U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 12:48 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,239,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Even Indiana?
Way more liberal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 03:25 PM

1,277 posts, read 4,153,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
I'm not saying St. Louis doesn't deserve it, I'm saying Minneapolis and Chicago deserve it too...
The list is not based on who has the highest lgbt populations, but soley strong policy indicators. They start at the basic like the city recognizing protections for employment, to marriage. But then further like the schools having inclusion policies and the communities relationship with everything from police to fire. I think it is a very comprehensive ranking that really looks at how progressive a cities/counties lgbt policies are.

The description for how they determined the rankings is listed there. Also, these are bonus points if the state has laws that are out of the cities' control (such as marriage etc)

Columbus is a very friendly LGBT friendly city with a extremly high per capita lgbt pop in the central city. But I don't care that St. Louis got a 100 while Columbus a 80 something. That's still good for both.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:36 PM

11,171 posts, read 22,361,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
I'm not saying St. Louis doesn't deserve it, I'm saying Minneapolis and Chicago deserve it too...
The list is just juding places based on a large list of laws they may or may not have on their books. It really doesn't say anything specifically to how tolerant the place is on a personal level.

Chicago scored a 95 out of 100, and lost points for the most part because it doesn't have a specific law on the books about city contractor non-discrimination and city contractor equal benefits in regards to gays and lesbians. Doesn't mean that they ARE discriminated against. There might not even be any law at all for any types.

As a gay person I'm not going to leave Chicago because they don't put a specific law on their books against discrimination against gays on the city contractor level. Honestly I don't think it's an issue at all in the city. There are tons of prominent gays and lesbians in the city, alderman, cops, etc. This mayor and the past mayor have been huge champions for gay rights.

The state has civil unions which are the most liberally based set in the country right now. The laws on the books are no different for civil unions than straight marriages except in name only.

I believe it's one of the reasons the governor just asked to get a bill for him to sign in the next 4 weeks to legalize gay marriage in Illinois. Polls show a majority of people are fine with gay marriage in Illinois, and the lawmakers don't seem to fazed by the idea. I think they suddenly want to change the name and get gay marriage just so they can say they did it too before it became a national thing. That's about how concerned people in Illinois seem with gay marriage. "Sure, why not".

Old 12-12-2012, 03:55 PM

Chicago has always struck me as a devastatingly masculine city, even with its large gay population.

Not really a good place for a stylish (beyond conservative style) straight guy either.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:05 PM

736 posts, read 424,000 times
I don't see why it matters what place is gay friendly.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:10 PM

11,171 posts, read 22,361,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Chicago has always struck me as a devastatingly masculine city, even with its large gay population.

Not really a good place for a stylish (beyond conservative style) straight guy either.
I feel like you dislike and have a problem with......everything, haha. Just saying I don't think I've once seen you write anything positive on this site, don't be so negative! You only live once.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:29 PM

I absolutely love LA/Vegas/Miami. There you go.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:21 AM

1,277 posts, read 4,153,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The link doesn't work but found another shown below. I completely dismiss the scoring system and criteria of these rankings as in my home state (Florida), according to the study Orlando ranks significantly higher than either Fort Lauderdale or the gay mecca of Wilton Manors. Zero credibility there....

Page Not Found | Human Rights Campaign
I have been to both and Ft. Lauderdale, while having a high population, does have its issues with police and government relations (the relationship between the community and all government entities other than just city hall).

Also, someone mentioned that marriage is part of the rankings. They don't want to penalize a city for a state law that doesn't allow glbt marriage. Most of these cities are much more progressive than their states as a whole. Thus they are looking at city policies but give bonus points if there is a state law.

So St. Louis and Columbus here (just for example) both have citywide policies allowing domestic partners to registeries their relationship. Thus they get points over another city (still many) that do not do this.

Old 12-15-2012, 05:20 AM

21,182 posts, read 30,336,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
I have been to both and Ft. Lauderdale, while having a high population, does have its issues with police and government relations (the relationship between the community and all government entities other than just city hall).

Also, someone mentioned that marriage is part of the rankings. They don't want to penalize a city for a state law that doesn't allow glbt marriage. Most of these cities are much more progressive than their states as a whole. Thus they are looking at city policies but give bonus points if there is a state law.

So St. Louis and Columbus here (just for example) both have citywide policies allowing domestic partners to registeries their relationship. Thus they get points over another city (still many) that do not do this.
Whatever, that still doesn't explain how Orlando outscored the South Florida cities. Credibility lost if one has an familiarity of the two regions. HRC also places far too much weight in the rankings to domestic partnership rights as many cities passed it more for inclusion of heterosexual couples rather than a nod toward acceptance of gay couples.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:40 PM

94 posts, read 137,117 times
Here is my list of most gay-friendly cities in the Midwest in order:

1) Chicago: Gay Capital of the Midwest
2) Twin Cities due to its progressive to liberal attitudes
3) St. Louis based on HRC Equality Index
4) Columbus, OH: supposedly to be 4th largest in the Midwest; highly underrated also
5) Indianapolis, IN than other cities except smaller cities such as Madison, Ann Arbor, & Iowa City

Do you agree or disagree with my list for the Midwest region?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.