Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 02:19 AM

6 posts, read 6,128 times

Advertisements

Hey guys! Long-time occasional lurker, first-time poster! Where I plan on living for a couple years in the US (I don't need a lecture on Visas either) after I finish my studies has been troubling me a lot lately. I've narrowed it down, or at least I thought I had, but the more I look at certain things and the more I think about it, the more I realise I need to ask those in the know.

So, I'll paint a picture for ya... When I plan on going, I'll be a graduate Law & Economics student, and I'll be 24. An NECESSARY prerequisite, is that wherever I go, there needs to be an NBA team, and a beach within 2 hours driving distance. I recognise that's isn't a lot to go on to begin with, so I'll throw in a couple of other optional factors;

Decent nightlife - it doesn't need to be insane, with lousaz girls like I've seen a lot of others ask about. There's girls everywhere and I'm not going there looking for fornication, just something to do

A place where I won't get stabbed is also preferable. I'd also prefer a place where there isn't that many other foreigners. It will therefore be easier for me to charm employers into giving me work (I recognise I need a working visa) and no doubt my (if I was eligible to vote) Republican views economically will work in my favour (I'm a member of the Australian Liberal party, basically the equivalent of your Republican Party.

All in all, I really just can't decide where I would like to go. I know stereotypes of cities, true and untrue, so I want you wise people to basically explain your own interpretations of areas I may like.

Places I've considered;

San Diego - I'm a sleepy surfer type of guy, it's got the Chargers, stuff to do, good nightlife, half-naked girls in the summer.

Charlotte - as a kid I was a Charlotte Hornets fan, and I'm still an "uncommitted" Bobcats fan. Within driving distance of some of the best beaches in the USA from what I understand. I'm also quite fond of the Panthers.

Miami - very multicultural and bilingual (I speak Spanish and some Italian) the HEAT live there, and I'm a lifelong dolphins fan.

Apart from that guys, I really don't know, that's why I'm here... I need your help! Any questions, drop a reply, and I'll get back to ya
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 03:03 AM

I should add, good weather is essential...

Old 12-02-2012, 04:17 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,860,696 times
I would consider the Pacific Northwest- even though it's more liberal than conservative. Also, everyone's classification of 'good weather' is different. For instance, I can't stand the heat (despite being from Australia). I just moved back to the Midwest after 4 years in North Carolina and I couldn't stand the Summers there. I'm even less a fan of Floridian Summers (too hot and humid).

Charlotte may be a little too far from the coast for your liking (it usually takes about 4 hours in traffic to a passable beach) and if you did decide you could cope with the heat / humidity of a North Carolina Summer, Raleigh may be a better option although it's smaller than Charlotte.

I would also look into Virginia, Georgia and South Carolina if I were you (if heat is your thing). Charleston SC may fit your bill as may Savannah, GA although I'm not sure what their situation with sports teams is.

San Diego would be a fun place to live- but depending on what kind of job you get, the cost of living can be prohibitive in some areas of California (although still relatively cheaper than most major cities in Australia).

Whatever you choose, good luck to you! I moved to the U.S. (from Aus) almost 7 years ago- I couldn't be happier here

Old 12-02-2012, 03:20 PM

Cheers for the reply mate! Pacific Northwest would be places like (speaking on major cities) Seattle and Portland, yeah? What part of Aus are you from? Hot weather doesn't bother me at all, I've spent time in Summer here with an aunt & uncle up north before... Not quite as hot would be nice, something comparable to the Gold Coast, or QLD in general is pretty good...

How far away is Sacramento from the coast? Have you ever been to Frisco? I recognise Cal as a whole is expensive but it's geographically speaking pretty good...

No NBA teams in South Carolina so that's out

Old 12-02-2012, 06:35 PM

908 posts, read 1,417,372 times
If you could manage to find a job in Columbia, SC, you could meet your beach requirement and be close enough to the Bobcats. The Hawks would be three hours away as well. The I-4 corridor in Florida is all within two hours of Orlando (which I-4 runs through, and you've probably heard of the Magic), and has quite a number of financial jobs without as many foreigners as the Miami area. Also the west end of I-4 is the Tampa area with many beaches and the east end is Daytona Beach. Central Florida is also not as liberal as the Miami area. Another place you may want to consider is Houston if you don't mind the heat. It is the US's 4th most populous city, has the Rockets, and is within an hour of the Gulf of Mexico. Also, the Houston area is relatively conservative.

Last edited by dxdtdemon; 12-02-2012 at 07:31 PM..

Old 12-02-2012, 09:56 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Orange County California

Mostly republican, nice weather, kind of close to 2 nba teams.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:34 PM

Doesn't matter now guys, now that it seems increasingly likely, I'll be going to Charlotte to support the HORNETS!!! :')

Old 12-04-2012, 05:49 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
I hear Charlotte is a nice city, hope you have a good time

Old 12-04-2012, 06:12 PM

510 posts, read 888,686 times
Portland Oregon is about an hour from the beach (but probably want a dry suit to swim). It has an NBA team. It has nightlife. (I knew quite a few from Washington, like Seattle, that would just drive down to Portland for the entertainment.) They liked the clubs/bars better (strip club option), more stuff going on downtown, music, etc. Washington regulated all that to where much of it moved to Oregon or Canada. But Washington did legalize marijuana, so if you're into that...maybe Seattle or live in Portland and travel to WA to blaze up.

Old 12-05-2012, 12:15 PM

256 posts, read 541,137 times
I would consider Seattle. We are on the sound it is progressive and great place to live. We HAD a team before it was stolen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.