U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2012, 10:11 PM

9 posts, read 7,550 times

Advertisements

Hello , i am Amr From Egypt and i am 24 years old Male , i am still undergraduate my graduation will be in June So i have now around 3 free months from December till first of March and i was thinking to travel to USA Alone so i was checking the best cities to visit and i found that California , Washington DC , New York etc.. are great cities to live in but the cost of living was high ... so if you can contribute with some Opinions about which state could be good for tourists and also safe ? I am not interested to go to clubs too much neither museum just few times is okay , so i wanted your opinions about state (city) and good areas to stay in and to have good opportunity to meet new friends and build some relations and also to do some activities and to be close from shopping centers and downtown etc.. and by the way i like to walk and discover places and finally My budget is around 4000 dollars.
I prefer State with good weather no snow or hurricanes and a state which people does not go to sleep at 9:00 pm ! and by the way i will stay in the first state for like 1 month and then maybe the second month i change to other for more experience and new sightseeing.

* It is okay for me to stay in Studio or rent private room with private bath.
* I will NOt Rent a Car and i can pay 1000$ for rent per month ( including utilities )

Note : Now Egypt is not stable a lot of problems in economy , Political problems and others so i wanted just to have a break and live far away for sometime and have new experience.*

Thanks.

Sorry for long topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 06:05 AM

21,207 posts, read 30,420,192 times
Unfortunately the big walkable cities with things to do and that don't close down around 9pm are all in the northern part of the country, which means cold weather at that time of year and likely some snow. If you can get past that I would recommend Chicago as it fits your budget and has a lot to do.

Old 12-09-2012, 06:29 AM

Thanks appreciate your reply , well seems like i will forget about the weather a little bit because most of US cities now has rain ,snow ,winds etc.. but what about Georgia ( Atalanta , Savannah ) , Arizona ( Phoenix , Tampa bay) , Louisiana ( New Orleans) Texas ( Austin , Dallas ), Alabama ( Mobile ) i see that those states and cities has average weather now but in same time i am confused i checked online if it is suitable for tourist but still confused about them ... like you said Chicago is good City with a lot of attractions but bad weather , New York too , Washington and some other North states ... so it is really confusing + i am NOT going to Rent a car because i don't drive much and i like to walk more.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:54 AM

22,341 posts, read 32,192,195 times
Most Walkable Cities in the United States on Walk Score - New York, San Francisco, Boston, Chicago, Seattle, Washington D.C.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:49 AM

22,732 posts, read 28,795,949 times
$4,000 for 3 months of travel won't get you far.

In the winter, you will probably prefer the southern part of the country. I suggest San Diego with some short jaunts to Los Angeles. Good weather and tons of things to do. Lots of free things to do and good shopping in San Diego. You can find cheap lodging if you stay back away from the beach and pick a non-fancy place to stay.

If your papers are all in order, you can take a day trip to Tijuana. It's colorful, frantic, and there is some really good food available.

You can do a day trip to Julian for some pretty mountains, maybe some snow, and to buy some great bread at Dudley's

Los Angeles has some truly great museums and can be done as day trips.

On the other end of the country, there are good beach towns in Florida and all along the gulf states.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:16 AM

great reply dude i am thinking about it now and by the way i think it will be only 2 months not 3 months .. the basic duration of this vacation is 2 months but if i could get more money and time i would try to stretch it to 3 months or a bit less.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:24 AM

933 posts, read 1,609,330 times
There is something seriously wrong with the title of that article.

1. New York
2. San Fran
3. Boston
4. Chicago
6. Seattle
7. DC

What happened to #5? Was it a mistake? Oh, no, it was Philadelphia. The perennial poster child for everything that a large city should be, but is completely ignored. Awesome. It's like the media cannot accept Philadelphia's greatness or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.