U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2012, 03:53 PM

9,429 posts, read 10,185,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, the Klan was prevalent in the North too. Remember that they were anti Catholic and anti Jewish as well and had active chapters in the Northeast and Midwest. For instance, Indiana was pretty much ran by the Klan in the 1920's and Binghamton had a Klan HQ for Upstate NY during that time. So, why did those groups stay in those regions?
It is a misnomer that Blacks are afraid of the Klan. They are not. I live a mere 10 miles from an area that still has "fond " memories of the Klan and I assume many whites I see and know are Klan..big deal
What blacks were leaving is not having legal recourse against the Klan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 03:55 PM

13,300 posts, read 10,493,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
This may qualify as the DUMBEST post I've ever read on C-D!
I guess your reading is rather limited then.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
There are currently 19 Black people in the house of representatives in the South. Black senators are a lot rarer. There have only been 4 Black senators in modern times in the whole United States.

African Americans in the United States Congress - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I had outdated information, but the point that I was trying to make was that considering the number of blacks that lived in the soutern states historically they have had limited representation on the federal level

Old 12-15-2012, 04:03 PM

29,905 posts, read 27,355,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Perhaps we have a semantic disagreement, but you may be well out of your league on this subject. There is not very many books on this subject I have not read over the last 30th years. Maybe your arrogance is why you assume I am not aware of the most elementary aspects of black migration. Notwithstanding the fact that I am a descendant of four black families that all left the south with four different stories from between 1870 and 1940.

There is nothing significant as to why black migration patterns mimic overall migration patterns. Blacks are American and tend to do what other Americans are doing
BWAHAHAHAHA!!!! Now you're trying to play the "Who's Blacker?" game?? Lol!! Rest assured there's nothing unique about your story at all.

You dived into this conversation with ridiculous characterizations and assertions about Black folks that have little basis in current facts and those things are what you've been checked on.

And if you're going to play the intellectual superiority card and say I'm out of my league, I suggest you check your grammar.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:18 PM

797 posts, read 1,159,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I had outdated information, but the point that I was trying to make was that considering the number of blacks that lived in the soutern states historically they have had limited representation on the federal level
Well you would have been a lot more successful at making that point if you would have had correct information which would have avoided a lot of confusion. Historically you would be correct. But in more recent times they are not. Especially considering that Congressional districts are gerrymandered, so that there are many Black/minority majority districts in the South.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:25 PM

9,429 posts, read 10,185,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
BWAHAHAHAHA!!!! Now you're trying to play the "Who's Blacker?" game?? Lol!! Rest assured there's nothing unique about your story at all.

You dived into this conversation with ridiculous characterizations and assertions about Black folks that have little basis in current facts and those things are what you've been checked on.

And if you're going to play the intellectual superiority card and say I'm out of my league, I suggest you check your grammar.
I don't post on forums to get grades . again there is nothing significant about my story other than the fact that I know it to be true like millions of others . I can tell by your arrogance and your uncivil tone that I am no doubt your superior. Sorry, I apologize ,I didn't know this was black studies 101

Alright grasshopper why did some black leave the South and why did some stay, why did some chooses Harlem why did some chose Chicago, why did some chose Kansas or Texas?

Last edited by thriftylefty; 12-15-2012 at 04:35 PM..

Old 12-15-2012, 04:31 PM

56,569 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
It is a misnomer that Blacks are afraid of the Klan. They are not. I live a mere 10 miles from an area that still has "fond " memories of the Klan and I assume many whites I see and know are Klan..big deal
What blacks were leaving is not having legal recourse against the Klan.
I never said Black folks were scared of the Klan and trust me when I say they aren't. My point is that in spite of any antagonistic factors, many different groups stay in areas of high concentration. This has been mentioned in various ways throughout this thread.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:41 PM

6,513 posts, read 9,052,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I guess your reading is rather limited then.
Don't try to defend yourself on that one, you made a very dumb comment, plain and simple. There are plenty of black judges, DA's, Congressional house representatives and black mayors in the south. The only thing they're missing are Governors and Senators.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:02 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,369,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
If you talk in raw numbers, despite having a smaller % of blacks representing the total population, some of those midwestern states have more blacks than deep south states.

Example? Illinois is only 15% and Louisiana is 32% black, but Illinois has 1.9 million blacks while Louisiana has 1.4 million blacks. Ohio is only 12% black while South Carolina is 28% black, but Ohio has 1.4 million blacks while South Carolina has 1.3 million. Also, NC and VA have more blacks than Mississippi, Alabama, etc. Blacks just make up a larger % of the latter 2 states' total population.

Now here's where you'll notice the REAL difference. In the deep south, the black population is more widespread. Example, most of the rural counties of Middle and South Georgia have lots of blacks people, as opposed to up north where the black population is almost exclusively in or near metropolitan cities.

African American Population Demographics
I'm surprised you can see blacks in the dark! jk

Old 12-15-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Don't try to defend yourself on that one, you made a very dumb comment, plain and simple. There are plenty of black judges, DA's, Congressional house representatives and black mayors in the south. The only thing they're missing are Governors and Senators.
I owned up on my mistake and clarified it (thanks Jimbo) I can't help that you only seen what you wanted to see. Like I said before the number of black Congressmen and women have historically been lower in the south in comparision to the numbers of blacks that live there, AND there are NO senators at all. So why is it a dumb comment, even after I corrected the number?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or