U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2013, 10:40 PM

87 posts, read 170,123 times

Advertisements

South Dakota...only has the rapid city area for natural beauty.....a small portion of the western part of the state.....there is a sign on the border from Nebraska in South Dakota that reads "If u bring drugs into the state of SD, plan on staying a long long time".....these are very very rigid and conservative police states...wth cops that love to pull you over if you have out of state plates, ...both the Dakotas......been there...to both of them......new jails and prisons recently built...SD, is the same state that attempted to pass a law outlawing abortion in the state....a few years ago....they are good for families though... guess some might say
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 10:55 PM

983 posts, read 1,429,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietrain View Post
South Dakota...only has the rapid city area for natural beauty.....a small portion of the western part of the state.....there is a sign on the border from Nebraska in South Dakota that reads "If u bring drugs into the state of SD, plan on staying a long long time".....these are very very rigid and conservative police states...wth cops that love to pull you over if you have out of state plates, ...both the Dakotas......been there...to both of them......new jails and prisons recently built...SD, is the same state that attempted to pass a law outlawing abortion in the state....a few years ago....they are good for families though... guess some might say
Well it is a little strange to see plates from far away during the off season. Drugs are a major problem on the reservations (and in the cities) of the state and most of the drugs don't come from inside of the state.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:49 AM

13,097 posts, read 13,487,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Ohio has very little in common with the Northeast, save the westernmost extensions of Pennsylvania and New York, which themselves are more like the Midwest than the Northeast.
I agree that Ohio is solidly Midwestern culturally, but disagree that western parts of NY/PA are more like the Midwest. You can say that they have some Great Lakes characteristics, but I kind of feel that is somewhat different from the Midwest. Ohio has both.

Old 12-15-2013, 03:02 PM

15,036 posts, read 4,800,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Guess I'll be the first person to leave most of my bias at the door....

1. Wisconsin - it's VERY hard to admit this but Wisconsin is just a damn fun State on all accounts: outdoor recreation, cool cities, laid back, beautiful scenery, etc. It sort of has it all and at the same time, not one specific dominant asset.
2. Michigan - very much like Wisconsin, and arguably more beautiful, but the blight and well-being of the state drop it a rank.
3. Minnesota - MY home state, but can see why it'd be behind WI and MI, although I still think it's in the same stratosphere and compares well on just about every measure. Where it lacks (moreso) in beauty (b/c of the Plains), it makes up for in progressiveness and cosmopolitan-ness (Cities).
4. Ohio - Has a lot of what the top 3 have, but like MI is also very depressed and fairly backwards on a lot of the key things I think good states should care about (like schools). Live here now.
5. Missouri - Right up there with OH, and arguably interchangeable. I have lived here as well and the state can be visually stunning in ways that would surprise most. Two awesome cities to boot. Culturally very strange to me and too "Southern" in many ways/places for my liking.
6. South Dakota - This is arguably the most magnificent state in terms of natural attractions (as well as man-made), and it rarely gets the love it deserves. Still, NOBODY lives here and it's incredibly sparse, which is a phobia of mine.
7. Illinois - I haven't been downstate too much so it's hard for me to rank it, but this state is the very definition of the "Midwest".....so flat, so boring, so agricultural. Southern parts downstate clash with Northern parts upstate like Chicago. Politically backwards and wrong in so many ways and culturally different as day and night. Very odd state.
8. Iowa - Thought about ranking it above IL, but Chicago gave the advantage to IL. Otherwise the states have similar natural beauty and boredome. IA isn't as culturally or politically polarizing as IL is though.
9. North Dakota - If I love SD then I should technically also love ND. It's not nearly as interesting though in reality, but still very raw and rugged like SD. The oil economy makes it an economic powerhouse now too. Fact is this is an incredibly sparse and barron landscape that is still pretty tough to love. And the weather puts MN to shame!!!
10. Indiana - It's hard to put OH or MI higher on the list and have IN at the very bottom, but my general impression of this state to date has been very very bad. It's too conservative, too "Southern", too redneck, seemingly anti-progressive in parts, depressing and blighted like OH or MI, and I haven't found many places I cared to visit. I hear Indy is great though, so there's a saving grace there (I have only driven through it).
11. Kansas - Wow, what can I say? Hotter than two rats phuking in a wool sock in summer and bone dry. Reminds me of a desert at times.
12. Nebraska - .............................................!!... ......................................my impression of NE.
Lawrence is the only city I would go out of my way to visit in Kansas. It also is only a short drive to Kansas City, MO (approx 30 miles or so). You were kind of hard on Nebraska there...it does have Omaha and Lincoln. I would agree it should not be in the top 5 of Midwest states, but it certainly rates above North Dakota and at least even with South Dakota. I agree that Wisconsin, Michigan and Minnesota should be the top three choices!

Old 12-15-2013, 03:16 PM

15,036 posts, read 4,800,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
That's a cute little theory, but....no, just no. Minnesota and Missouri have almost identical non-Hispanic white populations (86.9% vs. 86.5%). Minnesota has higher Hispanic and Asian-American populations, and the Twin Cities metro area has significantly more foreign-born residents than either St. Louis or KC....so I'm guessing the state as a whole probably does, too?

The only reason you even bring that up is, presumably, some insecurities about MO's schools? The answer is way, way, way less convoluted than ethnic homogeneity. The answer is that MN funds its schools effectively, and MO doesn't.

Sorry. Grab a consolation prize, and please come back and play again!
You are right and they should thank you for the comment, too. The sooner that states, cities, school districts, individual schools, parents, teachers and students take action to improve education and stop making excuses, the sooner things will change for the better. Excuses like "another state is homogenuous" are useless. Thanks for providing the white and ethnic population data, too.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:38 PM

3,655 posts, read 4,601,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesarstl View Post
No argument on Chicago, but Detroit?

Detroit MSA: 4,285,832
St. Louis MSA: 2,817,355
Kansas City MSA: 2,052,676

STL + KC = 4,870,031 Seems bigger to me...
Detroit-Windsor MSA: 5,760,344
St. Louis MSA: 2,817,355
Kansas City MSA: 2,052,676

STL + KC = 4,870,031

Not quite.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:01 PM

904 posts, read 1,635,237 times
Ohio is the best

...Even though it's filled with people who have the biggest "Grass is always greener" complex known to man. I was born and raised here, so yes I know what I'm talking about lol.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:01 AM

95 posts, read 154,895 times
My list:
1. Wisconsin
1. Minnesota
My favorite two states in the midwest. I wish Wisconsin were the clear frontrunner for me, as its my home state, but it's kind of a tossup. I prefer the Twin Cities by just a bit over Milwaukee, but WI more than makes up for it by Madison, which would be my top choice to live in if ever we would return to the midwest. Both states have the northwoods, though MN has more true wilderness than WI. Both states have the beautiful driftless region, though a much bigger chunk is in Wisconsin. I'm a little dismayed by the political situation in Wisconsin though, and I can't help but think WI is being left behind by MN.
3. Michigan MI would be tied for first for me with WI and MN, as it has some gorgeous scenery (entire UP, Lake Michigan beaches, orchards, etc), but the economy has been pretty rough for years now and there's a lot of blight. Still a wonderful state.
4. Iowa Not as much to do recreation wise as neighboring WI and MN, and I think if I were to ever live there I'd feel like I was stuck in the middle of the corn belt isolated from most population centers, but I love Iowa City and northeastern Iowa is beautiful and hilly. Don't think there's a lot to see for a visitor though.
5 Nebraska Yeah I know much of it is flat and boring, but the Sandhills are gorgeous, and floating down the Niabrara River is a lot of fun. It's been years since I've been to Omaha, so don't remember too much about it, but I remember thinking the waterfront along the Missouri River was cool, and there's a great music scene in the city (or was about 10 years ago, not sure what it's like now).
6 Illinois I love, love, love Chicago. But I'm not crazy about the sprawl in the burbs, and most of the rest of the state is cornbelt with the occasional small town with a depressed economy. The northwestern part of the state around Galena is nice though, and I've always wanted to explore the Shawnee Hills in the southern part.
7 North Dakota Much of it's very empty, and I don't think I'd ever want to live there, but the badlands along the Little Missouri River are striking.
8 South Dakota Perhaps if I had ever made it to the Badlands or Blackhills, I'd rank this state higher, but the portion I've been through just seemed empty to me. And it's too conservative for my political stance.
9 Indiana Ok, so the only part of IN I've been through is northwest IN, and what with Gary and its dilapidated steelmills, it's probably not the best face IN has to show. I've heard a lot of good things about Indianapolis, and that it's a well run city with a bright future. My wife's been there for work, and thought it was fine, though a bit "sportsbarish" for her tastes, if that makes sense. Not saying that's bad, just not our cup of tea.
10 Ohio one of only two midwestern states on the list I've never been to, so perhaps I shouldn't rank it. I've always thought of it as kind of like MI without the northwoods and not as much Great Lakes shoreline. I'm sure I'm not doing it justice, I'll make it there someday.
11 Missouri this is where the midwest turns into the South (or so it's always felt to me). It's too Bible Belt for my tastes, though I've driven along the edge of the Ozarks, and would love to explore that area some day.
12 Kansas the other state I haven't been to. Like Missouri I'm guessing it's too Bible Belt for my tastes; the thing that comes to my mind are school boards trying to get the districts to teach intelligent design and other nonsense. I know Kansas is hardly alone in this, so I know I'm not giving the state a fair shake. I'm sure there are wonderful qualities to the state and I'll get there someday to see it myself.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:59 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,443,423 times
Seems to me a lot of people are high on South Dakota because of the western portion of the state, which isn't Midwestern at all. It's much more like Wyoming, Montana, and even portions of Colorado than Midwestern. Same can probably be said for North Dakota.

The eastern 2/3rds of the state, which is culturally Midwestern, is nothing to write home about.

Old 12-17-2013, 02:49 PM

21,319 posts, read 21,890,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Seems to me a lot of people are high on South Dakota because of the western portion of the state, which isn't Midwestern at all. It's much more like Wyoming, Montana, and even portions of Colorado than Midwestern. Same can probably be said for North Dakota.

The eastern 2/3rds of the state, which is culturally Midwestern, is nothing to write home about.
LOL, says the guy from Alabama
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.