U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 05:18 PM

832 posts, read 1,378,025 times

Advertisements

Maybe Berea, Kentucky. I have never been there but from what I hear it fits your descriptions.

But it depends on what you consider a "major" airport. LEX is within an hour but CVG (Cincinnati) is another hour farther north.

I have been to Asheville, North Carolina and I liked it a lot. But I'm sure you've already heard much about it, based on what you're seeking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 05:47 PM

30 posts, read 49,901 times
Tempe Arizona lol

Old 12-08-2012, 11:31 PM

9,423 posts, read 18,320,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayah(812) View Post
Maybe Berea, Kentucky. I have never been there but from what I hear it fits your descriptions.

But it depends on what you consider a "major" airport. LEX is within an hour but CVG (Cincinnati) is another hour farther north.

I have been to Asheville, North Carolina and I liked it a lot. But I'm sure you've already heard much about it, based on what you're seeking.
How could one suggest anyplace in Kentucky to somebody who leans left/liberal? Even if it were a little liberal enclave or city, it would be like being in West Berlin.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:07 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,986,691 times
Taos, NM perhaps?

A short, scenic drive over to Santa Fe, which is serviced by Delta Airlines.

Madrid, NM maybe?
Equidistant between Albuquerque and Santa Fe Airports.

On the eastern half of the country, possibly Jim Thorpe, PA?
Very pretty and scenic. Perhaps only a 45 minute drive to Scranton regional airport.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:37 PM

55 posts, read 105,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
How could one suggest anyplace in Kentucky to somebody who leans left/liberal? Even if it were a little liberal enclave or city, it would be like being in West Berlin.
Except that every place with established liberal or bohemian culture is too expensive for actual artists, the ones without inhereted wealth or benefactors at least. The "artsy" places are actually for the "creative class" of corporate employees or trust funded, not actual artists. The time from the first migrations of marginal gentrifiers to point where gentrification has made a place unaffordable is 5 years and growing shorter, even in this prolonged recession. Only the overwhelming poverty and crime have acted as a roadblock in Detroit and Baltimore. The only places that artists can afford are either too dangerous or too socially incompatible.

Southern cities are inevitable at this point. Where else can you find housing stock under $99K near basic amenities without living in a war zone in this country? Cultural conflict is inevitable, as it erodes a place will become less affordable. Nashville's at the beginning of this process. I'm sure it'll be at Atlanta levels in another 5-7 years. There's no where else left to go.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:53 PM

56,542 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicewray View Post
Except that every place with established liberal or bohemian culture is too expensive for actual artists, the ones without inhereted wealth or benefactors at least. The "artsy" places are actually for the "creative class" of corporate employees or trust funded, not actual artists. The time from the first migrations of marginal gentrifiers to point where gentrification has made a place unaffordable is 5 years and growing shorter, even in this prolonged recession. Only the overwhelming poverty and crime have acted as a roadblock in Detroit and Baltimore. The only places that artists can afford are either too dangerous or too socially incompatible.

Southern cities are inevitable at this point. Where else can you find housing stock under $99K near basic amenities without living in a war zone in this country? Cultural conflict is inevitable, as it erodes a place will become less affordable. Nashville's at the beginning of this process. I'm sure it'll be at Atlanta levels in another 5-7 years. There's no where else left to go.
Actually, much of the inland Northeast fits your last paragraph, as does many parts of the Midwest.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:41 PM

55 posts, read 105,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, much of the inland Northeast fits your last paragraph, as does many parts of the Midwest.
True for some. Personally, I can't handle the cold, the greyness for so much of the year, the flatness (in some places), or the property taxes in most of the northeast. I lived in the upper Midwest for a few years when I was young and know I strongly dislike it. The closest I could get would be Pittsburgh, because the Appalachian location gives it some actual charm.

The advantages of southern cities include sunlight, warmth and hills. For all the negative aspects of southern cultures, two advantages are less competitive materialism and not treating every social situation as a pop quiz. I'm tired of the assumption that text-centered academia is the only viable way to process the world. I'm tired of feeling constantly side-eyed for lapses in social usefulness. Certain parts of the south might be more comfortable for a mistake-prone instinctual processor whose suseptable to SAD.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:20 AM

6,552 posts, read 13,750,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Huh? I am sure you have never actually BEEN to KY. Louisville is as liberal as any city in middle america and as liberal as some mid sized coastal cities. Rural KY is very conservative just like rural NM or anywhere.

To the OP, I think Louisville offers the best of all worlds. Big city amenities yet a small town feel, but it is certainly a "big city" compared to the burgs you are looking at, especially when you consider the outlying suburbs and S. Indiana burbs. The Highlands of Louisville, as thunderkat says, sums up everything you are looking for. Just one of many recent accolades:

Top U.S. travel destinations for 2013 - CNN.com

Old 12-10-2012, 12:24 AM

6,552 posts, read 13,750,608 times
Quote:

One word: Louisville. Seriously, try it. May be one of the better kept secrets out there. I am trying to get back there or Austin.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:58 AM

56,542 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Quote:
True for some. Personally, I can't handle the cold, the greyness for so much of the year, the flatness (in some places), or the property taxes in most of the northeast. I lived in the upper Midwest for a few years when I was young and know I strongly dislike it. The closest I could get would be Pittsburgh, because the Appalachian location gives it some actual charm.

The advantages of southern cities include sunlight, warmth and hills. For all the negative aspects of southern cultures, two advantages are less competitive materialism and not treating every social situation as a pop quiz. I'm tired of the assumption that text-centered academia is the only viable way to process the world. I'm tired of feeling constantly side-eyed for lapses in social usefulness. Certain parts of the south might be more comfortable for a mistake-prone instinctual processor whose suseptable to SAD.
This is different information than your previous post. Overall cost of living is still on par with Southern areas. Weather is subjective, as some will say thar the South is too hot and humid. Many cities in the areas I mentioned already have their artistic/hippy/Hipster type of neighborhood/area and have potential for more. So, you have variation in those areas that allow and already meet that criteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or