U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 07:49 AM

7,810 posts, read 6,631,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
only really heard it when someone was impersonating "British way of talking"...as in "that chap's talking bloody rubbish" in a terribly overdone British accent
LOL, Ive never heard anybody in Britain say anything like this :-). I think language is continuosly evovlving, it works all ways, the British will pick up on Australian and American words / slang and the Americans will pick up on Australian and British slang and of course the Australians will pick up on British and American slang, not to mention Canada, New Zealand etc. This I think is a natural phenomanen caused by an ever shrinking world. It is a bit of a shame really cos its little differences in the language that can make us all smile. In Australia I believe what we call 'flip flops' Australians call thongs? (slip on sandals with the bit that sits between your toes), in the UK thongs are the womens undergarments that amount to not much more than a piece of string (if you get my meaning). Imagine the look on my face when I overheard an Australian in London asking somebody near by if they can go into Westminster Abbey wearing just her 'thongs'!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 08:52 AM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,596,733 times
If this GUY (namely yours truly) wore a thong to The Westminster Abby, I have no doubt that THEY would put me where I "bloody" belong. In the booby hatch ! ~♥~
Really I say "bloody" quite often (because I like saying it) and to show a bit of respect for one of our "Mother Countries". I feel a bit sorry for England since we kicked their butts in the revolution.
Just joking on that one but it does seem to me that it shows a bit of respect when people adopt words, foods and customs from other nations or peoples. We're all mixing it all up and it's all good.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:08 AM

7,810 posts, read 6,631,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLookPhoto View Post
If this GUY (namely yours truly) wore a thong to The Westminster Abby, I have no doubt that THEY would put me where I "bloody" belong. In the booby hatch ! ~♥~
Really I say "bloody" quite often (because I like saying it) and to show a bit of respect for one of our "Mother Countries". I feel a bit sorry for England since we kicked their butts in the revolution.
Just joking on that one but it does seem to me that it shows a bit of respect when people adopt words, foods and customs from other nations or peoples. We're all mixing it all up and it's all good.
I thought that was the French?

Old 06-04-2013, 11:39 PM

823 posts, read 825,623 times
It's becoming more common. It's a small world now with film and internet. In America, I don't think it has the same connotation as a swear word. So it's good to use! I think it's nice to try new words and definitions myself. Bloody being, by American standards a bit innocent.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:22 AM

1,314 posts, read 1,737,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
LOL, Ive never heard anybody in Britain say anything like this :-). I think language is continuosly evovlving, it works all ways, the British will pick up on Australian and American words / slang and the Americans will pick up on Australian and British slang and of course the Australians will pick up on British and American slang, not to mention Canada, New Zealand etc. This I think is a natural phenomanen caused by an ever shrinking world. It is a bit of a shame really cos its little differences in the language that can make us all smile. In Australia I believe what we call 'flip flops' Australians call thongs? (slip on sandals with the bit that sits between your toes), in the UK thongs are the womens undergarments that amount to not much more than a piece of string (if you get my meaning). Imagine the look on my face when I overheard an Australian in London asking somebody near by if they can go into Westminster Abbey wearing just her 'thongs'!!
You also don't want to say "fanny pack."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.