U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 08:29 PM

56,569 posts, read 80,870,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDogRulesTheUniverse View Post
None too big. I don't think I would find any city that offers a rich degree of access to- and opportunities in- most any of the arts (in addition to all the other things I mentioned) too small, so that would be the criteria I would tentatively use.
You may be surprised by what some smaller areas offer in terms of the arts, like this area: Home

Ithaca Community Orchestra

Symphony Orchestra - School of Music - Ithaca College

Cornell Symphony Orchestra :: Welcome to our homepage!

Welcome to the Ithaca Ballet

Home • Hangar Theatre • Ithaca, NY

The State Theatre of Ithaca, NY

Kitchen Theatre Company, Ithaca, NY

Main Stage Theater - Ithaca College

Department of Performing and Media Arts

Home - Johnson Museum of Art

Ithaca Art Trail: Home

Home * Community Arts Partnership

State of the Art Gallery

Community School of Music and Arts in Ithaca, New York

First Friday Gallery Night
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 09:17 PM

38 posts, read 48,274 times
That is impressive! I'm not sure I'd consider it, "a rich degree of access to- and opportunities in- most any of the arts", but same problem of course- this is still somewhat nit-picky and subjective. Would it be helpful if I were to refine it by saying that whatever cities have the largest degrees of all the things I've noted would be the most ideal?
So that would be:

Quote:
-I'd like to be able to get to most places in a car (a.k.a., not be required to use public transportation to get places, for the most part).
-I'd like to be able to rent in a pretty safe place where I can "get away" from being constantly surrounded by people/commotion. (Preferably somewhere within the city, but JUST outside of it would be okay too!)
-If possible: I'm turned off by places that have a really "clicky" feel, or wherein it's particularly hard to meet new people.
Plus:
Quote:
-I guess what's important to me is that there's a large amount of young professionals,
-a large amount of nightlife options...
Plus:
Quote:
-a rich degree of access to- and opportunities in- most any of the arts...
Whatever fits these the best, with the most?

Thanks!

Old 12-09-2012, 09:33 PM

Some other really flexible preferences, if it will help:

-I'm a late-nighter, so any place that has a lot of particularly late-night options is awesome.
-I really like Fall/Spring-type weather. I like rain.
-If the place is known for particularly delicious food, or a variety of options, that'd be pretty cool.
-I quite enjoy beautiful sights around.

-I figure "not difficult to meet people", "lots of young professionals", and "nightlife options" would mostly cover this, but if not: If the place is really negative for single males in some way, then that'd be a real bummer.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:45 AM

If cost of living isn't an issue, perhaps some places north of NYC like Nyack, Beacon, Ossining and other Rivertowns in Westchester County or Putnam County communities like Brewster, Carmel and Cold Spring, among others. Montclair NJ may work too.

As for a center city, Columbus OH may work.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-10-2012 at 07:54 AM..

Old 12-10-2012, 08:29 AM

21,187 posts, read 30,359,201 times
Quote:
Just curious what people might suggest!

-I'm looking for at least a "medium-sized" city/town. Larger is fine too!
-I'd like to be able to get to most places in a car (a.k.a., not be required to use public transportation to get places, for the most part).
-I'd like to be able to rent in a pretty safe place where I can "get away" from being constantly surrounded by people/commotion. (Preferably somewhere within the city, but JUST outside of it would be okay too!)
-If possible: I'm turned off by places that have a really "clicky" feel, or wherein it's particularly hard to meet new people.

Thanks a lot!
Quote:
Hmm, I wouldn't really know how to put a number on it. I guess what's important to me is that there's a large amount of young professionals, a large amount of nightlife options, access to any of the arts- that sort of thing. Thanks, I probably should have been more clear about that. I figure that just about any city of a "certain" size has all of these things (what that size is, I don't know- I was hoping "medium"- haha).
Quote:
None too big. I don't think I would find any city that offers a rich degree of access to- and opportunities in- most any of the arts (in addition to all the other things I mentioned) too small, so that would be the criteria I would tentatively use.
Quote:
Some other really flexible preferences, if it will help:

-I'm a late-nighter, so any place that has a lot of particularly late-night options is awesome.
-I really like Fall/Spring-type weather. I like rain.
-If the place is known for particularly delicious food, or a variety of options, that'd be pretty cool.
-I quite enjoy beautiful sights around.

-I figure "not difficult to meet people", "lots of young professionals", and "nightlife options" would mostly cover this, but if not: If the place is really negative for single males in some way, then that'd be a real bummer.
Minneapolis would be a terrific fit as it hits all of your criteria thus far.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:34 AM

1,704 posts, read 2,761,860 times
I would focus my efforts on the Pacific Northwest, the Upper Midwest, and Upstate New York/New England. Minneapolis would be a fantastic choice.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:05 AM

256 posts, read 454,389 times
You sound perfect for Corvallis, Eugene and Portland!

Corvallis is a college town. There are tons of markets and it is close to the coast. It is just over 50,000 people.

Eugene is bigger and more hippie. The people are very open and is a great town,

Portland is the biggest and has a great walk score and is one of the most progressives cities in the country. It is a large city by Oregon terms but it is half a million people and compared to LA, Chicago, Houston, BY and Atlanta it is small.

Also for Portland it has great suburbs like McMillanville, West Linn and Oregon city. Vancouver WA is a suburb and you can manipulate the tax code by living in Washington and paying no State Tax and shopping in Portland! But the traffic on I-5 and even the 2O5 is hard.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
I would focus my efforts on the Pacific Northwest, the Upper Midwest, and Upstate New York/New England. Minneapolis would be a fantastic choice.
I didn't want to sound like a homer, but the major metros in Upstate NY could work. Buffalo, for instance, has an underrated arts scene, has nightlife spots that are open until 4 AM, has great Fall scenery, has a low overall cost of living and a suburb like Kenmore could work as it is close to much of the nightlife, but is one of the top 100 most dense communities in the U.S. Welcome to the Village of Kenmore

Hertel-North Buffalo Business Association, Inc.

Elmwood Village - Buffalo New York - YouTube
The Elmwood Village Association

Allentown Association

Buffalo Bar Crawl 2012 - Participating Bars & Drink Specials

Artvoice: Buffalo's #1 Newsweekly
Buffalo Rising | Your Guide to Buffalo NY News, Arts, Events & Buffalo Restaurants

Buffalo, NY Vacation Info | Visit Niagara Falls | Buffalo Hotels, Restaurants, Things to Do

Rochester is similar and its Southeastern Quarter of the city is very nice with some good nightlife, with adjacent Brighton having nice walkable and more dense neighborhoods for a suburb near that part of Rochester. Brighton, NY - Official Website

Rochester Wiki - The People's Guide to Rochester

Rochester's East End | Downtown Entertainment and Living in Rochester, NY

Upper Monroe Neighborhood Association | UMNA

Park Avenue Rochester NY shops cafe restaurants

Neighborhood of the Arts Business Association

swpc.org | South Wedge Planning Committee

Welcome to Swillburg!

About Us

Home

Highland Park Neighborhood Association | "The Finest and Healthiest Part of The City"

Cobbs Hill Park - Rochester Wiki

VisitRochester

Old 12-11-2012, 12:20 PM

Thanks all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or