U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2012, 04:37 PM

44,931 posts, read 36,237,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
What's funny is that you'd think everyone did know that this region of the country had the most blacks, but whenever you see "The South" referenced or portrayed in the media, they make it seem like it's nothing but whites: bubbas and good ol' boys. How often do you see today's South portrayed as the haven for black culture and affluence that it is?

I wouldn't doubt that many people think Atlanta and New Orleans are the only places you'll see a lot of us down here. Southern blacks are largely overlooked and underrepresented in American media.
I agree, and it's a shame.

I spent three years living in Germany. I hadn't really thought about it, but when I got back to the southern US and saw all those black and brown faces mixed in with the white faces, and heard ALL the familiar southern accents, I suddenly and very poignantly realized how much I had missed the mixture of cultures and races that personifies living in the southern US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 04:58 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,362,767 times
Quote:
What's funny is that you'd think everyone did know that this region of the country had the most blacks, but whenever you see "The South" referenced or portrayed in the media, they make it seem like it's nothing but whites: bubbas and good ol' boys. How often do you see today's South portrayed as the haven for black culture and affluence that it is?

I wouldn't doubt that many people think Atlanta and New Orleans are the only places you'll see a lot of us down here. Southern blacks are largely overlooked and underrepresented in American media.
Yeah, as I alluded to earlier, I think people tend to overestimate how many Blacks live outside of the south, especially here in California.

Watching the average movie about LA, I feel like people get the impression that LA is still majorly White and Black, with a groveling Hispanic minority who usually do lawns, become gang bangers, or are maids/nannies and a small sprinkling of Asians (most of whom are Chinese) who run the restaurants or laundromats.

However, I do notice that at least the average American person I talk to knows that Blacks are still majorly in the South. If they don't know that, then they fell asleep through 12 years of history classes. I always felt that it was common knowledge, but hey, what do I know: my friend from the East Coast was surprised that so many Asian people live in California.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:24 PM

56,676 posts, read 80,995,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Yeah, as I alluded to earlier, I think people tend to overestimate how many Blacks live outside of the south, especially here in California.

Watching the average movie about LA, I feel like people get the impression that LA is still majorly White and Black, with a groveling Hispanic minority who usually do lawns, become gang bangers, or are maids/nannies and a small sprinkling of Asians (most of whom are Chinese) who run the restaurants or laundromats.

However, I do notice that at least the average American person I talk to knows that Blacks are still majorly in the South. If they don't know that, then they fell asleep through 12 years of history classes. I always felt that it was common knowledge, but hey, what do I know: my friend from the East Coast was surprised that so many Asian people live in California.
To put this into perspective, NY State has more Black people than any other state(around 3.5 million full or in combo) and is about 16-17% Black(which is around 10th in that regard). I believe that only IL, MI and NJ, along with NY are the only non Southern states with an above average percentage of Black folks.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:36 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,811,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
To put this into perspective, NY State has more Black people than any other state(around 3.5 million full or in combo) and is about 16-17% Black(which is around 10th in that regard). I believe that only IL, MI and NJ, along with NY are the only non Southern states with an above average percentage of Black folks.
If you don't consider them The South (and most people don't), Delaware and Maryland are above average. I also think Ohio might be slightly above average, but I'm not sure.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:37 PM

33,908 posts, read 42,165,527 times
Maryland has the highest Black population (%) of any state outside of the Deep South.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:41 PM

3,625 posts, read 7,174,907 times
Quote:

Yeah this is definitely true. Outside of certain movies (like Tyler Perry movies) and music ofcourse.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:57 PM

29,946 posts, read 27,415,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Maryland has the highest Black population (%) of any state outside of the Deep South.
Yep, and like traditionally Southern states, they can be found in rural areas in the coastal plain region of the state (i.e., DelMarVa peninsula).

Old 12-06-2012, 08:29 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,362,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Well, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, Blacks aren't even the largest 'minority' in states like FL, IL, NJ, and NY, but rather 'Hispanics'. However, since Hispanics aren't really a united entity aside from being from Spanish-speaking Western Hemisphere and their comparative recent settlement in those states (and in the US as a whole), African-Americans still make up the largest cultural minority in those states.

Out West, African Americans never really made up more than 7% of the population of California, and are slowly declining in %. Nevada currently has the highest % of Blacks among the Western states, but its still way less Black than the national average. However, at least in terms of popular media regarding California, Blacks seem to have a much larger presence than they do in real life.

I find it ironic that while talking about the South, Blacks seem to have less of a popular media impression than their impact in real life, while in other areas it's the complete opposite.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:39 PM

8,287 posts, read 11,840,101 times
Default 2010 Census Top 10 list of states by African American population

1: New York | 3,073,800
2: Florida | 2,999,862
3: Texas | 2,979,598
4: Georgia | 2,950,435
5: California | 2,299,072
6: N. Carolina| 2,048,628
7: Illinois | 1,866,414
8: Maryland | 1,700,298
9: Virginia | 1,551,399
10: Louisiana | 1,452,396

Source : List of U.S. states by African-American population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What surprised me the most on this list is Florida at #2. Mostly because even though the state was the third to secede the Union before it joined the US, Florida was attracting a large number of Africans and African Americans from British-occupied North America who sought freedom from slavery.
Once in Florida, the Spanish Crown converted them to Roman Catholicism and gave them freedom. Those ex-slaves settled in a community north of St. Augustine, called Gracia Real de Santa Teresa de Mose, the first freedom settlement of its kind in what became the United States. Many of those slaves were also welcomed by Creek and Seminole Native Americans who had established settlements there at the invitation of the Spanish government.

Florida doesn't have much of a past with slavery since it joined the Union as a slave state in 1845. Legal Slavery lasted less than two decades in Florida so it doesn't have that same Confederacy association with the stain of slavery. You don't see monuments scattered to the Confederacy across the state like you do in other Southern states.

Last edited by MiamiRob; 12-06-2012 at 10:01 PM..

Old 12-06-2012, 09:49 PM

56,676 posts, read 80,995,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yep, and like traditionally Southern states, they can be found in rural areas in the coastal plain region of the state (i.e., DelMarVa peninsula).
Also known as the Eastern Shore. Eventhough it can be debated, Maryland has the characteristics of a Southern state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or