U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 08:21 AM

12,333 posts, read 10,300,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I remember my grandmother (native of Tidewater Virginia) occasionally using it. She came home one time from her (Episcopal) church and declared that the new Rector was a 'bloody Papist' LOL.
It didn't surprise me that she used it or that people in that region would. That area's residents always seemed to be more in touch with their British heritage.

"Papists" is an anti-catholic slur. Very enlightened of your grandmother, not. What do you expect from a southerner though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 08:24 AM

684 posts, read 694,794 times
The word bloody is a profanity in the purest sense: As in, it's designed to be profane.

It's a contraction of the expression, "By our Lady" and refers to the Virgin Mary.

So 'Bloody papists' would actually be pretty accurate.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:48 AM

44,702 posts, read 36,132,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
"Papists" is an anti-catholic slur. Very enlightened of your grandmother, not. What do you expect from a southerner though.
You're a pot calling the kettle black in this post. Not very enlightened!

The irony...!

Old 12-12-2012, 08:48 AM

6,972 posts, read 12,482,290 times
I say bloody quite alot. Mostly when I'm driving. I was born in Ireland and lived there into my early childhood. I heard the word quite alot. Ireland says bloody or bleedin also. Then after my family moved to Massachuetts with its large Irish population. I still heard the word quite often. So I've been exposed to it much of my life.

I can't say I hear Americans using the word. If I do its because they have a backround similiar to mine. From what I have noticed bloody is primarily used in the UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand. Maybe there are some others out there. Parts of Canada might. I'm not sure.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:55 AM

5,835 posts, read 10,781,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
As a curse word, of course. Like say, 'that was bloody awful!' or 'bloody hell!'

I'm hearing this from Americans on message boards.etc more, are more Americans starting to use it?

Always assumed anyone who said it in an American accent in that context was either Canadian or perhaps from New England. Are Americans being influenced by the UK and perhaps Australia? Of course here in Australia we say it a lot, but it still sounds weird if an American says it lol.
Only Americans who have a strong affinity for things British might say that once in awhile. Otherwise, no you don't hear it.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:59 AM

44,702 posts, read 36,132,256 times
I saturate my mind with all things British so much of the time. I love British history, BBC, Masterpiece Theater series, etc. My daughter lives in Yorkshire. I love tea and CS Lewis and GK Chesterton. My favorite saint is Sir Thomas More. My CD "handle" is Catherine of Aragon (KathrynAragon). I think about Kate and William and rejoice in the news that they are expecting a child. I'm planning a trip to the UK next year.

So yes, I catch myself saying "bloody" pretty often - without even meaning to!

Old 12-12-2012, 10:07 AM

933 posts, read 1,606,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
only really heard it when someone was impersonating "British way of talking"...as in "that chap's talking bloody rubbish" in a terribly overdone British accent
This. I heard it a lot of high school, usually accompanied by a poorly delivered Monty Python quote. I've not heard it much at all since then. Except for my boss, who is a native Australian.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:19 AM

15,504 posts, read 17,724,856 times
I have been saying 'bloody' this and 'bloody' that since at least the late 80s, so pre-internet. Maybe I got it from watching TV, who knows.

The thing is, no one has ever called me out on it, even way back when Britishisms were a bit more rare. I have been called out for using 'proper' and 'sort/sorted' in characteristic British usage. Again, these are just things that are seeping into my speech, no doubt mainly from television.

For what it's worth, I don't think 'bloody' stands out as an affectation as much as it does when Americans throw around words like 'flat', 'lift', or 'lorry'. But other parts of America may be more provincial and even a casual 'bloody' will ring strangely in someone's ear.

Then again, I also say 'sheiße', a lot, but you hear that sometimes in areas of America with heavy German-American influence. I also say 'uff' and 'uff da' (in the proper context, not the way Minnesotans mean it), but I say a lot of Norwegian things since a bit of the language was spoken in my household.

Maybe I am just an easy adopter of non-standard language.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:39 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,794,792 times
douchey americans say it.

It reminds me of an internet meme I saw the other day with some pretentious "traveller" kid with a suitcase with like 90 country stickers on it. The meme went as follows:

Stayed in London two days

Speaks with British Accent

Old 12-12-2012, 11:45 AM

12,333 posts, read 10,300,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You're a pot calling the kettle black in this post. Not very enlightened!

The irony...!
Ok, I did generalize a bit too much with that statement. Most certainly not all Southerners and in particular New Orleans. But I would hardly think of Jackson, MS when thinking of religious tolerance.

Growing up we heard stories of how anti-catholic (except New Orleans) the south was. You cannot deny that fact. Catholics weren't allowed to rent apartments, or were booted out, when landlords found out they went to church. My mom had a friend move down there in the early 1960's and she was asked to leave an apartment when the bigoted landlord found out she went to a catholic church. I'm not saying all southerners, but many did harbor nasty feelings about Catholics.

I know it is hard for people down south to admit this, but why do you think your region has the worst reputation in the country when it comes to which regions of the US have a more liberal outlook on religious and ethnic tolerance? I mean, why is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.