U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 04:23 PM

6,419 posts, read 10,869,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Relatively "The same thing"
I only come on these forums for mindless folly or to be a gadfly.
No, not even relatively. Not even remotely. If you can't see that, I can't help you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 04:51 PM

6,514 posts, read 9,063,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Says the Guy that asked this word answer question.
Anymore it's gotten a little off topic, and the back and forth bickering is hilarious. Sorry if you can't see it.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:29 PM

13,300 posts, read 10,500,602 times
Remembering Black Wall Street: The True Story - Black History ...

Black Wall Street - Black Holocaust in America

In reference to Black Wall St maybe this is what the pollster meant

Old 12-16-2012, 07:07 PM

56,666 posts, read 80,973,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Anymore it's gotten a little off topic, and the back and forth bickering is hilarious. Sorry if you can't see it.
I do, but you also have to understand why people view the question the way they do. That's all.

Here are other examples of prominent African American business districts/concentrations(or at least at one time): Sweet Auburn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Black Wallstreet - Durham - SoulOfAmerica

Beale Street | Entries | Tennessee Encyclopedia

Fourth Avenue - Birmingham - SoulOfAmerica

Old 12-18-2012, 11:36 AM

520 posts, read 869,839 times
I'm not gonna read through the whole thread. Please, someone just tell me this wasn't a serious question.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:10 PM

6,419 posts, read 10,869,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lerner View Post
I'm not gonna read through the whole thread. Please, someone just tell me this wasn't a serious question.
Probably a good idea to not read through the whole thing, unless you're looking for an alternative for drugs as a way to kill brain cells.

And sadly, yes, it was a serious question.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:06 PM

8,813 posts, read 10,717,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lerner View Post

there are children. There are foreigners. There are foreign children. It doesnt seem implausible that there are people on the earth with access to the internet, and to US demographic data, who haven't the foggiest about US history.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, the Klan was prevalent in the North too. Remember that they were anti Catholic and anti Jewish as well and had active chapters in the Northeast and Midwest. For instance, Indiana was pretty much ran by the Klan in the 1920's and Binghamton had a Klan HQ for Upstate NY during that time. So, why did those groups stay in those regions?

there were three emergences of the klan of importance in American history. The reconstruction era klan, the 1920s klan, and the civil rights era klan. Only the second focused on Jews and Catholics as well as blacks.

the 1920s klan though strong in the north, and notoriously dominant in Indiana, was not AFAIK strong in the parts of the northeast where most Jews and Catholics lived. I am not aware of (though am ready to be enlightened about) klan activity in NY and New England. Even in the states where it was strong, it was heavily a rural phenomenon - active in places with few Jews, and not that many Catholics. By contrast the three emergences of the klan in the South were largely in areas with heavy black populations.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
So why don't blacks move into Appalachia? Or even New England? Is it because they will only go where other blacks live?

The Kansas City Chiefs football player who was recently in the news for murdering his girlfriend and killing himself came from the University of Maine. Maine is the second whitest state in the country, at 95% white.

There are significant black populations in Boston, Hartford, and New Haven. That the black population of urban new england is not as high as in the Midwest largely has to do with economic conditions at the time of the largest black northward migration - from roughly 1910 to 1950 or so. It was a time of rapid economic growth in the urban midwest, and of relative decline in New England.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I would ask why are there so many Blacks in places like; Detroit, Washington DC, Chicago and East St. Louis?
Why do they live in dilapidated section 8 tenement buildings amid gun fire when they can moved to some catfish holler down south and live safe and poor a dirty shack that they can still call their own?

AFAICT for the most part blacks with the entrepreneurial drive and inclination to leave such places, move either to the suburbs of those communities, to southern cities, or similar economically stronger places - not to impoverished small southern towns where educational prospects are poor. Those who lack such drive are more likely to stay where their social support networks are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or