U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Next states to legalize recreational marijuana
Alaska 18 15.93%
Arizona 6 5.31%
California 59 52.21%
Connecticut 8 7.08%
DC 9 7.96%
Delaware 6 5.31%
Hawaii 22 19.47%
Maine 17 15.04%
Massachusetts 19 16.81%
Michigan 6 5.31%
Montana 5 4.42%
Nevada 12 10.62%
New Jersey 5 4.42%
New Mexico 11 9.73%
Oregon 51 45.13%
Rhode Island 7 6.19%
Vermont 26 23.01%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 11:17 AM

4,064 posts, read 3,096,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Vermont will most likely be the first Eastern state to do so. I'm pretty sure California could do it next time around, but I think 2016 would be the year where more people show up at the polls rather than a mid-term like 2014. I was shocked that Oregon didn't do it this year as I thought they were more likely to legalize it than Washington or Colorado. New Mexico perhaps, but I don't really sense any stong advocacy or opinions about it either way around here as one does up in Colorado. However if it were put on the ballot in New Mexico it would probably be legalized.
I voted for Oregon but it was very close with California in the mix. In general I think the west coast has more enlightened social attitudes. I don't see recreational legalization occurring in the midwest or east coast until some time after 2020.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 05:23 PM

9,428 posts, read 18,327,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I voted for Oregon but it was very close with California in the mix. In general I think the west coast has more enlightened social attitudes. I don't see recreational legalization occurring in the midwest or east coast until some time after 2020.
Well New Hampshire is Live Free or Die right? Massachusetts pretty much decriminalized it already back in 2008 and legalized medical marijuana in 2012. The city of Portland, Maine technically legalized recreational marijuana by voter approved ballot last month. Also I think the social attitudes in states like Vermont are not very far off from states like Oregon and Colorado.

I think Washington and Colorado will be the guinea pigs for this social experiment and other states will see how well they are benefiting from it from a fiscal point of view with savings from less incarceration costs and tax revenue generated from retail sales of it and I could see a good grouping of New England states following their lead before 2020. Next month Colorado will start selling it retail, they had a very well scripted plan on the ballot and it's manifesting itself fairly quickly. We shall see how well it works out pretty soon.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 12-08-2013 at 05:37 PM..

Old 12-08-2013, 06:46 PM

4,064 posts, read 3,096,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Well New Hampshire is Live Free or Die right? Massachusetts pretty much decriminalized it already back in 2008 and legalized medical marijuana in 2012. The city of Portland, Maine technically legalized recreational marijuana by voter approved ballot last month. Also I think the social attitudes in states like Vermont are not very far off from states like Oregon and Colorado.

I think Washington and Colorado will be the guinea pigs for this social experiment and other states will see how well they are benefiting from it from a fiscal point of view with savings from less incarceration costs and tax revenue generated from retail sales of it and I could see a good grouping of New England states following their lead before 2020. Next month Colorado will start selling it retail, they had a very well scripted plan on the ballot and it's manifesting itself fairly quickly. We shall see how well it works out pretty soon.
I would love to be proved wrong on this one. We will see what my fellow northern New Englanders do. I support the repeal of any laws that restrict people from using any substances found in or derived from natural sources.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:55 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,847,632 times
OHIO, cause we broke.

Old 12-09-2013, 07:26 AM

2,025 posts, read 2,352,657 times
I'd add Kentucky and Wisconsin to the states with imminent legalization...

Old 12-09-2013, 07:35 AM

11,884 posts, read 10,385,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
I'd add Kentucky and Wisconsin to the states with imminent legalization...
Yep-California, Tennessee, Kentucky and Hawaii are by far the Top 4 producing Marijuana states in the country with each one valued at over $4 Billion per year in total production to add to the $36 Billion nationwide.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:03 AM

10,423 posts, read 12,416,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Yep-California, Tennessee, Kentucky and Hawaii are by far the Top 4 producing Marijuana states in the country with each one valued at over $4 Billion per year in total production to add to the $36 Billion nationwide.
Most of Tennessee's and Kentucky's mj is grown outdoors, a lot less potent than the indoor stuff from Washington and Oregon.
Quality over quantity!

Old 12-09-2013, 09:09 AM

11,884 posts, read 10,385,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Most of Tennessee's and Kentucky's mj is grown outdoors, a lot less potent than the indoor stuff from Washington and Oregon.
Quality over quantity!
True I agree, but it's gotta be cool to have an outdoor garden of weed.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:27 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,732,432 times
Hard as it may be to believe, but the sun is the best source of light for any fruiting plant.

An outdoor plant will produce just as sweet a fruit as an indoor plant. It is deterioration in outdoor plants that cannot be as closely monitored and harvested at the most opportune time that leads to lower potency. If outdoor growers felt safe enough to grow close enough to home to harvest in peak conditions, you might find that outdoor growing provides not only the same quality, but higher yield per plant. At least that is what a garner from my tomato experiments. I imagin the same may be true with cannabis.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:41 PM

6,413 posts, read 10,388,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willy_mays View Post
So, there's only one group trying to get it legalized... ?

Or, there's two and they're trying to get the exact same thing passed? Or two groups two separate plans?

Either way, its wasteful and probably a reason it didn't pass in Oregon years ago...

At marijuana legalization hearing, question is how much regulation should go before Oregon voters | OregonLive.com

Oregon

" Then there’s Oregon. When it comes to Oregon, it is not if legalization passes in 2014, but which legalization and how?"

And, notice: I'm not calling you out or personally demeaning you. ("Maybe you don't know much about...")

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Oh FFS. Assuming anyone knows about Oregon's legislative process is presumptive, and idiotic. It's not demeaning to you to assume you wouldn't know. If you're an Oregon resident, you might/probably would. If not ... why would you? Try and thicken up that skin just a bit.

I explained what is occurring with your "two groups." If you don't understand what I explained, re-explaining the same thing won't accomplish much. And it's clear from your reiteration of "its wasteful and probably a reason it didn't pass in Oregon years ago..." that's the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or