U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2012, 09:40 PM

487 posts, read 779,783 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm 21 currently at university in Vancouver BC for geography. I'm discovering that even for people with a lot of education--at least bachelor degrees--it's very expensive.
And even never eating out, I spend around $350 a month on groceries. When I visit the states it's insane how cheap Treader Joe's is.
I also am paying $2200 a class as an international student, from California.
I find it's harder to make friends here than in Santa Monica, where I moved from. People are rather cold & distant. Not rude, but not friendly either.

I'd like to move back to the states where things are so much more affordable, but it seems every city is either really small and boring (just shopping malls, religious people, party people)..or filled with crime, poverty, and high unemployment (Berkeley & surrounding Bay Area, Los Angeles unless you're wealthy enough to live in Santa Monica). I do love nature and enjoy cloudiness, so the Pacific Northwest, but find hipsters with their massive beards and beer obsession a little annoying. Not as annoying as loud people who blast mainstream hip hop, though. I also like painting, and there's not much interest in that here in Vancouver--while there's an art school the art generated by it and other galleries is generally quite bad. Also I could never live in the south because rednecks are much more annoying than hipsters. Salt Lake City is pretty, but Mormons are a little nutty in my book. Spokane, Washington sounded a little attractive until I saw the crime rate. Also I can't stand summers that get so hot I feel sluggish (like Fresno, California--90's and above more than one day in summer is out).

Anyone know what I mean? Is there any city that's fairly affordable, safe, and artsy, with smart young people who don't just go to hang out at bars all day, that isn't Portland or Seattle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 12:23 AM

5,242 posts, read 11,455,645 times
So you basically don't like anyone.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:05 AM

4,571 posts, read 7,029,475 times
Ann Arbor.

Old 08-26-2016, 05:28 PM

15,016 posts, read 4,794,830 times
Minneapolis/St. Paul will definitely offer a lot to do and should be more affordable than any major West Coast city. St. Paul is the less hipster of the two. Think most hipsters in the area are friendly, rather than insufferable. I grew up there. You would have to get used to cold winters.

I "second" considering Ann Arbor. Madison. WI might work too. Again, winters will likely be colder than where you have lived. Just so you know, in the fall a large percentage of the populace in both Ann Arbor and Madison are college football "fanatics" respectively for their Wolverines and Badgers. Both stadiums typically sell out. Only six or seven home games each year, so not liking it is no big deal, but it can't hurt. Lol.

Another possibility is Boulder, CO. It will be less expensive than the West Coast, but more expensive than the Midwest cities. Austin, TX likely gets too hot in the summer for you (similar heat to Fresno).

Boise, ID gets a little hot in summer too, but believe it is a dry heat and think it cools off more at night than both Austin and Fresno. It could be considered as well. Believe it will be preferable to Spokane.

Good luck!

Old 08-26-2016, 05:40 PM

15,016 posts, read 4,794,830 times
This is an old thread from 2012. Just realized. Fwiw, where did you decide to live?

Old 08-27-2016, 08:14 PM

252 posts, read 393,824 times
I was born in Santa Monica, Ca but Im from Topanga. You probably know where that is if you are from Santa Monica, Anyway I digress. Back to the question. So you don't like hipster type people, ok thats understandable, hipsters are yuppies in thift store clothing. You don't like mainstream hiphop, well. I understand that most mainstream music is kind-of lame but what other people are listening to in their cars and homes shouldn't dictate where you live. Maybe you should aim for slower paced life style in small or mid sized metro , opposed living to a more urban metropolis if you like nature. Majority of people in my generation around the ages of say (18-35) these days seem to want to live in an urban environment.

Last edited by 7stringguitarguy; 08-27-2016 at 08:37 PM..

Old 08-30-2016, 07:51 AM

100 posts, read 70,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
This is an old thread from 2012. Just realized. Fwiw, where did you decide to live?
Last activity: 1-12-2014

Old 08-30-2016, 11:31 AM

4,839 posts, read 2,973,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
so you basically don't like anyone.
:d

Old 08-30-2016, 01:18 PM

2,695 posts, read 985,647 times
I actually really identify with the OP here (not with everything she says, but her thought process) . The post perfectly illustrates that no place is perfect. You just pick the place that has the most of the things you like, or that excels in the things that are most important to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.