U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 03:57 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,292,936 times

Advertisements

My city is 70,000, and more than 100 miles from a larger city. Not a problem without a car. City bus service has four routes, a bus every half hour. I use it rarely, because it is easy to find housing within walking distance of supermarket. Flat level ground and easy street grid, so walking is easy. Bicycle would also be easy and efficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 04:00 PM

8,287 posts, read 11,838,765 times
My family actually lived carless in Miami Beach for many years growing up do to the excellent bus system. As an adult I was without a car for almost 6 months and used Metrorail & a express bus service to get me from the northern suburbs where I lived to my job in the southern suburbs. The commute would take about a hour but you can live in Miami without a car.

PS: I currently live in Orlando and the bus system is horrendous here with 1 hour service in most places & no covered bus shelters. Some stops don't even have bus benches but just a a pole and a sign to stand next too.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:23 PM

3,795 posts, read 3,456,156 times
A lot of people are car-free in St. Louis thanks to the Metro light rail and bus system. But until further expansion of the system occurs, there will be destinations that remain out of reach without a car.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:55 PM

9,745 posts, read 14,191,779 times
I've been doing it in my current town for over a year and it's no trouble, really. I also did it for several years in a similarly sized town in middle Tennessee, and while just doable, it was nowhere near as easy as it is here. Not even close.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:32 AM

13,420 posts, read 16,970,511 times
I was having this conversation with somebody here in Savannah just yesterday. Many people live here without a car. We're a relatively compact city, completely flat, built on a strict city grid with dedicated bike lanes --- and an EXCELLENT 24/7 transit service. It may not always be most convenient, but you absolutely CAN live car-free in Savannah GA ... a rarity in the South.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:57 AM

21,197 posts, read 30,396,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Are the circulator buses in DC free?

Also just curious on the 500 savings? Is that after PT - Did you use a monthly pass or pay as you go?

Dupont and working DT could be done pretty easily it would seem. Probably one of the better areas for a car free lifestyle especially if you workin the city core
When I lived there the only Circulator Bus was run by a private company and contracted out I believe by the Georgetown merchants association to run between the Metro stations and through the Georgetown commercial district (which doesn't have a Metro station), and it was free. I have been back and noticed the fleet of Circulator buses around town which seem tourist oriented in terms of where they run but not sure if they're free or not. They probably are because the premise is more short hop versus point A to point B. The Dupont Circle/West End/Logan Circle/Foggy Bottom neighborhoods are really ideal for working Downtown (and also in Georgetown) as they're within a thirty minute or less walk on a nice day or a short trip via Metro or Circulator. The $500 savings is based on car payment, insurance, gas, parking costs and maintenance. I didn't utilize Metro that often since so much is walkable, so I paid as I went along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or