U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2012, 10:10 PM

181 posts, read 273,212 times

Advertisements

Lived in Illinois and Southern California and currently reside in Wisconsin.

1. Wisconsin. So far I've been very impressed by the beauty of the state. I really hate the Packers though, almost enough to make me want to move.
2. Minnesota looks like another beautiful state that I want to visit.
3. Illinois is a remarkably boring state. Flat enough to watch your dog run away for 2 days. However Chicago is my kind of town. I feel sorry for anyone living in IL and not in Chicago.

I have to look into the the other states.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 11:51 PM

6,522 posts, read 7,468,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.davis View Post
Yikes, no accounting for taste. The lower peninsula of Michigan is one of the ugliest states I have ever been to. The UP is as nice as Wisconsin, which seems pleasant, if unremarkable. Minnesota I can dig, though.

THe northern thrd of lower Mi looks just like the UP. The southern two thirds is mixed forest and farmland. Very small parts of lower Mi are ugly run down cities like Detroit, Flint, Benton harbor etc. Just because you saw Detroit dont think youve seen Michigan. Just 50 miles from Detroit are quiet farm towns, lakes, apple orchards and lots of other nice areas. Everyone has an opinion, and if you thought it was ugly then you have aright to that, but I hope you did not come to that conclusion because you flew into Detroit one day and never saw much more of the state.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:15 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,296,904 times
1. Chicago
2. Chicago
3. Chicago
4. The End.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:04 AM

6,495 posts, read 10,804,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
1. Chicago
2. Chicago
3. Chicago
4. The End.
Contrary to the belief of the late Mike Royko and many others, Chicago is not a state.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:36 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,319,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Aren't you originally from the Chicago burbs??
He(?) probably won't answer that now...

Old 12-19-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguy1685 View Post
Lived in Illinois and Southern California and currently reside in Wisconsin.

1. Wisconsin. So far I've been very impressed by the beauty of the state. I really hate the Packers though, almost enough to make me want to move.
2. Minnesota looks like another beautiful state that I want to visit.
3. Illinois is a remarkably boring state. Flat enough to watch your dog run away for 2 days. However Chicago is my kind of town. I feel sorry for anyone living in IL and not in Chicago.

I have to look into the the other states.
You are my favorite person!

1. You hate the Pack (aren't they...stupid -- can't use the term I did in HS)
2. You seem to be objective and leave bias out of the equation
3. You are blunt

It's like we're long lost twins!

Old 12-19-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
THe northern thrd of lower Mi looks just like the UP. The southern two thirds is mixed forest and farmland. Very small parts of lower Mi are ugly run down cities like Detroit, Flint, Benton harbor etc. Just because you saw Detroit dont think youve seen Michigan. Just 50 miles from Detroit are quiet farm towns, lakes, apple orchards and lots of other nice areas. Everyone has an opinion, and if you thought it was ugly then you have aright to that, but I hope you did not come to that conclusion because you flew into Detroit one day and never saw much more of the state.
Seriously, Michigan is a beautiful state throughout MOST of it. I've driven through much of it and although I've seen the bad (which state DOESN'T have any "bad") I've also seen the good -- and the good is AMAZING (just like MN and WI)!

Old 12-21-2012, 04:51 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,230,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Yes that is a big omission on my part, the Missouri valley is a cool place to visit. Lewis an Clark thought alot of it as a means to the west, so just its historical significance makes it important. The Porcupine mountains and the Ozarks are beautiful. I do kinda think of the Ozarks as more southern though, not so midwestern. One thing is for sure Missouri and Arkansas are two of the most beautiful but underated states in the nation. If anyone knew how pretty they were theyd get alot more attention. In the end they will stay nice BECAUSE they dont get too much attention.
Maybe 150 years ago this would have been true, but the Ozarks are not entirely southern. After the Civil War they received mass immigration from foreigners and Northerners. Because of this, much of the Ozarks can't be considered the south anymore, but a transition area. One thing that cannot be debated however is that south of Springfield and in Arkansas the Ozarks ARE entirely southern.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:51 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,810,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
1. Chicago
2. Chicago
3. Chicago
4. The End.
Someone has a superiority complex
Edit:Inferiority Complex

Old 12-21-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Someone has a superiority complex
INferiority complex!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.