U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 01:31 AM

389 posts, read 791,180 times

Advertisements

Just let me make this clear: this post is about using intelligent tactics, boosting you ego, self-confidence, making yourself famous, successful; not directly attacking other people.

I wanna sign up for volunteer activities in my "foe"'s small hometown to help with volunteer activities this christmas season. I think about getting involved in local church, read or help with decorations. I am not sure where else they could look for help. When I asked village, they knew nothing of voluntary program and referred me to a town's paper that said they don't list such activities either. Some other towns, have Voluntary Initiative Program where they have a centralized reference and can help you assign automatically to your desired interest. Unfortunately this town doesn't. So where else can I look for help besides church and town's bureaucrats? Google keywords reveal nothing. But I know there must be some sources that locate charity and community organizations.

Few years ago, in college, my former two best friends turned worst and bullied me by excluding me in large social events they got themselves involved in because I came out of closet. And this was in Chicago, though in catholic school and they came from conservative background from small towns. They ignored my complaints, pleas. School deans refused to talk to them because they were not technically doing anything illegal. It was perfectly legal for them make weird looks, smirk in student center and even have negative influence on some of my classmates. I was depressed and on edge of suicide but with help of my doctor and counseling I found some recovery.

After that I graduated, got a job, made some friends and moved on. But I still have this ambition to do something about that, even though the best revenge is just forget about your enemies.
I wanna show off myself and rub into my enemy's face by people talking about me, writing about me in local newspaper, mentioning me doing good things in his town. The chance my foe would be there is >1%, because I never saw him in school getting involved in student organizations, except fraternity. Other than that he played guitar in band in some pubs but I can't play on guitar.
In addition since he got job, he also no longer lives there except his parents which he visits.

The other thing that comes to my mind is to put classified in local newspaper offer some a free service with repairing computers which I am good at.

Other ideas?

That way I can simply exercise my rights legally while not personally harras them which they cannot really do anything about it. And since I do not live in his small town, if he decided to strike with rumors, etc it won't affect me.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:36 AM

So to rephrase my whole question with explanation, maybe this one simple question is enough:
How to make yourself popular or known in a small town (1000) if you are not from there?

Thx

Old 12-04-2012, 03:09 AM

38,000 posts, read 55,769,955 times
I think you should post your question in your State or General US forum.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 12-04-2012, 03:44 AM

4,557 posts, read 5,123,610 times
[Mod cut]

In order to get any really useful tips, OP should post the name of the city in which he wants to do "good". He already stated that he asked the church and local newspapers for advice on how to find some jobs. So obviously it's even hard for the OP to find some community organization. Maybe some other residents of the town can help out with concrete suggestions.

Nevertheless, I still think the idea is ridiculous.

Last edited by elnina; 12-04-2012 at 04:02 AM..

Old 12-04-2012, 03:58 AM

2,305 posts, read 1,520,550 times
Quote:
I wanna show off myself and rub into my enemy's face by people talking about me, writing about me in local newspaper, mentioning me doing good things in his town.
This sounds like the ultimate ego trip. Volunteer to be a good person, not to make other people look bad. Volunteering for revenge is the complete opposite of what volunteering is about. If you want to "show yourself off", then be yourself, not someone you're not. I was once mentioned in a newspaper (good reason!) but I never picked up that newspaper because I'm not obsessed with myself. I think that you should just move on with your life and act like an adult. The only thing that your post screams is a complete obsession with yourself, and that's dangerous territory. Nobody sane likes a person that's all about themselves, you have to start thinking about other people, and forgetting about those that have done harm to you.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:03 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,499,375 times
Small towns, and especially the folks which have been there a lifetime, are rather like a clique. I know that used to be the case in my hometown. It's not as much like that these days as the town has had a huge turnover of people in the last 10 years so at least 50% of the town is rather new and not a part of the old crowd.

You must keep in mind that most small towns don't offer of lot of activity to get to be known as a famous person or even as just a locally known person. Most towns or the county the town is in has a food pantry which offers services to the local persons who need help with their grocery and staples. Our town is less than 1,000 and we have one. Food pantries always need persons to help. It might only be on the day the food baskets are to be delivered but it could be on the day that the food needs to be picked up from the area food bank. Or it could be gathering boxes, or separating the food as these food items typically come in large quanity packaging. There is a need for volunteers! Perhaps check to see if there is a food pantry in your town.

Secondly, there are typically places where the senior citizens have a meal ----- "meals on wheels" and other similar names. The places which handle the cooking and delivery of these meals, are usually on the lookout for helpers. Delivery of these meals to shut-ins are so important. And sometimes the cook needs help in serving or cleaning up afterwards.

The next suggestion would be one of the helpers in the county in which you live, who go around and help the shut ins. Sometimes it's helping a person clean up or helping to wash their hair or just doing a load of laundry. Or, the town might have a library where help is needed.

I'm sure there are others but these are what I can think of that typically are available to gain you star status in a small town. But or course my idea of star status and your might be different. I'm not quite sure why you would think that working with a church group or the town's bureaucrats as you call them would not be something you would want to do.....these people might be the best to help you get out of your shell and gain notoriety that you feel is so important. While these suggestions may not seem like something which would get you notoriety, the small things are what are so important in a small town. If a volunteer doesn't do it, who will do it? Things like these volunteer efforts may not get your name in the newspaper, but why should that matter so much? It's what's felt in the heart that counts!

And my last comment is certainly not to discredit your thoughts in getting famous because you want to show off in your foe's eyes and it certainly is not intended to discredit you in any other way, but to live in a small town, you probably should lose the "larger town" feelings that you might have that everyone is against you as well as the need to show off for your foe.....small town folks are rather perpective and see through people's veils. Just be yourself and most importantly be honest and do volunteer service for the right reason....because it's needed and not for self-satisfaction.

Old 12-04-2012, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
[Mod cut]

In order to get any really useful tips, OP should post the name of the city in which he wants to do "good". He already stated that he asked the church and local newspapers for advice on how to find some jobs. So obviously it's even hard for the OP to find some community organization. Maybe some other residents of the town can help out with concrete suggestions.

Nevertheless, I still think the idea is ridiculous.
well thats in in a small town in Illinois, I don't wanna post name fearing google search could pick up on my thread and folks from that town would read my threads

Old 12-04-2012, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quert View Post
This sounds like the ultimate ego trip. Volunteer to be a good person, not to make other people look bad. Volunteering for revenge is the complete opposite of what volunteering is about. If you want to "show yourself off", then be yourself, not someone you're not. I was once mentioned in a newspaper (good reason!) but I never picked up that newspaper because I'm not obsessed with myself. I think that you should just move on with your life and act like an adult. The only thing that your post screams is a complete obsession with yourself, and that's dangerous territory. Nobody sane likes a person that's all about themselves, you have to start thinking about other people, and forgetting about those that have done harm to you.
perhaps I will rethink my attitude and strategy. But u have to remember, only fools have friends and make no enemies. Enemies in life exist to challenge us. I am not talking about war criminal types, just most common, like "frenemy" everyone has. Friends exist to guide us and enemies to give us tasks. There is a reason we not always cooperate but compete. And competition can be a sometimes a good thing and its not just about business but also personal matters that we value and are important to us.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:12 AM

11,151 posts, read 14,148,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem_223 View Post
Other ideas?

Let it go and move on with your life.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:47 AM

8,178 posts, read 16,550,391 times
The best revenge tactic you can do is to forgive them and don't let their bullying affect your life in any way any more.
Go out, be successful and that will show them that you really didn't need them in the 1st place.

Your anger/resentment gives them power over you. No matter what you achieve in life, it will be tainted by the control they still have over you.

Let.it.go!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or