U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2013, 04:49 PM

6,513 posts, read 9,049,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Mark me down for "strongly disagree". Kansas is lovely, has wonderful weather, fascinating people, a key place in the heart and mind of American culture, and is as dynamic a place as exists in this country, or any other.

Indiana is a case study in "meh".
Everything you said is subjective. Wonderful weather, fascinating people, key place in the heart and mind of American culture? I don't know where you measure these stats, but I have to disagree with what you said and place it in the subjective category which is therefore discounted entirely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 07:10 AM

2,200 posts, read 2,318,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Everything you said is subjective.... I have to disagree with what you said and place it in the subjective category which is therefore discounted entirely.
Yeah. It's a thread about people's "favorite state in the midwest". It's inherently subjective. And, yes, everything I wrote is subjective, except that Kansas occupies a more central role in American culture than Indiana. For better or worse, that's just a fact. Kansas is an archetypal place, one of the top 5-10 states in the country in terms of cultural relevance. Indiana is not.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Yeah. It's a thread about people's "favorite state in the midwest". It's inherently subjective. And, yes, everything I wrote is subjective, except that Kansas occupies a more central role in American culture than Indiana. For better or worse, that's just a fact. Kansas is an archetypal place, one of the top 5-10 states in the country in terms of cultural relevance. Indiana is not.
Well if you're going to back up why a state is your favorite or in your case is better than another, you had better bring facts. Please state or explain how Kansas is a more "archetypal place" or in the top 5 of cultural relevance in the country, I can think of many states that rank ahead of it.

Fascinating people? Wonderful weather? Key culture? You can say that about any area...doesn't mean it's even remotely true.

Actually, I think Alabama and Mississippi have better weather than any midwest state, play more of a cultural role due to their agriculture and cotton production of the 1800's along with their role in the civil war, and I find southerners to be some of the most friendly strangers you'll ever meet. Oh and by the way, Alabama and Mississippi are no more midwestern than Kansas is. Kansas is a great plains state, leave it out of this discussion.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Oh and by the way, Alabama and Mississippi are no more midwestern than Kansas is. Kansas is a great plains state, leave it out of this discussion.
Sounds like you probably need to do a little digging about what the word midwest means, when it was first used and in reference to what.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you probably need to do a little digging about what the word midwest means, when it was first used and in reference to what.
Please don't tell me you think Kansas is in the midwest.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Please don't tell me you think Kansas is in the midwest.
Me and like, 99% of everyone else in America. In fact, Kansas is the state that is most often and most consistently identified as "midwestern" when Americans are asked "where is the midwest". That's not subjective. That's a fact. Here's another: the word midwest was invented to describe Kansas (and some other states).

Maybe you didn't read the OP:

Quote:
As we all know, there are 12 states in the Midwest. North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio. Take your pick on which states would get your top votes and explain why.

Old 12-22-2013, 04:31 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,669,849 times
Quote:
Me and like, 99% of everyone else in America. In fact, Kansas is the state that is most often and most consistently identified as "midwestern" when Americans are asked "where is the midwest". That's not subjective. That's a fact. Here's another: the word midwest was invented to describe Kansas (and some other states).

Maybe you didn't read the OP:
While Kansas, Nebraska, North and South Dakota are technically considered the Midwest, Most Midwesterner's I know consider them to be the Great Plains. The Great Plains are often thought to be there own region separate from the Midwest to a lot of the people that live near those states.

I don't really care either way, just saying. The OP did indeed include them so.....

Old 12-22-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
While Kansas, Nebraska, North and South Dakota are technically considered the Midwest, Most Midwesterner's I know consider them to be the Great Plains. The Great Plains are often thought to be there own region separate from the Midwest to a lot of the people that live near those states.

I don't really care either way, just saying. The OP did indeed include them so.....
The Midwest is a pretty vast geographic region, with some geographic and cultural subregions. The Great Plains is one of them (so is the Great Lakes region...now, though originally it was not). The same way Appalachia and Texas are part of the South, or the Pacific NW is as much a part of the West as the Rockies or SoCal, or the way New England is part of the larger East Coast.

Kansas (all the way to Denver) is and always been the far western territory of the middle west, literally since the first time the term was ever used. It is one of 2 states, with Missouri, that has been included in the definition of the midwest continuously and without interruption for the entire time the term has been used in our lexicon, and remains the state most closely associated with the word "midwestern" in linguistic surveys of native American English speakers from the entire country, as well as the state whose residents most universally self-identify with the term "midwesterner".

I know (though only from this forum) that it pains some people in the Rust Belt (which is also in the midwest, though that's a result of host of factors, not the least of which was an early 20th century "branding campaign" in which industrialized and industrializing cities attempted to cash in on the pastoral mythologies associated with the agrarian middle west) to acknowledge those facts. I do not know why it pains some people so much to acknowledge those facts, though I have some theories, but the preponderance of data lead to only one conclusion:

Kansas is Midwestern. Always has been. Likely always will be.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:32 PM

217 posts, read 235,186 times
Quote:
Sorry, but you're both wrong. We have geographic areas that define the midwest. Oklahoma is not a midwest state. I wouldn't even consider it southern, it's too far west. Oklahoma is a Great Plains state.
Geographically it is southern actually, but anyone who knows oklahoma knows it doesn't feel southern. It's major population centers are Midwestern in culture. Oklahoma has more geographic regions than any other state. Panhandle will feel like Great Plains, you have parts that feel and look like Arkansas, I could go on.......but if Tulsa doesn't seem like a Midwest city to you then you don't know the Midwest.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:41 PM
FBF

572 posts, read 691,844 times
Illinois and Minnesota.

Because that is where Chicago and Mall of America are located, respectively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.