U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 10:25 AM

6,015 posts, read 6,375,531 times

Advertisements

Michigan by far, as someone who loves the outdoors. WI and MN are alright and there are some beautiful areas but Lyme is a huge problem in many parts of both states unlike in MI, and it's spread by deer ticks. Yes there are precautions you can take but you have to apply chemicals such as deet or permethrin, both of which have questionable track records on safety. It's enough to discourage me from going too far into the back country as I might in a state that like Michigan that doesn't have that problem.

If you scan the maps year by year, the spread has been pretty dramatic.

Data and Statistics | Lyme Disease | CDC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 10:38 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,401,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Michigan by far, as someone who loves the outdoors. WI and MN are alright and there are some beautiful areas but Lyme is a huge problem in many parts of both states unlike in MI, and it's spread by deer ticks. Yes there are precautions you can take but you have to apply chemicals such as deet or permethrin, both of which have questionable track records on safety. It's enough to discourage me from going too far into the back country as I might in a state that like Michigan that doesn't have that problem.

If you scan the maps year by year, the spread has been pretty dramatic.

Data and Statistics | Lyme Disease | CDC
LOL, you vote Michigan because of Lyme Disease? First of all, you do realize that it occurs both in Lower and Upper Michigan, right? Would you rather live in Oklahoma than Maine due to Lyme Disease? Does a higher prevelance of Lyme Disease in Vermont make it less attractive than North Dakota? Silliest post of the day.

Additionally, I've never met anyone who contracted Lyme Disease. Not one person. And I spend a huge amount of time in the MN/WI/MI woods. Someone is buying into some real hysteria here

Old 09-11-2015, 10:42 AM

2,601 posts, read 4,075,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese plate View Post
LOL, you vote Michigan because of Lyme Disease? First of all, you do realize that it occurs both in Lower and Upper Michigan, right? Would you rather live in Oklahoma than Maine due to Lyme Disease? Does a higher prevelance of Lyme Disease in Vermont make it less attractive than North Dakota? Silliest post of the day.

Additionally, I've never met anyone who contracted Lyme Disease. Not one person. And I spend a huge amount of time in the MN/WI/MI woods. Someone is buying into some real hysteria here
I know a couple people who have Lyme Disease...one contracted in WI, and the other in Connecticut. I don't think the statistics lie. Doesn't make Michigan a better state, though.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:

I posted CDC data. 2013 Michigan incidence is 1.2 cases per 100k. In MI and WI it's 26 and 25. That is factual data. So that's roughly 1 in 4,000 and growing by the year. Which not seem like much but considering both states have large urban populations that aren't going to regularly be in the wilderness, there will be different levels of exposure. I'm just saying that it is a concern for people who are in the outdoors. And you actually probably do know someone with Lyme, you just don't know they have it. I mean, it's not something people publicly advertise.

And yes, if I wanted to live in a rural setting, or planned to spend a lot of time in the woods, I would absolutely rather live in OK or ND than VT or ME, which have far higher incidence than even MN and WI.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I know a couple people who have Lyme Disease...one contracted in WI, and the other in Connecticut. I don't think the statistics lie. Doesn't make Michigan a better state, though.
I guess I should clarify. I would have still voted Michigan regardless because I do think it's the prettiest state in the Midwest. And for me personally, I feel safer exploring the outdoors there because Lyme is much less of a problem. So that's part of the reason why I think Michigan is the more outdoor-friendly state (at least for now). It's not like you can't take precautions, but there's still various levels of risk. As someone who also knows personally people with Lyme, it's scary because there is no consensus within the medical community about how to treat it. So yes, for me it is a consideration.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I guess I should clarify. I would have still voted Michigan regardless because I do think it's the prettiest state in the Midwest.
Then that's what you should have posted. The Lyme Disease angle is ridiculous. Especially since MI has its own cases and by far the prettiest part of MI, the UP, is Wisconsin's hat. If it were to spread like you seem to think, the UP is next.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Then that's what you should have posted. The Lyme Disease angle is ridiculous. Especially since MI has its own cases and by far the prettiest part of MI, the UP, is Wisconsin's hat. If it were to spread like you seem to think, the UP is next.
Actually, I believe you that you don't know anyone with Lyme. Maybe you wouldn't be so dismissive of the problem if you actually did. It's not ridiculous for the people who have contracted the disease. I don't find it funny or ridiculous. This is a thread about favorite states in the Midwest. I'm entitled to my own opinion and my own factors.

And the fact that it is spreading is not my personal theory. It's based on clear data from the CDC, which I will reiterate:

http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/stats/charts...cebystate.html

Old 09-11-2015, 01:44 PM

You stating that you put Michigan, a state without Lyme Disease (which is untrue), above WI/MN simply because there are cases of Lyme Disease, was ridiculous. So ridiculous, in fact, that you backed up and "clarified." However, you continue, even after your "clarification," pushing the Lyme Disease angle, even though it's clearly ridiculous. Have at it if you wish, but the more you continue on with it, the sillier it becomes.

Old 09-11-2015, 02:13 PM

1,743 posts, read 960,472 times
Based on the ones I've been to (haven't been in the latter 3 since 2002 when I was 6 years old).

1. Illinois - Simply for Chicago, my favorite city in the country. Plus Springfield is very nice, as well.
2. Missouri
3. Minnesota
4. Kansas
5. Iowa

Old 09-11-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
You stating that you put Michigan, a state without Lyme Disease (which is untrue), above WI/MN simply because there are cases of Lyme Disease, was ridiculous. So ridiculous, in fact, that you backed up and "clarified." However, you continue, even after your "clarification," pushing the Lyme Disease angle, even though it's clearly ridiculous. Have at it if you wish, but the more you continue on with it, the sillier it becomes.
That is not what I said. I am a person who enjoys spending a great deal of time outdoors in the back country, and ticks are a problem in a lot of remote areas. There is a much greater risk of Lyme Disease from ticks in WI and MN than MI, that's simply a fact that you struggle to acknowledge. For someone who just appreciates the beauty driving by or even a day hike, probably not going to make a big difference. But for someone going on a backpacking trip where you are spending several days in the back country yes it is a problem. Which is why I would pick Michigan over WI or MN for such a trip. Does this concern apply to everyone? No, absolutely not. But it does for me and for my hobbies, and anyone else who might find themselves in more remote wooded areas, especially since it's a disease that's gone from infecting 30k a year to 300k a year (probably more: .http://www.cbsnews.com/news/lyme-dis...mmon-cdc-says/) And complicating matters is the fact that the carriers are largely the young ticks which are tiny and difficult to detect. And the University of Wisconsin professor of entomology agrees that it's a problem:

Deer ticks, Lyme disease among the hazards of Wisconsin summers | Wisconsin | Wisconsin Gazette - Smart, independent and revealing. News, opinion and entertainment coverage

Nothing about this says that I think one state is objectively better than another. But subjectively, yes I would have preferences and that's just my opinion which doesn't carry any objective weight so I don't get what the big deal is.

Last edited by Bluefox; 09-11-2015 at 03:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.