Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 08:30 PM

637 posts, read 1,026,588 times

Advertisements

I don't know.

West coast accent sounds normal to me.
Like when I watch TMZ, they sound pretty standard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 12:42 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,775,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burloak View Post
I don't know.

West coast accent sounds normal to me.
Like when I watch TMZ, they sound pretty standard.
It sounds normal because of its privileged place in society. If Hollywood happened to be located in St. John's, a Newfie accent would sound 'standard' and 'normal'.

The 'standard' US accent doesn't exist, except on television and among people such as military brats who have lived in many different locales in America throughout their lives.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:51 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Does the 'standard accent' you're imagining even exist on TV, though?

I mean what I hear is a general american accent, both IRL and on TV, but with subtle regional 'flavours.' If you're saying the typical West Coast US accent is not Gen Am I disagree. I've heard it said Iowa is close to the 'most' neutral accent though, but the LA accent is definitely the vanilla accent with a few twists, hardly as different as say a NY accent of course.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:52 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times

I mean what I hear is a general american accent, both IRL and on TV, but with subtle regional 'flavours.' If you're saying the typical West Coast US accent is not Gen Am I disagree. I've heard it said Iowa is close to the 'most' neutral accent though, but the LA accent is definitely the vanilla accent with a few twists, hardly as different as say a NY accent of course.

Old 12-12-2012, 01:58 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,775,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

I've actually been to Iowa and people there do talk a little bit differently. I can't put a finger on what it is, maybe the speech is a bit less tonal than California talk? Or maybe the a sound is a bit different, like here in the West the vowel sound in 'father' is a bit more rounded, like 'bother', in the Midwest it sounds a tad closer to how I'd say 'gather'.

I think the west of the West actually sounds very informal, it's little like the posh news-speak you hear on television, though put anyone in front of a camera and on a podium and their speech will sub-consciously become more 'academic' and formal.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:25 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
I absolutely agree with the OP. Many people from all parts of the country seem to think the California and PNW accents are standard (Valley speak excepted), and in many respects they are similar to the standard, but with some practice, it is easy to pick West Coasters out.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:35 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
The only person I know who put an "r" in Washington came from Ohio orginally. I do not know anyone from the West Coast who does that.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:56 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,094,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Except most Americans don't sound like that.
Most Americans don't sound like that because they don't have the "general American" accent. But there are probably more "general American" speakers than any other accent (Boston, Pittsburgh, Minnesota, Chicago, New Orleans, Brooklyn, etc.)

Old 12-12-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

To be fair, your IRL experience of American accents was a two week vacation where you managed to miss the majority of America....including Iowa...

Old 12-12-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Um....that's not too convincing. You're accent sounds entirely standard to me.

You are right in the sense that everybody has an accent. But there are certainly more Americans that sound pretty close to you than there are speakers of any of the truly regional accents...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.