Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 07:04 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,788,565 times

Advertisements

Hmmm I think the Valley girl accent of the 80s is pretty much dead, like Moon Unit in the song 'Valley Girl', the 'valley girl' accent today is kind of like the gay 'accent', it's more just a ditzy, tonal way of speaking standard American than a true accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 07:13 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,773,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
People here in Baltimore say "Warsh" for wash. Or "wooder" for water.
Wooder?!

Old 01-28-2013, 06:25 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,277,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I've actually been to Iowa and people there do talk a little bit differently. I can't put a finger on what it is, maybe the speech is a bit less tonal than California talk? Or maybe the a sound is a bit different, like here in the West the vowel sound in 'father' is a bit more rounded, like 'bother', in the Midwest it sounds a tad closer to how I'd say 'gather'.

I think the west of the West actually sounds very informal, it's little like the posh news-speak you hear on television, though put anyone in front of a camera and on a podium and their speech will sub-consciously become more 'academic' and formal.
People from Iowa and Nebraska sound less flatter and more nasal than West Coasters. Many Iowans have a NCVS influence in thier speech.

Many Nebraskans have a bit of a hickish twang and say words like "Warsh" and "Crick".

Compare both of these videos. The Nebraskan sounds a bit more nasally compared to the Californian.

Nebraskan.

Worldwide Accent Project - Omaha & Eastern Nebraska - YouTube

Californian

Accent Challenge: Southern California - YouTube

Last edited by hipcat; 01-28-2013 at 06:34 PM..

Old 01-28-2013, 10:59 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,751,633 times
I also notice people in the East tend to say every-BODY while west coasters say every-buddy.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:15 AM

8 posts, read 10,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Most people here pronounce Oregon as Orygun.
Not really. Listen more closely, and you'll probably find that most of us will unselfconsciously say oreegin or oruhgin. Gin, not gun. Just don't ask us how to say it, because that seems to throw us for some reason. We think about it too hard and you get some odd pronunciations.

I agree that it's not common at all, but the only time I hear Warshington is people over 50. The same people also tend to add an L to the end of Hillsboro. It's weird.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:18 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,466,718 times
There's a girl from Oklahoma that works in a local business. She just moved here a few months ago and her accent is like sprinkling sugar on every word. Its so much more pleasing to the ear the the typical, nasally accent girls in California tend to be using now. California speech pattens (at least for people under the age of 30 - especially women/girls) sound like they're trying to do a Valley Girl accent through their nose. When they do move it down out of their noses for certain words they speak so far back in their mouths its sounds like they have a mouthful of marbles. Ugly and annoying. It seems they're all trying to sound like Kim Kardashian.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:25 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,112,075 times
Isn't a typical West coast accent Mexican?

Old 02-02-2013, 07:34 PM

735 posts, read 1,122,827 times
Yes it is "newscaster speak". The only parts that aren't are either certain groups or it's white kids trying to sound like something they're not.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:39 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,091,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imaroo View Post
Not really. Listen more closely, and you'll probably find that most of us will unselfconsciously say oreegin or oruhgin. Gin, not gun. Just don't ask us how to say it, because that seems to throw us for some reason. We think about it too hard and you get some odd pronunciations.

I agree that it's not common at all, but the only time I hear Warshington is people over 50. The same people also tend to add an L to the end of Hillsboro. It's weird.
I disagree. Strongly. Minervah has it right. I've lived here all my life, and it's Ory-gun or Orah-gun (which to my ear, both sound the same). The only time anyone says oree-gun (still, not "gin") is when singing the state song ... because the tune needs the extra syllable.

Hillsboro is not my side of town (though I did have family who lived there in my youth), but I've never, ever heard anyone put an "L" on the end of it.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:42 PM

147 posts, read 284,012 times
As a non-American, I love Californian accents on guys over all the other US accents, there's just a really chilled, laid-back sound to them.. (mind you not that bloke in the video above, he just sounds dorky) Think more west-coast 'rocker sound'; Scott Weiland, Anthony Kiedis, Eddie Vedder etc...

In general I find though a lot of US men's accents are softer, a lot of female accents in the US can be so grating, esp. CA and Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.