U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 05:59 PM

42 posts, read 57,054 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the additional replies. :] Anyone else? Would love to hear as many perspectives as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 08:33 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,541,752 times
You might try to look for places in LA that come closer to your desired community. You said that you hated the car culture and wanted to be around artsy people. There are definitely some neighborhoods with lots of artsy folks, neighborhoods where at least some of your travel can be transit, bike, and/or walking. I think of Echo Park, Silver Lake, West Hollywood, possibly Santa Monica.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:32 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,091,270 times
I wouldn't discount Austin plenty of movies and independant films shoot in and around Austin plus there's South By Southwest Film and Music Festival held here every March. Public transportation is ok but you will want a car here.

Welcome to the Austin Film Society! - Austin Film Society

Austin Film Commission | Official Movie Production Resources

Welcome to SXSW 2013 | SXSW 2013

Old 12-11-2012, 02:02 AM

880 posts, read 1,733,976 times
I also want to add Louisiana. Shreveport seems to be one of the most popular non-LA filming locations.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:09 AM

10,087 posts, read 13,107,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
And you probably know already, but NYC and SF are both more expensive than LA, but those costs might come down some if you live frugally, don't drive, etc. Atlanta is the cheapest but like LA, you'd probably eventually want a car or be limited to certain areas.
You're probably going to want a car - what I have heard is that the entertainment industry (at least in LA) is particularly car-centric, especially with the sprawled nature of studios and where they are generally located (not the most transit-friendly areas). On the LA board even those that are typically transit-first recommend those trying to break into the entertainment industry at least get a beater. I would imagine it is like that in Atlanta - though it is probably different in NYC since it is hard to expect everyone to own a car.

I think Atlanta, NYC, maybe New Orleans, Vancouver or Boston are your best choices. LA is certainly leaps and bounds ahead of the other cities except for NYC.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:44 PM

34,682 posts, read 33,681,492 times
I was thinking just the other day, that there are some actors who always play mafia guys, Mexican drug lords, middle east terrorists or British royalty in American films so much so that if you don't see them you wonder where they are. There must be film makers in other countries who always need "an American guy" to act in their films.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:34 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,541,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
You're probably going to want a car - what I have heard is that the entertainment industry (at least in LA) is particularly car-centric, especially with the sprawled nature of studios and where they are generally located (not the most transit-friendly areas). On the LA board even those that are typically transit-first recommend those trying to break into the entertainment industry at least get a beater. I would imagine it is like that in Atlanta - though it is probably different in NYC since it is hard to expect everyone to own a car.

I think Atlanta, NYC, maybe New Orleans, Vancouver or Boston are your best choices. LA is certainly leaps and bounds ahead of the other cities except for NYC.
The "industry" is definitely spread around. An alternative to buying a car would be locating where you could have access to car sharing when you needed it.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:55 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,762,345 times
What about Toronto? Or Vancouver, for that matter.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:07 AM

42 posts, read 57,054 times
Thanks for the advice, everyone! I appreciate it.

I guess I've narrowed it down now to LA and NYC mainly. I do like the sound of Toronto and Vancouver too though and would like to learn more about them, but they don't seem as realistic to me at this point.

Now I know pretty well what kind of opportunities await me in LA, but my heart still remains with NYC. Anyone here have experiences with the film/TV industry there? Specifically screenwriting, but really, anything would be helpful.

Thanks again!

EDIT: I would also rather live in SF, if anyone has any experiences with film/TV there. Thanks!

Old 12-19-2012, 12:29 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,570,119 times
LA is a tough nut to crack. And being loathed and stereotyped by the rest of the country doesn't help. It's not that bad, it's a lot more like those dense walkable cities you desire than most think. And like everybody else has said, you can't work in the Entertainment Industry and NOT be associated with Los Angeles. I don't care what anybody says. If you are serious about this business then go to Los Angeles, not Atlanta, not New Orleans, Austin or even New York. It's the same as me saying "I wan't to make it in the financial industry but don't want to live in New York." Just do it, you won't be sorry in the end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or