U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2012, 03:21 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,847,635 times

Advertisements

Case in point.

"It's ar turn ta go to tha bank tuhday."
"All say it agen, you need ta get off yer behind and start werking at yer jawb."
"In tha beginning, Gawd creadid tha hevins and thee Urf."
"Portlin, Orgin"
"Seaddle, Wa(r)shingtin"
"Shur, all mesur yer hiht fer yoo."
"That's todoly awesim dood."
"I'm gonna write up this papur tonite, but I'll get back t'ya aftur I eat breakfast thi smorning."

Does that sound like news-caster speech? Ah don't think so, man.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 03:22 AM

For background, I actually wrote all these sentences they way I say them, a long-term born and bred multi generational West Coaster.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:08 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,032,193 times
You just spelled everything phonetically. That sounds like most American English speakers.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
You just spelled everything phonetically. That sounds like most American English speakers.
Except most Americans don't sound like that.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:17 AM

6,620 posts, read 11,664,574 times
I know that my NY accent probably doesn't sound good to a lot of people but that whole adding an r in words like Washington really grates on my ears.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I know that my NY accent probably doesn't sound good to a lot of people but that whole adding an r in words like Washington really grates on my ears.
It's only a minority of people, mostly over 50 that say that, thankfully. I also notice here in the Northwest, some older people will refer to the bathroom as the 'facilities'.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
It's only a minority of people, mostly over 50 that say that, thankfully.
I know a man from Ohio who did it all the time and one day I was like "Why do you talk like that?" and he responded with "Why do YOU tawk like dat?" We both laughed at each other but still that stupid misplaced r bugs me.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I know a man from Ohio who did it all the time and one day I was like "Why do you talk like that?" and he responded with "Why do YOU tawk like dat?" We both laughed at each other but still that stupid misplaced r bugs me.
That's funny.

By the way, the point of this thread is to dispel the notion that Western American English is the most phonetically correct version of the English language. It's not, it just has a privileged place in the media because Los Angeles happens to be located in the region. Truth is though, there's actually a lot of weird things about Western pronunciation and it indeed looks quite weird when you try to write it phonetically.

I also firmly am of the conviction that the informal mode of speech in western states is not identical to newscast speak, the 'standard accent' used in TV in fact does sound like a distinct accent that doesn't really exist in real life. Westerners don't sound like people on TV any more than people in London all talk like BBC reporters.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
That's funny.

By the way, the point of this thread is to dispel the notion that Western American English is the most phonetically correct version of the English language. It's not, it just has a privileged place in the media because Los Angeles happens to be located in the region. Truth is though, there's actually a lot of weird things about Western pronunciation and it indeed looks quite weird when you try to write it phonetically.

I also firmly am of the conviction that the informal mode of speech in western states is not identical to newscast speak, the 'standard accent' used in TV in fact does sound like a distinct accent that doesn't really exist in real life. Westerners don't sound like people on TV any more than people in London all talk like BBC reporters.
That whole news reporter accent thing has always been hard for me to understand. We all butcher the language in some way.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:34 AM

Phonetic accent by Mimzy. on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

This is what English would sound like if it was pronounced how it's spelled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or