Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 10:48 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times

Advertisements

In my area I have noticed the overall population has been pretty stagnant for awhile, and after getting to meet some of the locals I now see why. People who live here live with the mentality of, "This is my home, it's where I'm from, it's what I love, there is nothing else out there for me."

I currently live in Mississippi, rankings for just about everything here are bottom of the barrel and people here do not care. They say they tire of being the scourge of the rest of the country, but are content to keep living life as they have for generations, behind the rest of the country.

Is this mindset common everywhere? People are too proud of their home town or state or area to ever leave?

I try to reason with people here, letting them know that outside of Mississippi there are far better places, places with more employment opportunities, better standards of living, less crime, less poverty, more affluent people, more places to visit, see, and things to do, but these people are not interested in leaving, which is probably why the state's overall population is growing very slowly, no one moves in and no one moves out.

I grew up in South Bend Indiana, in a few years time I will be leaving Mississippi, however I do not intend to returning to South Bend Indiana, because I know there are better places out there and I want to experience them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 07:18 AM

139 posts, read 501,156 times
I'm from small town Mid-Michigan...and most of my generation moves away. But this isn't really saying much because 90% of the people who move head to either Grand Rapids, Lansing or Detroit for jobs...which is essentially the minimal move to begin a decent career.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:31 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Its pretty common for Millennials to move from small towns, cities, and suburbs to young hotspots like Austin, Portland, Seattle, etc. Those who don't do that generally move to a large regional city.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:27 PM

502 posts, read 717,231 times
I grew up in the industrial midwest, did the liberal hipster thing and moved to California after college for work/life experience for several years, then came back to the midwest when I found myself getting more laid-back/conservative and ready for a new chapter in my life. It's quite common. I still maintain ties to my California community, but my loyalties to my family and native region brought me back home. There's no place like home and sometimes you have to go away for a while to truly appreciate it.

Last edited by fightforlove; 12-11-2012 at 02:41 PM..

Old 12-11-2012, 02:32 PM

295 posts, read 358,798 times
Louisiana's #1 export - not oil, not gas, not timber. College graduates. I was in the 2000 shipment. Haven't felt the call home yet, but who knows, maybe one day. But a lot of things would have to change that they don't seem too willing to change.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:07 AM

654 posts, read 1,909,119 times
Moved away! Loved my home area but it wasn't for me as an adult. I grew up in a town named for my mother's family with only 1000 people. As a gay man, if I ever wanted a social life, I had to move.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:07 AM

10,743 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Grew up in a small town in Northeastern Mass with only 4,000 people. I loved that area and I'm very grateful to be raised there but I had to set myself out for new horizons and I like change. Moved away to Seattle for 5 years in my early 20's. Moved back to Boston suburbs for 7 years, now in NM since spring 2012. I can't see myself going back to New England (especially the climate), though I can't say I every saw myself living in the Southwest even 3 years ago. Life changes.

My whole family use to live in the same county growing up in Massachusetts. Now only my Dad is there, my family has fanned out to FL, NC, ND, AK, & NM. Everybody has left for a number of reasons inlcluding job opportunties (why else would my cousin end up in Fargo, ND?), climate, retirement, cost of living etc.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 12-20-2012 at 08:19 AM..

Old 12-20-2012, 08:14 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Moved away for 13 years, then came back. You can come home again. Though that's not what works for everyone.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:08 AM

934 posts, read 1,440,115 times
I'm originally from Kansas City, but spent most of my life in a small town in Kansas. I've have noticed this "I don't want to leave attitude" from some Kansans before, but it seems to pale in comparison to the prideful nature of some people from the more prominent cities like Miami, New York, or LA. It was nice to live in a state that wasn't too hung up on itself, because it encouraged me to leave.

If you want to move away, do it. The world is big. Huge. I moved away because I wanted to get some sense of it before I die and no longer have the opportunity. But I know I can always go home again.

Last edited by thefallensrvnge; 12-20-2012 at 09:21 AM..

Old 12-20-2012, 10:56 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,171,669 times
Moved away.

Native Chicagoan but dad was transferred. He had a choice and chose Kentucky since it was closest to Chicago (we spent A LOT of time driving up & back on I-65).

After college..no work in KY...so I briefly moved back to Chicago, then to California (Bay Area and Sacramento) and am now in (goforsaken) Dayton.

I consider Chicago and (Louisville) Kentucky my co-hometowns, tho im at heart a Chicagoan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.