Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 09:45 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,325,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
The bustling black business districts in the south today should be viewed as relative to some thing similar existing in New York in 1784.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 10:02 AM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Relative | Define Relative at Dictionary.com

Relative
adjective
considered in relation to something else; comparative: the relative merits of democracy and monarchy.
existing or having its specific nature only by relation to something else; not absolute or independent: Happiness is relative.
having relation or connection.
having reference or regard; relevant; pertinent (usually followed by to ): to determine the facts relative to an accident.
correspondent; proportionate: Value is relative to demand.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Relative | Define Relative at Dictionary.com

Relative
adjective
considered in relation to something else; comparative: the relative merits of democracy and monarchy.
existing or having its specific nature only by relation to something else; not absolute or independent: Happiness is relative.
having relation or connection.
having reference or regard; relevant; pertinent (usually followed by to ): to determine the facts relative to an accident.
correspondent; proportionate: Value is relative to demand.
I'm well aware of the definition of the word relative. But to suggest that the black business community in the present day South "should be viewed" as relative to anything anywhere in 1784 is downright ludicrous.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:10 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Keep in mind that many Northern states had slavery too. Remember that NY didn't end it until 1827. So, it isn't surprising to see Black people in Harlem and Blacks built the wall for Wall Street, as the Dutch had slaves in New Amsterdam. That's why you can find Black people with Dutch surnames in NY.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
I'm well aware of the definition of the word relative. But to suggest that the black business community in the present day South "should be viewed" as relative to anything anywhere in 1784 is downright ludicrous.
I guess my point is why is a black business down south so significant if the same thing existed in New York a lot earlier. I would expect that after the turn of the century the south wasn't the only place in the US that had a thriving black business district. Iowa had one in 1884

A small black business district developed on Fifth Street, starting in 1884 when Linsey Pitts, a former slave from Missouri and a Civil War veteran who had previously worked as a laborer and barber, opened his saloon at 120 E. Fifth St. By 1886, Mattie Burke, who ran a combination saloon and house of prostitution (serving both blacks and whites), moved her business to 124 E. Fifth from Front Street (in the 1870s, about a half dozen black women ran prostitution businesses on Front Street and on the blocks east of Brady Street downtown). In 1888 a city directory described her business as a restaurant, which would have complemented Pitts' saloon. Pitts' business did well. In 1890, Pitts' saloon was assessed at $340; the next year, $1,740. It also attracted other businesses. By 1890, four black businesses and households had moved to the same block, and by 1900 there were 10, with Pitts' saloon acting as an "anchor" for the little business district, which faced the Chicago Rock Island & Peoria railroad tracks just east of Brady Street. The businesses were two blocks from the CRPI&P depot, from which black dining-car workers, porters and passengers might visit.[8]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African...avenport,_Iowa

Old 12-16-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I guess my point is why is a black business down south so significant if the same thing existed in New York a lot earlier. I would expect that after the turn of the century the south wasn't the only place in the US that had a thriving black business district. Iowa had one in 1884

A small black business district developed on Fifth Street, starting in 1884 when Linsey Pitts, a former slave from Missouri and a Civil War veteran who had previously worked as a laborer and barber, opened his saloon at 120 E. Fifth St. By 1886, Mattie Burke, who ran a combination saloon and house of prostitution (serving both blacks and whites), moved her business to 124 E. Fifth from Front Street (in the 1870s, about a half dozen black women ran prostitution businesses on Front Street and on the blocks east of Brady Street downtown). In 1888 a city directory described her business as a restaurant, which would have complemented Pitts' saloon. Pitts' business did well. In 1890, Pitts' saloon was assessed at $340; the next year, $1,740. It also attracted other businesses. By 1890, four black businesses and households had moved to the same block, and by 1900 there were 10, with Pitts' saloon acting as an "anchor" for the little business district, which faced the Chicago Rock Island & Peoria railroad tracks just east of Brady Street. The businesses were two blocks from the CRPI&P depot, from which black dining-car workers, porters and passengers might visit.[8]

African Americans in Davenport, Iowa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just because black owned businesses existed in that day does not mean that they are somehow equivalent to anything in the present day. The idea that New York had the "same thing" in 1784 is absolutely preposterous.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:19 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Just because black owned businesses existed in that day does not mean that they are somehow equivalent to anything in the present day. The idea that New York had the "same thing" in 1784 is absolutely preposterous.
I felt some of my brain cells withering away going back and forth with that dude. Save yourself the time and effort.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Relatively "The same thing"
I only come on these forums for mindless folly or to be a gadfly. I have been an independent scholar of African African culture for many years. This particular thread is too much fun. There are some posters who really haven't contributed any real substantive information other than to criticize and challenge grammar and semantics.

When I was much younger I would spend my own money (up to $1000.00) to present my papers at a gathering of academic scholars. Although all of the scholars were far superior to me and well published, not once did anyone of them try to humiliate , criticize or challenge myself or any other researcher presenting. because they knew on some level everyone could collaborate with each other.

There always would be a fellow who would show up to these affairs just to criticize or to challenge certain researchers. I remember one such occasion when we were all car pooling to have dinner he found him self standing in the hotel lobby alone it was sad. He had nothing to contribute but criticism.

I remember after many years of attending these academic gatherings a writer whom I have the utmost respect for deferred to me and called me Dr. Thriftylefty. tears almost weld up, but I digress.
This is amusement to me to tire out challengers and criticizers, I have sat around a few people who are the Nationally known authorities on subjects regarding African American culture and history. and had to present my research.

It is a shame more posters don't used these forums to collaborate, that's what the internet is for.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:49 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
I check this thread for my daily laughs. Thanks guys!

Old 12-16-2012, 02:10 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I check this thread for my daily laughs. Thanks guys!
Says the Guy that asked this word answer question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.