U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2012, 08:25 PM

4,832 posts, read 10,903,846 times

Advertisements

I have heard most of America isn't moving into that pretty rural town of 5,000 people.

I thought for the longest time I'd never leave my county. I also was contempt with what my county has to offer. I thought living in a small suburban beach city with 8,000 population was where I want to be for the rest of my life. However, only 8,000 people in my city and most of the college-aged kids going to the college town to hang out kind of kills it for me. We just moved to the coastal part of my county, and I realize I have to go north or south to meet people. It's like I expected being a beach community I expected there to be tons of college people hanging out here, but to my surprise they are going to the college town or a city of 100,000 population.

North to the college town in my county which has 45,000 population. Or south to the more urbanized city of 100,000 population.

I used to say to myself the minimum to like a community was suburbia AND a mall. However, 8,000 population is not cutting it for me. I just feel like I need to be a larger community.

Is their a desire in America to live in bigger and better cities? Why is some one drawn to smaller cities? Do people cluster in bigger cities because simply that's where the work is at? It seems people are moving to cities for work and they rather live in that city or they live a suburb or rural town near that city. Is it true that the smaller communities are becoming more for older people?

Maybe I can still like my community, but realize meeting people and finding work has to come from a bigger city? My only concern then is what if all the young people left the area I live in and now live in either one of the larger cities near me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 08:52 PM

11,145 posts, read 14,149,114 times
I feel the same way. I live in CT right now and I'm 28 years old (still young). Young people are leaving in droves to live in more exciting places. I think it's because CT is central to Boston and NYC, so many young people just move to one of those bigger cities. Personally, I don't prefer to live in a big city though. I used to live in NYC and found it to be overwhelming and stressful, not to mention brutally expensive. But yes, most young people prefer to live in bigger cities. Then, once they want to settle down and have kids, they tend to move back to the suburbs or rural areas, because their mentality changes from "i'm young and wanna have fun" to "time to get serious and raise children." I wish more young people would opt to live in less populated areas though. But it's not the popular thing to do.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:56 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,915,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I have heard most of America isn't moving into that pretty rural town of 5,000 people.

I thought for the longest time I'd never leave my county. I also was contempt with what my county has to offer. I thought living in a small suburban beach city with 8,000 population was where I want to be for the rest of my life. However, only 8,000 people in my city and most of the college-aged kids going to the college town to hang out kind of kills it for me. We just moved to the coastal part of my county, and I realize I have to go north or south to meet people. It's like I expected being a beach community I expected there to be tons of college people hanging out here, but to my surprise they are going to the college town or a city of 100,000 population.

North to the college town in my county which has 45,000 population. Or south to the more urbanized city of 100,000 population.

I used to say to myself the minimum to like a community was suburbia AND a mall. However, 8,000 population is not cutting it for me. I just feel like I need to be a larger community.

Is their a desire in America to live in bigger and better cities? Why is some one drawn to smaller cities? Do people cluster in bigger cities because simply that's where the work is at? It seems people are moving to cities for work and they rather live in that city or they live a suburb or rural town near that city. Is it true that the smaller communities are becoming more for older people?

Maybe I can still like my community, but realize meeting people and finding work has to come from a bigger city? My only concern then is what if all the young people left the area I live in and now live in either one of the larger cities near me?

Assuming you mean content instead of contempt (two very different, practically opposite words)....that's fine. It's ok to be happy/conent with where you are. Whether that be your hometown or a new place you've moved to. Some people get wanderlust and some people don't; it's a natural thing but just because you don't have it doesn't mean you are any less interesting/exciting of a person. It's a great experience for some people to move away from "home" and experience something new...but it doesn't have to be for everyone. I will suggest however, that if you do have the urge to move to a new place just to try it out....do it while you are young and single! Much more of a difficult thing to do when you are older and settled down with kids if that is the path you see your life going.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:35 PM

4,832 posts, read 10,903,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Assuming you mean content instead of contempt (two very different, practically opposite words)....that's fine. It's ok to be happy/conent with where you are. Whether that be your hometown or a new place you've moved to. Some people get wanderlust and some people don't; it's a natural thing but just because you don't have it doesn't mean you are any less interesting/exciting of a person. It's a great experience for some people to move away from "home" and experience something new...but it doesn't have to be for everyone. I will suggest however, that if you do have the urge to move to a new place just to try it out....do it while you are young and single! Much more of a difficult thing to do when you are older and settled down with kids if that is the path you see your life going.
I guess you are right in saying some of my wanderlust wore off because I thought moving to this new city I'd meet friends who liked the beach and I'd be content, but when we moved I found the college crowd is no bigger than than my old area and LESS places to meet new people because all the college people go to where the colleges are. Maybe it's as simple as colleges draw young people and places with just schools draw high schoolers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.