U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 05:55 AM

8 posts, read 15,681 times

Advertisements

Im thinking about going to USA to study english (Im brazilian) but I dont know where I should go hahah Well, Im searching for a city full of pubs, night clubs, a good nightlife in general. But Im also worried about the quality of life, Id like to go to a place thats not so violent. If there are beaches or other good atractions in the city, it would count too. So what cities do you suggest me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 11:56 AM

9,384 posts, read 9,548,809 times
Providence, RI or New Bedford, MA that area also has a high amount of Portugese and Brazillians, (if seems you are proficient in English) so you will not feel like a fish out of water completely.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:04 PM

14,800 posts, read 17,723,856 times
Austin, Texas is a very safe city with great nightlife. Awesome city, warm weather, nice scenery just west of town.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:25 PM

17,259 posts, read 19,560,434 times
If you want a "beach city" with good night life, then Miami and Los Angeles are the two that immediately come to mind.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:32 PM

3,664 posts, read 5,549,879 times
Your best options for visiting in the US with your criteria:

Miami
San Diego
San Antonio
Tampa

Also consider:

NYC
Chicago
Boston
Philadelphia
San Antonio

Old 12-04-2012, 03:17 PM

933 posts, read 1,608,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Your best options for visiting in the US with your criteria:

Miami
San Diego
San Antonio
Tampa

Also consider:

NYC
Chicago
Boston
Philadelphia
San Antonio
I might replace San Antonio with Austin, otherwise I agree with this list.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:10 AM

6,620 posts, read 11,678,233 times
Austin.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:03 AM

5,239 posts, read 6,765,630 times
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Loch Lomond, in their metro area has a high percentage of native Brazilians. So that area might work well for you.

Here is a list of the Top 101 cities with the most residents born in Brazil. You didn't mention anything about climate preferences? I never cared for Austin, Texas, I think its vastly overrated, but others find it the fair-haired child of Texas. Maybe the list will be of some help. Visit the state forums too. Good Luck.

http://www.city-data.com/top2/h153.html

Old 12-05-2012, 06:54 AM

8 posts, read 15,681 times
Actually, Im not looking for brazilians once I wanna go there to practice my english. But I like some suggestions.. Lately Ive been thinking about Los Angeles, but it seems to be extremely big, and I heard people saying its also violent, full of gangs and stuff. Even though, I guess LA is one of my best options, its beaches are great, the nightlife must be good too once its one of the most important cities in US and also in the world. But searching a little bit about it, I found out that most of parties there end up at 2 AM because its not allowed to have alcohol after that time. Is it common in all US or its only in LA? And does it bother or the night life still great?

Old 12-05-2012, 09:34 AM

933 posts, read 1,608,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Devlin View Post
Actually, Im not looking for brazilians once I wanna go there to practice my english. But I like some suggestions.. Lately Ive been thinking about Los Angeles, but it seems to be extremely big, and I heard people saying its also violent, full of gangs and stuff. Even though, I guess LA is one of my best options, its beaches are great, the nightlife must be good too once its one of the most important cities in US and also in the world. But searching a little bit about it, I found out that most of parties there end up at 2 AM because its not allowed to have alcohol after that time. Is it common in all US or its only in LA? And does it bother or the night life still great?
That is common throughout the US. I believe the only places with bars open past 2am are Vegas, Manhattan, Atlantic City and possibly Miami Beach? Someone posted a good list recently in CvC.

If you're not looking for an area with a big Brazilian population, try Philly. Why Philly? Because, **** you, that's why. You'd get that joke if you lived here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or