U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 07:57 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,635,484 times

Advertisements

Went away for college. Tried NYC very briefly. Moved back home.. Now in a position where I travel for about 5-6 months out of the year (being in one place at a time for 1-2 months)... not sure what you would call that exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 08:08 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,325,418 times
I have a friend from New York City, Italian, who on a whim decided to go to college in North Dakota. He fell in love with the place, never went back to New York, now lives in a small town in Northern Michigan.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:21 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,142,930 times
Native Denverite. Lived in the metro area most of my adult life. Moved to CO Springs 13 years ago. Even though the two cities are only 65 miles apart, living here is like living in another state. Different media market, a much more conservative area (military town), more "down to earth" if you will. What I like most about living here is that it takes 15 minutes instead of an hour and 15 minutes to get to work in the morning! There's a "rush hour" but it is only an hour, not four.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:25 AM

6,514 posts, read 9,068,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkeplinger View Post
I"m from small town western Kentucky. In my area, most people stay their whole lives. (Seriously. In doing some family history research, I discovered that my family has been in the area since before the Civil War, as have most of the families who still live in the area).

I moved, though. I now live in NYC, which is somewhat shocking to most people from my area. It's not common among my generation (I'm 21), but it's becoming more common. One of my neighbors in NYC is from my hometown, a few years older than me. But I'm not kidding when I say only 3 of my graduating class of 100 went out of state for college.
Going to college in state is not a sentence to remain in that state, and certainly not the same home town. Kentucky has a couple of very large cities that they may find more gainful employment in than the small town you came from. I think there's a big difference in staying in your hometown your whole life and staying in your home state. The state is vast and has a lot of different areas and cities, each one of them pretty unique.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Went away for college. Tried NYC very briefly. Moved back home.. Now in a position where I travel for about 5-6 months out of the year (being in one place at a time for 1-2 months)... not sure what you would call that exactly.
Me either!

Old 12-21-2012, 09:34 AM

3,234 posts, read 7,635,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Me either!
yea, I get to pay a mortgage for a house in my home metro area, but travel so much it's almost not worth it.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
yea, I get to pay a mortgage for a house in my home metro area, but travel so much it's almost not worth it.
Kind of reminds me of the movie, "Up in the Air" with George Clooney. However, I'm sure you pay a lot less in your utilities than the average person!

Old 12-21-2012, 11:33 AM

94 posts, read 191,662 times
Quote:
Going to college in state is not a sentence to remain in that state, and certainly not the same home town. Kentucky has a couple of very large cities that they may find more gainful employment in than the small town you came from. I think there's a big difference in staying in your hometown your whole life and staying in your home state. The state is vast and has a lot of different areas and cities, each one of them pretty unique.
You're right. I should have been more clear. With that I was just making a point that people don't typically go too far from home after high school. I should have also mentioned that most do end up coming back.

The majority of kids in my class went to the colleges in/near my hometown. They're good colleges, don't get me wrong, and I'm not saying anything against staying in my town (I come back multiple times a year for a reason). I was just saying that for some reason, my town is one of those people tend to remain in and raise their families in.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkeplinger View Post
You're right. I should have been more clear. With that I was just making a point that people don't typically go too far from home after high school. I should have also mentioned that most do end up coming back.

The majority of kids in my class went to the colleges in/near my hometown. They're good colleges, don't get me wrong, and I'm not saying anything against staying in my town (I come back multiple times a year for a reason). I was just saying that for some reason, my town is one of those people tend to remain in and raise their families in.
Yes, I understand that. And most people do end up staying in their home town, or an area nearby, it would seem.

The only thing I have difficulty understanding is when people complain SO much about their hometown that it sickens both them and me to hear about it, and when they are afraid to go into town because of how dangerous it has become, but insist on staying here because they will not be driven out. I'll just drop the name I've kept out of this thread for far too long. It's Meridian Mississippi, while not the only town like it, it has serious crime issues and a huge increase in gang related activity. There are multiple burglaries and robberies per week, along with shootings and car theft...things are bad here, but the people who were born and raised here love it and refuse to admit there are better and safer towns and cities out there.

Perhaps it's the small town mentality, perhaps it's the Mississippi mentality, or perhaps it's some people and their close family ties and separation anxiety. I just don't get it...

Old 12-21-2012, 12:21 PM

94 posts, read 191,662 times
Quote:
Yes, I understand that. And most people do end up staying in their home town, or an area nearby, it would seem.

The only thing I have difficulty understanding is when people complain SO much about their hometown that it sickens both them and me to hear about it, and when they are afraid to go into town because of how dangerous it has become, but insist on staying here because they will not be driven out. I'll just drop the name I've kept out of this thread for far too long. It's Meridian Mississippi, while not the only town like it, it has serious crime issues and a huge increase in gang related activity. There are multiple burglaries and robberies per week, along with shootings and car theft...things are bad here, but the people who were born and raised here love it and refuse to admit there are better and safer towns and cities out there.

Perhaps it's the small town mentality, perhaps it's the Mississippi mentality, or perhaps it's some people and their close family ties and separation anxiety. I just don't get it...
I know what you mean, actually. When I go home to visit, I'm told by SO MANY PEOPLE that they hate this town, that it's a mess (lots of meth in the area), they hate the job market. I never really understand why, if they feel that way, they don't move. But I think you're right about some of your guesses - close family ties, especially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.