U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Next states to legalize recreational marijuana
Alaska 18 15.93%
Arizona 6 5.31%
California 59 52.21%
Connecticut 8 7.08%
DC 9 7.96%
Delaware 6 5.31%
Hawaii 22 19.47%
Maine 17 15.04%
Massachusetts 19 16.81%
Michigan 6 5.31%
Montana 5 4.42%
Nevada 12 10.62%
New Jersey 5 4.42%
New Mexico 11 9.73%
Oregon 51 45.13%
Rhode Island 7 6.19%
Vermont 26 23.01%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 12:14 PM

319 posts, read 383,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
And that's not happening now?
Agreed. Prohibition didn't work with alcohol, and it isn't working here. People who want to smoke pot will do so whether it's legal or not. People who don't want to... won't.

The biggest difference will be that, if legalized, our law enforcement and justice system won't have to waste any more of their time and money charging and prosecuting people who enjoy marijuana responsibly and can devote more energy on people who are actually doing something wrong.

I would guess that Oregon and Vermont will be among the next states to legalize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 12:42 PM

11,884 posts, read 10,395,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
California needs to legalize it soon, so Humboldt County can fufill it's destiny as the Napa Valley of ganja...

I'm still waiting to see what happens in Washington, right now it's confusing as to what they actually plan on doing as far as legal retail establishments selling weed...
Funny, I was sitting next to a guy from Humboldt on a plane from San Diego to San Francisco this past October and he was saying that many people up there do not want legalization and are content with the current set up. I mean, it's pretty crazy the amount of weed throughout the US and probably World that come from Northern Cali-some people are really doing well for themselves up there and they've upped the ante in quality-and better them than violent cartels pushing shwag in Mexico. People forget that Marijuana is the #1 Cash Crop in the US with a pound easily fetching $3-4,000. But yes, Napa Valley of ganja sounds amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
The Fed needs to stay out of this issue. It's a clear violation of the Tenth Amendment if they do override the states decision. However, here in Colorado, the DEA, the federal drug enforcement agency will come in and shut stuff down, but that's really only if the state requests them to, and that's only because they're doing other illegal things. So, in reality, the Fed has stayed out of the issue here.
That is good to hear-I've heard the DEA was causing trouble in Colorado since legalization, but I don't have a problem with it as much if the state itself requests their help on non related illegal things.

Here in Pennsylvania "medical marijuana" has a very strong likelihood of becoming legal, but here and now in nearly 2014 I thought we were over the euphemisms and pussie footing. There are other politicians trying for outright legalization so we shall see.
Either way I will continue on with my life regardless of what a law says.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 12-05-2013 at 12:50 PM..

Old 12-05-2013, 01:09 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,626,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Funny, I was sitting next to a guy from Humboldt on a plane from San Diego to San Francisco this past October and he was saying that many people up there do not want legalization and are content with the current set up. I mean, it's pretty crazy the amount of weed throughout the US and probably World that come from Northern Cali-some people are really doing well for themselves up there and they've upped the ante in quality-and better them than violent cartels pushing shwag in Mexico. People forget that Marijuana is the #1 Cash Crop in the US with a pound easily fetching $3-4,000. But yes, Napa Valley of ganja sounds amazing.
The big top illegal growers might not want it(taxes will be high on them), but on the other hand it would be great for the tourism industry up there as well as local tax revenue... But there's plenty of Mexican cartel growers growing up in the forests of Northern California as well. Legalizing it can take those scumbags out of the equation.

When California was considering legalization a couple years back, they already had people up there ready to start a sort of cottage tourist industry though for that sort of thing.

Old 12-05-2013, 01:55 PM

11,884 posts, read 10,395,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
The big top illegal growers might not want it(taxes will be high on them), but on the other hand it would be great for the tourism industry up there as well as local tax revenue... But there's plenty of Mexican cartel growers growing up in the forests of Northern California as well. Legalizing it can take those scumbags out of the equation.

When California was considering legalization a couple years back, they already had people up there ready to start a sort of cottage tourist industry though for that sort of thing.
True, that makes sense. The tourism thing could be very cool but the area is definitely on my list to see regardless.

Old 12-05-2013, 02:15 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,446,556 times
In order of likelihood: Oregon, California, Alaska, Vermont & New Hampshire (tied), New Mexico, Minnesota, Iowa, Hawaii

I think it's a matter of "when" and not "if" for most of the Far Western states. Northern New England has a very libertarian mindset (if it's taxable, why not?), and Minnesota and Iowa are the Midwestern trendsetters for the legalization of controversial things (gay marriage). For Iowa it won't happen until after Gov. Branstad leaves office though.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:52 PM

77 posts, read 77,923 times
I don't know what states will come before it, but I think that Massachusetts will probably legalize in 2016.

In 2008 it was decriminalized in MA up to an ounce, now medical marijuana is legal here (though the dispensaries are still being set up) and there is already a large push to have legalizing marijuana put on the 2016 ballot and it seems to be a realistic possibility.

Massachusetts is the state I am most familiar with though, so I don't know if other states have earlier timelines in place that I am not aware of.

I agree with the above poster that some states I would expect to see are California, Oregon, Alaska, Vermont, New Hampshire, and New Mexico.

Old 12-06-2013, 12:04 AM

191 posts, read 221,511 times
I hear Oregon is bungling the whole thing with two separate entities trying to get two separate kinds if bills passed. One for a legislative fix, one for a publicly voted on fix.

Thereby wasting precious energy and organizational money and time.

Vermont and NH seem small enough. and 'progressive' enough to maybe be next. To me.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Old 12-06-2013, 12:47 AM

620 posts, read 965,333 times
I remember when I was crying because I got caught with weed at school freshman year. When my mom found out I was grounded for literally a year.

Old 12-06-2013, 05:21 AM

191 posts, read 221,511 times
I remember when I was thrown in jail with rapists and murderers, losing my job, car, and apartment...over a roach I had in my car's ashtray.

Worst month of my life.
Made me homeless for longer than I care to remember...over what? A roach...and someone's idea of 'protecting me from myself'.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:37 PM

620 posts, read 965,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willy_mays View Post
I remember when I was thrown in jail with rapists and murderers, losing my job, car, and apartment...over a roach I had in my car's ashtray.

Worst month of my life.
Made me homeless for longer than I care to remember...over what? A roach...and someone's idea of 'protecting me from myself'.

woah, what state is this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or