U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 03:13 PM

6,620 posts, read 11,680,399 times

Advertisements

Moved. All over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 03:29 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,177,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Moved away for 13 years, then came back. You can come home again. Though that's not what works for everyone.
So true. I was away from my hometown for a lot longer than 13 years though (almost 25 years). I moved away as a high school kid and lived in several different states and regions. When my kids reached school age the location we were in was not very good for us or our family so we looked from coast to coast and ended up back in my small hometown. I was shocked that the only location that fit every single need and want on our list for a new place was where I started out. Yes you CAN come home, and sometimes it is the best thing in the entire World.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:31 PM

656 posts, read 1,794,146 times
The first thing I think of when I hear about the state of Mississippi is warm weather. Of course I guess that depends on which part of the state you are in and where you are from that influence the many variables of the climate in various perspectives. I grew up in a small town in Kentucky. Most of my friends I grew up with never moved away. I left the day after I graduated high school. I've now lived all around the world and I cherish the experiences and things I've learned from doing so. There will always be those that refuse to live outside of the small area they grew up in. I believe that is their choice and like all of us they are responsible for their own lives and decisions. My opinion could be summed up in the quote that follows by Mark Twain

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.” Mark Twain

Old 12-20-2012, 09:20 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,580,201 times
I moved away after college 1000 miles... then about 2500 miles. I tried going back home once when I was about 28, just to see how things were, lasted about 4-5 months and was like wtf was I thinking. I plan to keep bouncing around and exploring the world, can't say I'm really loyal to anywhere, that kind of thinking has always been weird to me. If I could get out of the U.S. long term I would, so, that's my thoughts on that. Even if all my family lived in NYC and had connections there, I would still move to see the rest of the world. I don't like being in one place for too long.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:23 PM

6,514 posts, read 9,066,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
I moved away after college 1000 miles... then about 2500 miles. I tried going back home once when I was about 28, just to see how things were, lasted about 4-5 months and was like wtf was I thinking. I plan to keep bouncing around and exploring the world, can't say I'm really loyal to anywhere, that kind of thinking has always been weird to me. If I could get out of the U.S. long term I would, so, that's my thoughts on that. Even if all my family lived in NYC and had connections there, I would still move to see the rest of the world. I don't like being in one place for too long.
Ahh, I'm from the heartland. I have a desire to go back to the same state, but not the same city.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:34 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,580,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Ahh, I'm from the heartland. I have a desire to go back to the same state, but not the same city.
Yeah I could understand that if anything, such as going back close to family, but not too close...

Old 12-20-2012, 09:36 PM

6,514 posts, read 9,066,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Yeah I could understand that if anything, such as going back close to family, but not too close...
Yes, that's a big part, but the overall depressing feel of my hometown keeps me from wanting to live there again. I know there's better out there!

Old 12-20-2012, 10:05 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,681,631 times
Moving from your hometown is nothing new. Back in the 60's it seemed to be the thing to do. All my friends when they graduated college in the mid 60's moved from Chicago to other cities: Atlanta, Massachusetts, San Francisco, Denver etc. I was the last because I got married and then divorced in my hometown. I moved to Portland OR in 1978.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:21 AM

34,695 posts, read 33,709,656 times
NY, DC, NY, MD, TN

Left NY at 18, went to DC for 2.5, then came back to NY (different location) for 23, then MD for 12 and now TN. All were perfectly fine places to live for the time in my life when I lived there. I didn't leave any place because I hated it.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:29 AM

94 posts, read 191,611 times
I"m from small town western Kentucky. In my area, most people stay their whole lives. (Seriously. In doing some family history research, I discovered that my family has been in the area since before the Civil War, as have most of the families who still live in the area).

I moved, though. I now live in NYC, which is somewhat shocking to most people from my area. It's not common among my generation (I'm 21), but it's becoming more common. One of my neighbors in NYC is from my hometown, a few years older than me. But I'm not kidding when I say only 3 of my graduating class of 100 went out of state for college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.