Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2012, 03:36 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,262,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Federal appointees aren't elected officials--they are just that, appointed--so I fail to see your point.
Ok, why are'nt there any blacks representing southern states in the US Senate or Congress considering the number of blacks that live there. In other words why are'nt they represented in Washington?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 03:45 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,896,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Ok, why are'nt there any blacks representing southern states in the US Senate or Congress considering the number of blacks that live there. In other words why are'nt they represented in Washington?
they are!! do you know hkw many black congressmen we have in the house???

Old 12-15-2012, 03:47 PM

3,068 posts, read 7,979,675 times
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/cedric_richmond

Old 12-15-2012, 04:03 PM

91,996 posts, read 122,107,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
The stayed because they were allowed to stay. Many Blacks were forced off Their land. In the absence of discrimination and oppression? why would whites leave their home if they were being treated well or If banks loaned them money? It wasn't just poverty, it was the Klan that forced Blacks out of the South. IMO blacks went north because the Klan had too many enemies in the north,i.e., with Jews ,Catholics, and emigrants.

You have to be able to borrow money from a bank to farm . Blacks came to Kansas in hopes of farming cotton as early as the 1870's. Not only did the bank refused to loan them money but laughed at their ignorance. They all believed that cotton could not be grown in Kansas. Today cotton is grown in Kansas and Ag business is promoting the crop.
Actually, the Klan was prevalent in the North too. Remember that they were anti Catholic and anti Jewish as well and had active chapters in the Northeast and Midwest. For instance, Indiana was pretty much ran by the Klan in the 1920's and Binghamton had a Klan HQ for Upstate NY during that time. So, why did those groups stay in those regions?

Old 12-15-2012, 04:08 PM

37,793 posts, read 41,479,186 times
Quote:
There are tons of Southern Black Congressional representatives in the House. Seriously, a quick Google search is all you need here.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:16 PM

37,793 posts, read 41,479,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
The stayed because they were allowed to stay. Many Blacks were forced off Their land. In the absence of discrimination and oppression? why would whites leave their home if they were being treated well or If banks loaned them money? It wasn't just poverty, it was the Klan that forced Blacks out of the South. IMO blacks went north because the Klan had too many enemies in the north,i.e., with Jews ,Catholics, and emigrants.
You're giving me a headache. A lot of the land in Appalachia isn't even suitable for agricultural purposes which is why the region never had a large slave population. My point in bringing up Appalachia is that there is entrenched, generational poverty in the region but somehow it makes sense to you that poor Whites largely remain in the region, but you're confused as to why Black migration patterns largely mimic overall migration patterns. You're not making any sense with your line of reasoning here whatsoever.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:23 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,262,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
they are!! do you know hkw many black congressmen we have in the house???

I stand corrected, there are 41 black congressmen/women total, 9 voting in the southern states but there are NO SENATORS at all.

Old 12-15-2012, 04:36 PM

814 posts, read 1,464,959 times
Quote:
I stand corrected, there are 41 black congressmen/women total, 9 voting in the southern states but there are NO SENATORS at all.
There are currently 19 Black people in the house of representatives in the South. Black senators are a lot rarer. There have only been 4 Black senators in modern times in the whole United States.

African Americans in the United States Congress - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-15-2012, 04:42 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,777,695 times
Quote:
This may qualify as the DUMBEST post I've ever read on C-D!

Old 12-15-2012, 04:49 PM

12,881 posts, read 13,546,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You're giving me a headache. A lot of the land in Appalachia isn't even suitable for agricultural purposes which is why the region never had a large slave population. My point in bringing up Appalachia is that there is entrenched, generational poverty in the region but somehow it makes sense to you that poor Whites largely remain in the region, but you're confused as to why Black migration patterns largely mimic overall migration patterns. You're not making any sense with your line of reasoning here whatsoever.
Perhaps we have a semantic disagreement, but you may be well out of your league on this subject. There is not very many books on this subject I have not read over the last 30th years. Maybe your arrogance is why you assume I am not aware of the most elementary aspects of black migration. Notwithstanding the fact that I am a descendant of four black families that all left the south with four different stories from between 1870 and 1940.

There is nothing significant as to why black migration patterns mimic overall migration patterns. Blacks are American and tend to do what other Americans are doing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.