Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 05:45 PM

357 posts, read 1,462,870 times

Advertisements

In real life, i am very unsocial and shy and don't really enjoy talking to people. I don't mean to dislike people or be rude, but i am just shy. I know that people will say NYC or Boston for people that are introverted and don't wanna make friends, but as a shy person, i am very sensitive to mean rude people or people who yell alot.....so what cities are non-social but nice and polite too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 05:54 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyr View Post
In real life, i am very unsocial and shy and don't really enjoy talking to people. I don't mean to dislike people or be rude, but i am just shy. I know that people will say NYC or Boston for people that are introverted and don't wanna make friends, but as a shy person, i am very sensitive to mean rude people or people who yell alot.....so what cities are non-social but nice and polite too
Pretty much EVERY rural or suburban setting would fit your criteria PERFECTLY.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:06 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
In those areas a lot of people are going to be chatty though. I find in more dense urban areas you get less chats going on at stores and in public. Too many people to have time to say hello and talk to random strangers. People will "ignore" you more.

A lot of people from suburban and rural settings think people in large cities are more rude because they mistake the lack of random communication as people be standoffish.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:39 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
Not to judge, but why do you want to remain antisocial? Wouldn't you want to live in an environment that would encourage you to be comfortable with a more outgoing attitude?

I only ask because you pointed out that you were shy, and shy people aren't usually introverted by choice.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:06 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Cant believe i just read this

Old 05-29-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
shy people aren't usually introverted by choice.
It's common for people to be shy by choice.

I'm not shy but people could be very annoying to deal with and I can see somebody getting to the point where they don't want to deal with others altogether. I actually prefer to take little trips by myself b/c there's less drama, problems and people rushing and pressuring me. More freedom.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarley_1LOVE View Post
Cant believe i just read this
When you live in a barn, the only one you're going to be talking to is yourself, the wall or a cow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
In those areas a lot of people are going to be chatty though. I find in more dense urban areas you get less chats going on at stores and in public. Too many people to have time to say hello and talk to random strangers. People will "ignore" you more.

A lot of people from suburban and rural settings think people in large cities are more rude because they mistake the lack of random communication as people be standoffish.
At least you have space in most rural and suburban settings. You don't have to engage in gossip with the soccer moms or townies. You can just live on large property and keep to yourself without even having to think of people. In my suburb, people keep to themselves. Yeah, people may gossip but that's their business since you don't even have to acknowedge it.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:14 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Quote:
Seattle is probably the best place you could possibly move to.

People there are polite and civil, but err on the side of being unfriendly - as in, they will smile and nod politely to one another, but it is generally taboo to go any deeper than pleasantries to someone you don't know.

I'm actually somewhat introverted by LA standards and about normal by NYC and Boston standards, but by Seattle standards, I was an extrovert.

In the whole time I was in Seattle, I only encountered a few outright rude people. The biggest social ill in Seattle is passive aggression, and I think that most people - at least, the ones who aren't from the Northeast - would rather deal with someone who's Seattle-style passive-aggressive (snivelly, avoidant stare, sarcastic response) versus Boston-style aggressive (come-and-get-it posture, glaring right at you, daring you to do something). The few people in Seattle who are rude and aggressive tend to get away with a lot because the average person is much less apt to say something than they are elsewhere.

So basically, at the end of the day, less interaction, less confrontation. I'd consider it.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:42 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
It's common for people to be shy by choice.

I'm not shy but people could be very annoying to deal with and I can see somebody getting to the point where they don't want to deal with others altogether. I actually prefer to take little trips by myself b/c there's less drama, problems and people rushing and pressuring me. More freedom.
You're thinking of "introverted". Some introverts choose to intentionally avoid socializing, but they don't have to be shy.

Shyness is a feeling that is experienced by those who can be unsure of themselves in social situations.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:15 PM

357 posts, read 1,462,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Seattle is probably the best place you could possibly move to.

People there are polite and civil, but err on the side of being unfriendly - as in, they will smile and nod politely to one another, but it is generally taboo to go any deeper than pleasantries to someone you don't know.

I'm actually somewhat introverted by LA standards and about normal by NYC and Boston standards, but by Seattle standards, I was an extrovert.

In the whole time I was in Seattle, I only encountered a few outright rude people. The biggest social ill in Seattle is passive aggression, and I think that most people - at least, the ones who aren't from the Northeast - would rather deal with someone who's Seattle-style passive-aggressive (snivelly, avoidant stare, sarcastic response) versus Boston-style aggressive (come-and-get-it posture, glaring right at you, daring you to do something). The few people in Seattle who are rude and aggressive tend to get away with a lot because the average person is much less apt to say something than they are elsewhere.

So basically, at the end of the day, less interaction, less confrontation. I'd consider it.
yeah, i was thinking of the Pacific Northwest, maybe Minnesota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.