U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2013, 11:24 AM

12,698 posts, read 10,514,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
One thing has become evident by pretty much everyone's post on this thread, and that is that Indiana ranks dead last.
I didn't want to say it because this is a favorite states thread, but yes Indiana comes last for me.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2013, 01:37 PM

8,341 posts, read 14,104,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
My freshman year of college I biked from Cleveland to Minnesota that took me through all of the Midwestern states. I can tell you with certainty that Indiana had the least pleasant people out of all the states I went to. When I got to Illinois it was like a breath of fresh air.
You polled an entire state by bike? Impressive. I once rode my bike through Ohio, and someone in a car threw a milkshake at me. Based on that, i can conclude that Ohioans are backwards and hostile. Except not really......i have enough intellect to seperate out a couple of goofballs from generalizations about an entire state.

Old 12-20-2013, 01:54 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,850,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
You polled an entire state by bike? Impressive. I once rode my bike through Ohio, and someone in a car threw a milkshake at me. Based on that, i can conclude that Ohioans are backwards and hostile. Except not really......i have enough intellect to seperate out a couple of goofballs from generalizations about an entire state.
I just remember that almost everyone I encountered there was rude, and I heard more than one person make blatant racist comments. In other states when I would tell them what I was doing (riding to the Minnesota) they would be interested; in Indiana I remember getting asked "why the hell would you do that?" and got a lot of dirty looks. It was also the only state where I had people throw something at me from their pick up truck. Not to mention that it is the only consistently red state in the Midwest, and the history, being the state where the KKK formed. I've been to Indianapolis and thought it was a nice city but everything I've seen outside of that was very poor, conservative, and rude.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:08 PM

8,341 posts, read 14,104,968 times
th
Quote:
I just remember that almost everyone I encountered there was rude, and I heard more than one person make blatant racist comments. In other states when I would tell them what I was doing (riding to the Minnesota) they would be interested; in Indiana I remember getting asked "why the hell would you do that?" and got a lot of dirty looks. It was also the only state where I had people throw something at me from their pick up truck. Not to mention that it is the only consistently red state in the Midwest, and the history, being the state where the KKK formed. I've been to Indianapolis and thought it was a nice city but everything I've seen outside of that was very poor, conservative, and rude.
Your cherry picked hasty generalizations are impressive, you win the interwebz today. Congrats.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:35 PM

4,267 posts, read 5,484,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Yeah, I've had good and bad experiences nearly everywhere I've been, but I don't like to assume either is wholly representative of an entire state. Now I have my own personal disagreements with politics in Indiana, but that's a whole other ball of wax...

Old 12-20-2013, 08:15 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,056,373 times
Indiana is nicer than Kansas.

Actually, while Indiana isn't my favorite state in the Midwest I think it is a bit of a sleeper. Indianapolis and Bloomington have more going on than people generally recognize.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:50 PM

814 posts, read 1,072,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post

Actually, while Indiana isn't my favorite state in the Midwest I think it is a bit of a sleeper. Indianapolis and Bloomington have more going on than people generally recognize.
Having actually lived in both, I can say they are both sleeper states.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:11 AM

1,327 posts, read 2,671,558 times
I used to go to Evansville for work on a semi regular basis, I always found Hoosiers to be real friendly. In fact, I don't think I've ever had a problem in any the the Midwestern states I've been to.

Even when Cubby fans come down for Cards games, it's usually a good time even though we are rivals. Blackhawk fans are a different story .

I like all the Midwest states but, I will say that Michigan, Wisconsin and Missouri are the prettiest. IMO.

Old 12-21-2013, 11:45 AM

135 posts, read 131,420 times
Quote:
This is actually not true at all, but people-including fellow Hoosiers who don't know our history-continue to state it as fact. We certainly have a dark, unfortunate history with the kkk, and I think their (past) presence here has damaged our states reputation for generations. However, the kkk was started in Tennessee during reconstruction by Nathan Bedford Forrest. It didn't spread to Indiana until the 1900's (when it also came to the rest of the Midwest, and also had staggeringly high enrollment numbers in places like Ohio, and Illinois). They had more of an influence politically in Indiana than elsewhere, and a higher percentage of members per capita than other states, but they really only had any influence in Indiana for...I don't know..less than a decade of our 200+ year history. Using the kkk as a reason to knock our state today would be like saying "Detroit is the fastest growing city in the world" in an attempt to praise it. It was true at one time, but not so today (and I'm not knocking Detroit. I love Detroit, and am a huge cheerleader for it). I'm not trying to run away from a dark chapter of our history. It was real, it was here, and it represents, in my opinion, the worst time period in Indiana. However, THE KLAN WAS NOT STARTED HERE, and the fact that they were once so popular does not have any bearing on, nor should it reflect poorly on, 99.9% of Hoosiers today. And yes, Indy is nice.
As an aside, I've lived in Indiana for 25 out of my 27 years, growing up in rural Indiana, and returning back to the state to settle in Indianapolis. I am always astonished at the number of people from other states posting on here who have claimed to have overheard "racist remarks" while passing through Indiana. I'm not saying you didn't, I just have never experienced anything like that. I actually can't fathom a scenario where it would happen. Just seems unusual that it is seemingly so common for people passing through, but I can't come up with a single instance where I have casually encountered overt racism growing up here...anyway, cheers. Love the debate on here, and i'm sorry for the long post. I think in general, the Midwest is highly underrated, and we should all be on the same team. Indiana is my favorite state, but I enjoyed my time living In Ohio, Michigan is obviously gorgeous, Milwaukee is probably one of the most underrated cities in the country, Chicago is a blast....I could go on. There's a lot to love in the Midwest.

Old 12-21-2013, 02:38 PM

2,199 posts, read 2,321,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
Mark me down for "strongly disagree". Kansas is lovely, has wonderful weather, fascinating people, a key place in the heart and mind of American culture, and is as dynamic a place as exists in this country, or any other.

Indiana is a case study in "meh".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.