, Phoenix pretends like the other Southwest cities don't exist, and everybody bashes El Paso.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:22 PM

10,725 posts, read 23,667,662 times
Quote:
Oh please tell me you are not using Gallup as a quintessential representation of New Mexico! It's a poor town on the edge of the Navajo Res near the Arizona border so yeah it has similarities to rural parts of Northern AZ. To understand New Mexico though you have to experience Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Taos, and smaller towns like Chimayo and Truchas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
They're not that different but New Mexicans won't admit that. Put another way, if one was to ask which state is most like Arizona it would be New Mexico. The thing about the Southwest is there's been a long animosity between the urban centers in it. Unlike how Oregon and Washington are buddy-buddy (Cascadia, whatever that is) AZ and NM have always been aloof from each other. Albuquerque thinks Santa Fe is snobby, hates Phoenix, and is competitive when compared to Tucson. Tucson's whole existence seems to be based on hating Phoenix, Phoenix pretends like the other Southwest cities don't exist, and everybody bashes El Paso.
You are totally on point there with how Southwestern cities views one another. But I think Arizona and New Mexico were probably a lot more similar 102 years ago when they became the 47th and 48th states to enter the union, but in the last 60 years or so Arizona has taken in way more transplants and a lot more California influence that has changed the whole character and settlement of the state in ways that New Mexico definitely has not. New Mexico is more old school and somewhat frozen in time.

Northern New Mexico in particular has more older settlements and several generation of Spaniard and Native America ancestry. Arizona has that in spots too, but its definitely more palpable in Northern NM and they have more of an accent here as well.

Both states have pockets of liberals, libertarians, and social conservatives and have somewhat similar political climates in some ways with New Mexico leaning more center left and Arizona more to the right. The thick of where most people live in both states are pretty far removed from eachother. Phoenix/Tucson and Albuquerque /Santa Fe are have a good 6-7 hour drive away with a lot of wide open space in between.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 03-06-2014 at 09:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.