Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 11:06 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times

Advertisements

It's not unprecedented in this country. Ever heard of the Denny Regrade in Seattle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 11:17 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
I hate this idea, not to mention we don't have a population of over a billion people. We have plenty a land left to settle. not to mention plenty of cities with room for infill without topographical obstacles.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:22 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,117,135 times
This is really stupid and gives me another reason to dislike the Chinese government even more than I already do.

Also, isn't the entire middle third of our country called "The Great Plains"? Even if the idea wasn't manifestly stupid and massively damaging, it's just not necessary here.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:21 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Oh, it's perfectly acceptable to displace people if they're Pittsburghers. They're second-class American citizens. Who needs them?
I think you misread it. The poster was coming out against such a stupid idea.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:47 PM

256 posts, read 541,403 times
Also that would destroy tourism in Colorado, Oregon, Utah etc... I mean crushing mountains would destroy places like Park City.

This is ridiculous. Brazil did not crush anything to make their statue over RIO!

Old 12-10-2012, 02:04 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Methinks the Chinese do a lot of these things not out of practicality, but just to prove they can.

The cost of destroying 700 "mountains" might be a couple of billion dollars in China, but for most of the developed world, where safety and wages are at least marginally important, the cost would probably be in the trillions, if I had to guess...and it would take decades. China has the pretty much unique ability to organize something and pass it through at will, and then accomplish it with an inconceivably massive workforce. They build cities, skyscrapers, malls, dams, and superhighways on an extraordinary scale without a whole lot of consideration to the economics (which is why many of them end up being underused or nearly uninhabited).

If such a project were to be attempted in the US (and I can't think of why), it would likely be the collaboration of a number of large companies bidding to undertake the project. But just thinking about it would be an exercise in fantasy, because we all know that environmental groups would oppose the hell out of this (and for good reason) because of the mammoth impact it would have on local environments and wildlife, not to mention untold damage to streams, rivers, and entire ecosystems. The damage would be irreversible, and we would be left to deal with any unforeseen consequences after the fact. There are already numerous examples of how poor development decisions have had huge negative impacts on the environment (flooding, destruction of watersheds, mudslides, even the Dust Bowl)...so why would we even attempt something that could potentially be exponentially more destructive?

Last edited by JMT; 12-10-2012 at 05:13 PM.. Reason: Removed off topic portion of the post

Old 12-10-2012, 02:55 PM

562 posts, read 989,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Oh, it's perfectly acceptable to displace people if they're Pittsburghers. They're second-class American citizens. Who needs them?
What does that even mean? You seem to imply that I agree with the whole idea, giving mining companies that kind of power results in those things. That's why its a bad idea.

Old 12-13-2012, 03:37 PM

583 posts, read 884,731 times
Bloomberg report:

Why China Will Spend $3.5B to Flatten 700 Mountains: Video - Bloomberg

Old 12-13-2012, 04:29 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,540,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
China to flatten 700 mountains for new metropolis in the desert | World news | guardian.co.uk

A city like Reno could use this technology to expand its buildable footprint. Places like Pittsburgh that built on bad land could retain this contractor, eminent domain large tracts of land, improve the land with flattening, and allow the city to reemerge from the land improvements much stronger.

If China can do it, so can we. 2.2B is actually pretty cheap, as public works projects go. Cities often spend 1B on a single sports stadium.

This technology could help reform and rebuild many areas in Appalachia and the Rockies and allow these places to become open to economic activity.
I cannot tell if you are trolling or if you actually think this is a good idea.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:05 PM

583 posts, read 884,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
I cannot tell if you are trolling or if you actually think this is a good idea.
I cannot tell if you are trolling or pretending to feign opposition to needed public works land improvement projects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.