U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2012, 09:06 AM

56,674 posts, read 80,995,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
People with means no matter who they are tend to leave the city and move to the suburbs. But the mass migrations were people who had nothing, share croppers. Perhaps the title of a book waiting to be written would be "No more promise land' For centuries black people have always known that there was some place better. It appears that now they believe there is no place better. Maybe they think their bag of survival skills will only work in the urban center of the city.
There are still plenty of working-upper middle class Black people in Northern cities and many Northern Black folks just move to the suburbs and even small towns. Actually, many small Northern towns/cities had more of a Black community several decades ago than they do now, even if the population of that community stayed roughly the same or grew in recent years. Places like Owego, Norwich, Oswego, Little Falls, Peterboro and Canajoharie in Upstate NY each had churches that worshipped in the African American tradition at one time and some for around a century or so. LeRoy and Mumford are small Upstate NY towns that still have such churches and have for well over a century. So, not all Northern Black folks live in urban neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 09:47 AM

29,946 posts, read 27,415,389 times
Quote:
People with means no matter who they are tend to leave the city and move to the suburbs. But the mass migrations were people who had nothing, share croppers. Perhaps the title of a book waiting to be written would be "No more promise land' For centuries black people have always known that there was some place better. It appears that now they believe there is no place better. Maybe they think their bag of survival skills will only work in the urban center of the city.
I have absolutely no clue what you're talking about here. As I stated, many Blacks are leaving the urban cores of major cities for the suburbs, either in their own metro areas or metro areas down South and since the 70's, there's been a general trend of Blacks moving to the South. I just don't understand the point you're trying to make at all. Furthermore, I don't get why you're another one trying to make Blacks some special case here. What about poor rural Whites in Appalachia who don't go anywhere?

Old 12-15-2012, 10:22 AM

9,443 posts, read 10,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
What about poor rural Whites in Appalachia who don't go anywhere?
They might own land? or a sliver of a flat spot near a river in the woods , you can do something with that.
I have been to all those places and talked to all the people. I spent ten years at a sales job with national territory. I can safely say I have spend cumulatively a week to six weeks in, most large urban ghettos and maybe a 1000 tiny cities no one ever heard of . I would do Appalachia and Harlem in the same week and go to Providence over the weekend. I have been to places where no one has ever seen a black person before. I have been to towns of 20,000-30,000 people and only one black resident,. I am baffled why some black people in the large urban ghetto's feel they can start a new life some where unless it is populated by other blacks.

I once met a black family in town that was no more than .01% black. Turns out they visited to see one of their children during a college visit. They enjoyed themselves so much they went back to one of the most populated black ghetto's in America and packed up the family an moved to that city. That's what I'm talking about.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 12-15-2012 at 10:38 AM..

Old 12-15-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
They might own land? or a sliver of a flat spot near a river in the woods , you can do something with that.
Land ownership isn't a ticket out of poverty. Plenty of Blacks who moved to the North and West during the Great Migration owned land.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:59 AM

6,514 posts, read 9,066,311 times
So why don't blacks move into Appalachia? Or even New England? Is it because they will only go where other blacks live?

The Kansas City Chiefs football player who was recently in the news for murdering his girlfriend and killing himself came from the University of Maine. Maine is the second whitest state in the country, at 95% white.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Land ownership isn't a ticket out of poverty. Plenty of Blacks who moved to the North and West during the Great Migration owned land.
You should listen to some of the stories blacks have told about why they left their own land between 1910-1930 in the first and second wave of the black migrations. Keep in mind it wasn't illegal to hang blacks until around 1937. For most of them being able to keep their land would have keep them in the South. The department of Agriculture recently began to settle old cases. Black farmers were not given loans to farm and lost their land due taxes and not being able to produce a living on it.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I have been to all those places and talked to all the people. I spent ten years at a sales job with national territory. I can safely say I have spend cumulatively a week to six weeks in, most large urban ghettos and maybe a 1000 tiny cities no one ever heard of . I would do Appalachia and Harlem in the same week and go to Providence over the weekend. I have been to places where no one has ever seen a black person before. I have been to towns of 20,000-30,000 people and only one black resident,. I am baffled why some black people in the large urban ghetto's feel they can start a new life some where unless it is populated by other blacks.

I once met a black family in town that was no more than .01% black. Turns out they visited to see one of their children during a college visit. They enjoyed themselves so much they went back to one of the most populated black ghetto's in America and packed up the family an moved to that city. That's what I'm talking about.
You are extremely uninformed. You must think that the major urban centers of the North and West already had large Black populations prior to the Great Migration. As far as the anecdote you cite, unless they moved for a job, I don't see the relevance.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
So why don't blacks move into Appalachia? Or even New England? Is it because they will only go where other blacks live?

The Kansas City Chiefs football player who was recently in the news for murdering his girlfriend and killing himself came from the University of Maine. Maine is the second whitest state in the country, at 95% white.
Because Appalachia and New England (outside of Boston) aren't major jobs centers, duh. That's why they aren't seeing lots of growth from any demographic.

This is getting exhausting.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
You should listen to some of the stories blacks have told about why they left their own land between 1910-1930 in the first and second wave of the black migrations. Keep in mind it wasn't illegal to hang blacks until around 1937. For most of them being able to keep their land would have keep them in the South. The department of Agriculture recently began to settle old cases. Black farmers were not given loans to farm and lost their land due taxes and not being able to produce a living on it.
Almost all of my family on my mom's side of the family back in my hometown in SC lives on land bequeathed to us by my great-grandmother; I'm very familiar with this subject, thank you. And you actually help prove my point here. In the absence of such oppression and discrimination, why did poor Whites in Appalachia not make major moves out of the region? The Scots-Irish are still concentrated in that region of the country by and large.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Almost all of my family on my mom's side of the family back in my hometown in SC lives on land bequeathed to us by my great-grandmother; I'm very familiar with this subject, thank you. And you actually help prove my point here. In the absence of such oppression and discrimination, why did poor Whites in Appalachia not make major moves out of the region? The Scots-Irish are still concentrated in that region of the country by and large.
The stayed because they were allowed to stay. Many Blacks were forced off Their land. In the absence of discrimination and oppression? why would whites leave their home if they were being treated well or If banks loaned them money? It wasn't just poverty, it was the Klan that forced Blacks out of the South. IMO blacks went north because the Klan had too many enemies in the north,i.e., with Jews ,Catholics, and emigrants.

You have to be able to borrow money from a bank to farm . Blacks came to Kansas in hopes of farming cotton as early as the 1870's. Not only did the bank refused to loan them money but laughed at their ignorance. They all believed that cotton could not be grown in Kansas. Today cotton is grown in Kansas and Ag business is promoting the crop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or