U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 06:56 AM

17 posts, read 35,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Most of the SE is/was naturally forested. Smaller coastal plain communities will likely fit your requirements from NC southward to the Gulf Coast. I agree with an earlier post that Tallahassee is a good place to look but I'd also check out Wilmington, NC; Charleston, SC; Savannah, GA and other coastal communities.
Thank rnc2mbfl,

I agree that smaller coastal plain communities, from NC to the coast, will likely fit my needs, though I expect some areas are more scenic, forested and developed with regard to recreational opportunities close to or within the community, than others. I'd been looking at Wilmington, NC some time back and moved on for some reason; I thought it was the cost of living but I checked CD's detailed profile, just now, and found that, while it is a bit high, it is something I could work with. So, I'll add Wilmington back to my list of places to consider. Thanks!

Charleston would be my first choice, if not for the cost of living. Savannah fits my cost of living needs but I've gotten the impression that, other than the tourist-oriented walking tours, there may not be that much in the way of recreational opportunities within the town. I could very well be wrong about that. If my assumption is correct then, I'd have to drive a significant distance to enjoy the forest(s) and even then, my understanding is that they are swamplands and not forests. Don't get me wrong, I do want to take the tourist tours and explore the swamplands but am hoping for forested trails, as well.

Sorry if I seem overly picky. I'm really not. I just want to try to learn more about my options, so I can narrow my list to a number that I can actually visit and evaluate in a relatively short period of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 07:19 AM

654 posts, read 1,294,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXSE View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for an area with lots of year-round, outdoor recreational opportunities, specifically, walking in scenic trails and parks and maybe even hiking, swimming, etc., in a warm or at least, mild climate. Nearby mountains are okay but I prefer hills or relatively flat terrain in the immediate area where I live. Ideally, there would be a fair-sized city, (population of at least, 20,000), nearby for jobs. I need humidity and like lots of rain and have therefore, eliminated New Mexico, Arizona and Southern California. Northern California would be nice but I think I would have to go to higher elevations to find the forests I'm looking for and that would mean colder temperatures. I've pretty much narrowed my focus to the southeastern region of the U.S. but want to be sure I'm not missing a good choice elsewhere and then, narrow my choices even further within the southeast region, if it is the best place for what I'm seeking.

Places I'm looking at now include; Eureka Springs, AR, Hot Springs, AR, Chattanooga, TN, Knoxville, TN, Johnson City-Kingsport-Bristol, TN, Greenville, SC, Spartanburg, SC, Asheville, NC, Winston-Salem, NC, Charlotte, NC, Raleigh, NC but I'm hoping to find still-warmer places with no snow and ice or at least, very little of it. I've seen references to South Carolina and portions of Georgia as having "coastal forests" but when I look more closely, it turns out to be swampland, which is interesting but not where I want to spend all my time. Would coastal North Carolina meet my needs or most of them? I've noticed that places like Greenville, Rocky Mount and Kinston, NC seem to have a combination of the substantial population and relatively low cost of living I'm looking for but do they have the recreational opportunities I'm looking for? Would living near the coast have a moderating influence on weather patterns?

Thanks for anything you can tell me.
West Palm Beach has a tropical rainforest climate (Af)

Old 12-05-2012, 05:51 PM

17 posts, read 35,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canefandynasty View Post
West Palm Beach has a tropical rainforest climate (Af)
Hi canefandynasty,

West Palm Beach is very beautiful and a great nightlife and beach destination with a nearly ideal climate for my tastes and if I move to the region, I'll be spending some time there. However, people who have lived there tell me that, while it does have some nice parks, it doesn't have much in the way of forests. Also, the cost of living is too high for me.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:47 AM

2 posts, read 1,567 times
thanks, i googled 'warm foresty place' and found this. i can at least recommend NOT moving to Eureka Springs, AR. doesn't stay warm (very damp due to valley) and its kind of a tourist trap ... (i'm from NWA)

not sure about hot springs, other than anyone i know who's left there, hasn't returned. kinda sleepy is what i gather.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:00 PM

2,069 posts, read 2,198,405 times
What about the Northern California coastline, from around San Francisco, and northwards? In those locations, you start seeing majestic coast Redwood forests, all under a moderate climate in comparison to much of the US.

The coastal South of the US, from Southern coastal Virginia, south to Florida, and west to the Texas coast, also all have forest areas with warm, to mild climates, and not all those areas are "swampy;" the forest area in the mentioned region is subtropical broadleaf forest, dominated by evergreens such as Live oaks, hollies, and magnolia trees. Other forests along the coastal South consist of the more open "pine savanna" style landscapes, where pine trees such as slash, and loblolly pine, occur in pure stands in with quite some distance between the trees, allowing for the profuse growth of grasses, hence the "savannah" term. So anywhere from Houston, to New Orleans, down to Miami, then upwards the East Coast to Virginia Beach, all would fit your preferences also.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:18 PM

124 posts, read 123,578 times
What about mountainous and forest area that is warm to mild during the winter months?

Old 11-08-2015, 01:51 AM

6,518 posts, read 7,459,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartbeats & Brianwaves View Post
What about mountainous and forest area that is warm to mild during the winter months?

The closest you would get is the Southern Appalachians. East TN, West NC and North GA. We have a mild winter in this region, but still we do get some winter conditions. In fact the only place in the eastern US to avoid winter conditions all together is central Florida and south. You could look at California, but there is less dense forest and it is very dry there. High elevation in CA also comes with winter conditions. Some of the coastal mountains in the PNW have a mild winter and a lot of dense forest, but I have never been there and really only heard about it. The PNW does not really get warm in summer however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or