Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Next states to legalize recreational marijuana
Alaska 18 15.93%
Arizona 6 5.31%
California 59 52.21%
Connecticut 8 7.08%
DC 9 7.96%
Delaware 6 5.31%
Hawaii 22 19.47%
Maine 17 15.04%
Massachusetts 19 16.81%
Michigan 6 5.31%
Montana 5 4.42%
Nevada 12 10.62%
New Jersey 5 4.42%
New Mexico 11 9.73%
Oregon 51 45.13%
Rhode Island 7 6.19%
Vermont 26 23.01%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 09:55 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised California hasn't legalized it already.

Oregon has spoken and I doubt it will be tried again soon. A campaign is really expensive, so the proponents are more likely to try to get it on the ballot elsewhere rather than to risk that much money again in a state that already said No.

Hawaii seems rather content with the status quo where marijuana is simply ignored. I'm suspecting that they won't make the effort to change the law.

My personal opinion is that everybody ought to sit back and observe how well it works in Washington and Colorado before making any further changes. Let them be the guinea pigs. They volunteered to be the test case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 09:46 PM

16 posts, read 15,273 times
Medical Marijuana almost passed in Arkansas, it was so damn close, hopefully we'll be the first southern state to do so the next go round

Old 01-18-2013, 02:01 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,833 times
San Francisco already seems like it's legal for non-homeless smokers. As long as you aren't creating a nuisance for a private business by running off their customers selling weed in their doorway, no one hassles casual users out in the open.

I smelled less weed walking down the street in Amsterdam. Seriously, I can't imagine legalization leading to more use than we already have here. Weed is easy to obtain, is not regarded as a criminal offense and is in widespread use. So, why push it even further?

It is already taxed in dispensaries. Legalizing it would only bring the price and quality down in my opinion.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:12 AM

5,355 posts, read 5,129,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
San Francisco already seems like it's legal for non-homeless smokers. As long as you aren't creating a nuisance for a private business by running off their customers selling weed in their doorway, no one hassles casual users out in the open.

I smelled less weed walking down the street in Amsterdam. Seriously, I can't imagine legalization leading to more use than we already have here. Weed is easy to obtain, is not regarded as a criminal offense and is in widespread use. So, why push it even further?

It is already taxed in dispensaries. Legalizing it would only bring the price and quality down in my opinion.
You always want it legal if you agree with the use of it. Maybe you know good dealers in SF, but if I went there, I have no idea if my weed is good that I bought. Quality would go up with large scale production and your product would be safe with an FDA like thing making sure that the products not laced or anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
The usual suspects: California, Hawaii, Oregon and Vermont but also maybe a few wildcards like Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Nevada, Alaska.

I'm hoping for the Federal Government to get the hell out of the matter first, which will actually give states real authority to say it truly is legal.
The Fed needs to stay out of this issue. It's a clear violation of the Tenth Amendment if they do override the states decision. However, here in Colorado, the DEA, the federal drug enforcement agency will come in and shut stuff down, but that's really only if the state requests them to, and that's only because they're doing other illegal things. So, in reality, the Fed has stayed out of the issue here.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:59 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Vermont will most likely be the first Eastern state to do so. I'm pretty sure California could do it next time around, but I think 2016 would be the year where more people show up at the polls rather than a mid-term like 2014. I was shocked that Oregon didn't do it this year as I thought they were more likely to legalize it than Washington or Colorado. New Mexico perhaps, but I don't really sense any stong advocacy or opinions about it either way around here as one does up in Colorado. However if it were put on the ballot in New Mexico it would probably be legalized.
Oregon didn't pass legalization because the law being voted on was badly written, not because people were against it. If they get it right, it should pass easily.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:26 AM

10,644 posts, read 16,027,294 times
Within 3 years:
Alaska, Oregon, Maine

Within 5 years:
Hawaii, California, Nevada, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont

Within 7 years:
Montana, Arizona, New Mexico, Michigan, Ohio, New Jersey, New Hampshire

Old 12-05-2013, 11:16 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Texas will be on that list before the close of the decade, I'd bet.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:19 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
California needs to legalize it soon, so Humboldt County can fufill it's destiny as the Napa Valley of ganja...

I'm still waiting to see what happens in Washington, right now it's confusing as to what they actually plan on doing as far as legal retail establishments selling weed...

Old 12-05-2013, 11:20 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
That is the dumbest thing! Hopefully none. I thought that was against the law. Yeah, we really need to be worrying about meeting a car with a driver high as a kite on a cell phone.

Old 12-05-2013, 11:58 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,142,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
That is the dumbest thing! Hopefully none. I thought that was against the law. Yeah, we really need to be worrying about meeting a car with a driver high as a kite on a cell phone.
And that's not happening now?

I don't see that legalizing it would change anything. Just think of all the high-speed chases it might prevent because some idiot kid is afraid to get caught with some marijuana on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.