Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 09:36 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,192,034 times

Advertisements

People come and go for a variety of reasons...

I grew up in Minneapolis but moved to St. Louis area (Des Peres) when my dad completed his ridiculous amount of residency for his profession and got a full-time job. He hated his boss and moved back to MN and we then lived in the suburbs (Watzata) in a rental until we determined for sure he'd stay for his job this time. Once he did we stayed in the 'burbs but changed locations and moved into a house (Edina).

When it was time to choose colleges, I knew that for a "true college experience", I ought to separate myself from my network of friends and go off on my own. I landed in Columbus for Ohio State and stayed there for 5 years total, meeting 2 of my best friends and my wife in the process. I spent a few summers in Chicago for internships that I got through a connection from my parents, who lived there when I went to college because my father got a promotional offer there (neither of my parents are super tied down to MN because both are from other states themselves). Because of my wife and the connection to Ohio (even though she's from Wisconsin -- part of how we met), we ended up in the Cleveland area where her parents live so we could get help with our daughter, but only after living back in the Twin Cities for 5 years after college. We didn't choose Chicago because by that time my folks had moved to San Francisco, where my father got yet another promotional offer.

So since I've lived in 5 different metros, and X3 different homes, very little of that has to do with where I dream to be or end up. Most of it had to do with family and jobs/opportunities, and that's how I expect most people to end up where they do.

But I must say, that throughout my life thus far I've had quite a bit of exposure to several great American cities and I've learned a lot more about what I do and do not like about certain places (and no place is 100% perfect, btw).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 10:08 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
I'm originally from Kansas City, but spent most of my life in a small town in Kansas. I've have noticed this "I don't want to leave attitude" from some Kansans before, but it seems to pale in comparison to the prideful nature of some people from the more prominent cities like Miami, New York, or LA. It was nice to live in a state that wasn't too hung up on itself, because it encouraged me to leave.

If you want to move away, do it. The world is big. Huge. I moved away because I wanted to get some sense of it before I die and no longer have the opportunity. But I know I can always go home again.
I will never move back to Kansas. I know it is not for me and I like a nice percentage of people that share my common interests and values. Also, the climate in Kansas is horrible with summers that are much too hot.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:51 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
My hometown is New Orleans. I moved from there when I was a kid, but still have family there, and still visit pretty often. I love it, but I've built my life elsewhere.

Eventually, I found myself in a small town in Texas. Long story - but anyway, here I am! Coming from a life of living in much larger towns and cities, I've noticed something in this small town.

Very few people actually MOVE HERE. Most of the people here went to school here, graduated here, married, whatever, and some have actually moved away and moved back. But the majority are natives.

For the first time in my life, I feel like the odd man out. I mean, people are friendly, but I'm not "from here." They already have their social circles that they've run in for decades. They don't need or necessarily want to include others. Coming from a lifetime of larger cities with a more fluid population, this came as a surprise to me. To be frank, though I love Texas and love many things about small town life, I definitely do NOT like this "quality." We are strongly considering a move to a larger town strictly for this reason alone.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:08 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My hometown is New Orleans. I moved from there when I was a kid, but still have family there, and still visit pretty often. I love it, but I've built my life elsewhere.

Eventually, I found myself in a small town in Texas. Long story - but anyway, here I am! Coming from a life of living in much larger towns and cities, I've noticed something in this small town.

Very few people actually MOVE HERE. Most of the people here went to school here, graduated here, married, whatever, and some have actually moved away and moved back. But the majority are natives.

For the first time in my life, I feel like the odd man out. I mean, people are friendly, but I'm not "from here." They already have their social circles that they've run in for decades. They don't need or necessarily want to include others. Coming from a lifetime of larger cities with a more fluid population, this came as a surprise to me. To be frank, though I love Texas and love many things about small town life, I definitely do NOT like this "quality." We are strongly considering a move to a larger town strictly for this reason alone.
Sounds like the town in that movie with Sandra Bullock that plays on TV all the time..."Hope something" (can't quite remember)

I think that's just a common thing everywhere in small towns and even big cities...especially those that have high native populations. People who grow up there feel like they need to get out and experience something new so they either go to college out of state or take their first job (post college or in some cases even high school) out of state, live the young adventurer lifestyle for a while; but then come back home when they want to "settle down". It has almost become part of "the American experience"

Old 01-03-2013, 07:36 PM

368 posts, read 996,015 times
I lived in my hometown until I was 36 years old--went to college there, graduate school, worked for the local school system. I loved it. Since leaving, my family and I have lived in NC, CA, and, now VA (we've gotten around in seven years!). The way I put it to my sister was--I wish we'd never left, but, now that we have, I don't want to go back.

There's a bigger, brighter world out there beyond where I grew up--I just wish I didn't know it.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:55 PM

934 posts, read 1,441,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I will never move back to Kansas. I know it is not for me and I like a nice percentage of people that share my common interests and values. Also, the climate in Kansas is horrible with summers that are much too hot.
So I've heard... My point being it's my home, and I still love it, flaws and all.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:09 PM

996 posts, read 1,897,450 times
Lived in my hometown, NYC, for most of my life. Don't live there now. Live in Charlotte, NC/Morgantown, WV currently

Old 07-31-2016, 09:24 AM

326 posts, read 181,781 times
I remained in my hometown. I love it here and I honestly wouldn't think about moving away. I like the familiarity, being close to family, etc.. Moving to another city would not be in my best interest.

Old 07-31-2016, 09:28 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Moved away.

Grew up "behind the Grey Curtain" in Rochester, NY, which has the worst weather in the whole country outside the Upper Midwest.

Lived in Phoenix since 2001, and in a couple years, am moving to Greater Los Angeles

Old 07-31-2016, 11:18 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefallensrvnge View Post
So I've heard... My point being it's my home, and I still love it, flaws and all.
Looks like you left and moved also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.