U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 11:48 AM

5,239 posts, read 6,764,665 times

Advertisements

I bloody well use it all the time, and have for many years, saves me from more salty language when I get angry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 03:30 PM

23,112 posts, read 35,052,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
"Papists" is an anti-catholic slur. Very enlightened of your grandmother, not. What do you expect from a southerner though.
In case you're not an Episcopalian, let me enlighten you. The church is divided into high and low liturgies. She was used to a low liturgy, the new priest began immediately instructing them in one that lent a far more formal and Catholic structure to their service. So I want to thank you for using my thread as an opportunity to insult my grandmother and Southerners in general. You can kindly go back to pounding sand now.

Last edited by Iconographer; 12-12-2012 at 04:40 PM..

Old 12-12-2012, 06:02 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,807,303 times
Quote:
Ok, I did generalize a bit too much with that statement. Most certainly not all Southerners and in particular New Orleans. But I would hardly think of Jackson, MS when thinking of religious tolerance.

Growing up we heard stories of how anti-catholic (except New Orleans) the south was. You cannot deny that fact. Catholics weren't allowed to rent apartments, or were booted out, when landlords found out they went to church. My mom had a friend move down there in the early 1960's and she was asked to leave an apartment when the bigoted landlord found out she went to a catholic church. I'm not saying all southerners, but many did harbor nasty feelings about Catholics.

I know it is hard for people down south to admit this, but why do you think your region has the worst reputation in the country when it comes to which regions of the US have a more liberal outlook on religious and ethnic tolerance? I mean, why is that?
In the early 1960s, I, as a black man, wouldn't even be able to rent an apartment in many places in The South. Here I am, though; able to live wherever I choose. So please tell me you're not suggesting "our" region is the same place it was 50 years ago.

The fact of the matter is, The South has progressed far more than many people like you would be willing to admit. Nowadays, most people down here could care less what your religion is.

What I find so funny is that you act as if the northern and western parts of this nation don't harbor some pretty mean-spirited attitudes about evangelical Protestants.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:24 PM

12,335 posts, read 10,315,855 times
"Bloody" sounds quite strange coming out of the mouth of an Americans. Don't use it, and know one I know uses it. You rarely ever hear it.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:57 PM

44,884 posts, read 36,203,761 times
Quote:
Ok, I did generalize a bit too much with that statement. Most certainly not all Southerners and in particular New Orleans. But I would hardly think of Jackson, MS when thinking of religious tolerance.

Growing up we heard stories of how anti-catholic (except New Orleans) the south was. You cannot deny that fact. Catholics weren't allowed to rent apartments, or were booted out, when landlords found out they went to church. My mom had a friend move down there in the early 1960's and she was asked to leave an apartment when the bigoted landlord found out she went to a catholic church. I'm not saying all southerners, but many did harbor nasty feelings about Catholics.

I know it is hard for people down south to admit this, but why do you think your region has the worst reputation in the country when it comes to which regions of the US have a more liberal outlook on religious and ethnic tolerance? I mean, why is that?
All I can tell you is that I lived, AS A CATHOLIC, in Northeast Texas with absolutely zero problems. Catholicism is the fastest growing Christian group in the south, from what I understand.

I also lived and worshipped freely - as a Catholic - in Arkansas. My daughter is Catholic and lives blatantly as a Catholic in Shreveport, Louisiana. My other daughter's husband is Catholic and has no problems to report living in Virginia. I have lifelong Catholic friends from Georgia who have never had an issue.

I guess there could be some problems in smaller towns, or in the 1960s (an era not known for it's open mindedness in ANY region), but I've never heard of any.

Scarlett O'Hara and her family were Roman Catholic. Just sayin'!

Old 12-12-2012, 07:01 PM

8,931 posts, read 11,807,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
All I can tell you is that I lived, AS A CATHOLIC, in Northeast Texas with absolutely zero problems.
And that's saying a lot more than I'm sure he'll realize.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:17 PM

24,683 posts, read 45,403,340 times
Catholicism has definitely had a long history in parts of the South - noticeably those with large Spanish, French, Irish (Irish Irish) populations. Of course the core old plantation states were typically first settled by British, and the Upland South by the Scots- Irish, who were quite vehemently Protestant.

You'd be surprised how anti-Catholic much of Protestant Europe can be even today, even among people who aren't even that religious. Not as bad as 50 years ago, but Catholicism has been a contentious thing in Britain for historical reasons.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:29 AM

169 posts, read 383,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
As a curse word, of course. Like say, 'that was bloody awful!' or 'bloody hell!'

I'm hearing this from Americans on message boards.etc more, are more Americans starting to use it?

Always assumed anyone who said it in an American accent in that context was either Canadian or perhaps from New England. Are Americans being influenced by the UK and perhaps Australia? Of course here in Australia we say it a lot, but it still sounds weird if an American says it lol.
Canadians and New Englanders don't use the word that way either. It's pretty much a non-American English thing. I haven't come across any North Americans using the word that way. On the internet it's a dead giveaway that you're from an English-speaking country that's not in North America but I wouldn't be surprised if a few people used it. It's probably more common for people to use it online than in speech because it probably feels a lot weirder to say than to type.

I have started calling soccer "football" though. Just because EVERY other damn country calls it football and most fans you'll ever run into will not be American.

Last edited by pnoozi; 12-14-2012 at 03:40 AM..

Old 12-14-2012, 04:53 AM

24,683 posts, read 45,403,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoozi View Post
Canadians and New Englanders don't use the word that way either. It's pretty much a non-American English thing. I haven't come across any North Americans using the word that way. On the internet it's a dead giveaway that you're from an English-speaking country that's not in North America but I wouldn't be surprised if a few people used it. It's probably more common for people to use it online than in speech because it probably feels a lot weirder to say than to type.

I have started calling soccer "football" though. Just because EVERY other damn country calls it football and most fans you'll ever run into will not be American.
You sure, I've definitely heard it on TV before. I also read an interview with Bette Davis, from Boston and a proud Yankee, and she used it.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:05 PM

3,151 posts, read 3,089,309 times
Default Ha ha...

I'm married to a Brit and yeah, some of his British expressions have seeped into my vocabulary without thinking about it...

Oh bloody hell!
Oh bullocks!
Sod off!
What a wanker! (can I type that?)
He finally twigged!
Man, he's thick! (not referring to his weight, but his thick head! LOL!)

And I unconsciously say it with my normal American accent, unless I'm purposely exaggerating just to tease him!

BTW, when we first met, I could barely understand him! His accent has softened over the years, but it's still unmistakably English. When his sister calls, she laughs and says he sounds like an American! It's funny because he doesn't, and when he tries to sound like one, it comes out like some strange southern accent.
He can do tons of regional accents in Briton though... Liverpool, North England, Scottish, etc.

Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.