U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-09-2012, 12:08 AM
 
94 posts, read 67,613 times
Reputation: 43
Default GLBT-Friendly Cities in the Midwest

Most GLBT-friendly cities in the Midwest are liberal. These are places that are liberal not because of a college campus and voting patterns but the widespread city, metro, and this extends to citywide policies, especially on LGBT rights.

On the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Equality Index, some of the highest midwest cities were Minneapolis, Chicago, Milwaukee, Columbus, and Madison. This index recognizes cities not for bars or something trivial but widespread metro and city LGBT favorable policies.

Here is a link to the index; you can read about their measurements and see the cities that do stack up well in the Midwest: Page Not Found | Human Rights Campaign.

Do you agree or disagree with the ranking of any Midwestern city on the list?

I think I disagree with the ranking for Springfield, IL. I don't find the city to be that gay-friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-09-2012, 06:14 AM
 
12,158 posts, read 11,862,163 times
Reputation: 8538
The link doesn't work but found another shown below. I completely dismiss the scoring system and criteria of these rankings as in my home state (Florida), according to the study Orlando ranks significantly higher than either Fort Lauderdale or the gay mecca of Wilton Manors. Zero credibility there....

http://www.hrc.org/files/assets/reso...12_HRC_MEI.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2012, 08:01 AM
 
400 posts, read 271,989 times
Reputation: 380
Umm, you forgot to mention St. Louis, which scored 100.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2012, 08:22 AM
 
4,899 posts, read 5,575,970 times
Reputation: 3100
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBZ1113 View Post
Most GLBT-friendly cities in the Midwest are liberal. These are places that are liberal not because of a college campus and voting patterns but the widespread city, metro, and this extends to citywide policies, especially on LGBT rights.

On the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Equality Index, some of the highest midwest cities were Minneapolis, Chicago, Milwaukee, Columbus, and Madison. This index recognizes cities not for bars or something trivial but widespread metro and city LGBT favorable policies.

Here is a link to the index; you can read about their measurements and see the cities that do stack up well in the Midwest: Page Not Found | Human Rights Campaign.

Do you agree or disagree with the ranking of any Midwestern city on the list?

I think I disagree with the ranking for Springfield, IL. I don't find the city to be that gay-friendly.
Sounds about right. With Minneapolis leading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2012, 08:46 AM
 
973 posts, read 1,001,138 times
Reputation: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBZ1113 View Post
Most GLBT-friendly cities in the Midwest are liberal. These are places that are liberal not because of a college campus and voting patterns but the widespread city, metro, and this extends to citywide policies, especially on LGBT rights.

On the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) Equality Index, some of the highest midwest cities were Minneapolis, Chicago, Milwaukee, Columbus, and Madison. This index recognizes cities not for bars or something trivial but widespread metro and city LGBT favorable policies.
glaring omission: st. louis, which scored the highest of any midwest city (perfect score).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2012, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
38,744 posts, read 37,239,681 times
Reputation: 28716
"Favorable policies" always lag behind, and are changed through activism, not through epiphany by administrators. So those cities with high "munidipal law and policy" rating are likely those that have activists who have raise the issues. Cities with a low score just haven't gotten around yet to changing policy to reflect the new pro-GLBT posture of society, and likely have not been asked to. And in fact, the linked site exhorts its readers to instigate this kind of action, which will not change anything, but just raise the city's ranking on the Index. Any antiquarian laws are probably not enforced anyway. The fact is, it is not municipal laws that are a measure of community standards. Cities like Montgomery or Little Rock very likely do not fear gays, but they do fear the backlash by the extreme right, from whom they must curry votes. So the city may very weil be a perfectly gay-friendly environment, but afraid to risk votes by declaring it to be.

I would expect that on the ground, nowadays, just about every city in the USA is pretty much equally tolerant of GLBT, and if not, the difference is insignificant. I live in a small (70,000) city in the depth of a solidly red state, and I see no evidence among any of my (straight or GLBT) acquaintances nor in public policy that there in any relevant anti-gay sentiment. It's just quietly not referenced.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-09-2012 at 09:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2012, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Ohio; originally Oakland, CA
5,842 posts, read 3,360,215 times
Reputation: 4994
I'm not buying that list...Oakland has the highest percentage of lesbians and third-highest percentage of LBGT folks in the US, but only scores an "80%".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2012, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
5,655 posts, read 6,103,625 times
Reputation: 2971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I'm not buying that list...Oakland has the highest percentage of lesbians and third-highest percentage of LBGT folks in the US, but only scores an "80%".
I also found it strange that St. Louis was rated a 100 when one of the criteria was the ability for gays to legally marry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2012, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis
1,385 posts, read 1,194,826 times
Reputation: 2088
The attitudes of the populace and written law are not always in synch. This list is based on law rather than how the people who actually live there are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2012, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
38,744 posts, read 37,239,681 times
Reputation: 28716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
The attitudes of the populace and written law are not always in synch. This list is based on law rather than how the people who actually live there are.
Thanks -- you said in one line what I said in ten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top