U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2012, 08:58 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,810,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
INferiority complex!
My bad.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 06:43 PM

50 posts, read 95,255 times
I see many people do not think highly of Missouri compared to other states in the Midwest. I wonder why.

Could it be because Missouri is the most southern of the Midwest with just average quality of life among all 50 states in most categories?

Old 02-07-2013, 08:06 PM

11,177 posts, read 22,381,444 times
I have to agree Michigan is a very beautiful state all around. People who judge it by the less than 1% of land that's the city of Detroit and Flint need to get a grip.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:24 PM

20,852 posts, read 35,964,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalARMO View Post
I see many people do not think highly of Missouri compared to other states in the Midwest. I wonder why.

Could it be because Missouri is the most southern of the Midwest with just average quality of life among all 50 states in most categories?
Missouri is a below average state because it has seen negative job growth for quite some time, and job growth has been mixed in St. Louis and KC metro counties within Missouri. The suburban counties have tended to gain more jobs while the urban core counties have been losing jobs. Rural Missouri has seen mostly negative job growth and an out-migration of younger people, similar to many other states in the Midwest. Rural Missouri lags behind most of the Midwest in educational attainment overall. Missouri is not really seen as too progressive socially, culturally, or environmentally overall. It is below average along with Indiana.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:25 PM

6,514 posts, read 9,061,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalARMO View Post

I'd sooner live in the St. Louis Metro area of Missouri than almost anywhere in Kentucky, and it's part of the midwest.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:26 AM

7,183 posts, read 5,418,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Missouri is a below average state because it has seen negative job growth for quite some time, and job growth has been mixed in St. Louis and KC metro counties within Missouri. The suburban counties have tended to gain more jobs while the urban core counties have been losing jobs. Rural Missouri has seen mostly negative job growth and an out-migration of younger people, similar to many other states in the Midwest. Rural Missouri lags behind most of the Midwest in educational attainment overall. Missouri is not really seen as too progressive socially, culturally, or environmentally overall. It is below average along with Indiana.
Missouri was above average in population growth in the midwest region from 2000-2010, trailing only Minnesota and South Dakota:

South Dakota Edges Minnesota for Largest Population Growth Rate in Midwest - Smart Politics

Although small compared to Chicago, and Detroit, having two metro areas the size of KC and STL also put Missouri ahead of many midwestern states.

As far as educational attainment, Missouri ranks ahead of such traditional midwestern states as Indiana and Illinois:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...nal_attainment

It appears that most of the midwestern states are clustered fairly close together on this measure. The ones that tend to stand out statistically, such as Minnesota and Iowa, are also the most ethnically homogeneous, which I know you prefer.

I would also say that Missouri is above average based on unemployment rate in the midwest region, almost tied with Wisconsin and ahead of midwest stalwarts like Indiana, Illinois, Michigan and Ohio:

http://www.bls.gov/web/laus/laumstrk.htm

Again, the states that stand out statistically here are the lower populated, more ethnically homogeneous states.

As far as job growth, based on this cite, I see Missouri experienced much higher job growth in 2012 than several midwestern states, including Wisconsin:

http://www.deptofnumbers.com/employment/missouri/ (you'll have to follow the link to Wisconsin)

As far as Missouri not being considered progressive, well, that is a very subjective term and many would not want to be considered one of the more "progressive" states, if, for example, our neighbor to the east is a model of progress.

Missouri is also one of the few states to maintain the highest credit rating during these difficult economic times.

All in all, I'd say Missouri is definately above average.

Last edited by MUTGR; 02-08-2013 at 10:06 AM..

Old 02-08-2013, 04:10 PM

2,153 posts, read 2,664,520 times
Pretty much in this order...

Michigan - beautiful

Illinois - Chicago
Wisconsin - Classic Midwest
Minnesota - Lakes

Iowa - pretty farmland
Missouri - eh,

Indiana - "southern"

Ohio - ****hole

Old 02-08-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I'd sooner live in the St. Louis Metro area of Missouri than almost anywhere in Kentucky, and it's part of the midwest.
The climate of St. Louis is very similar to that of the rest of the upper South these days. The urban areas of St. Louis are actually warmer than the vast majority of Kentucky due to the urban heat island effect. This comes into play in the Summer especially.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 02-08-2013 at 06:41 PM..

Old 02-08-2013, 05:50 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,810,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The climate of St. Louis is very similar to that of the rest of the upper South these days. The urban areas of St. Louis is actually warmer than the vast majority of Kentucky due to the urban heat island effect. This comes into play in the Summer especially.
Urban heat island effect? Maybe in chicago from skyscrapers but not st.louis. There arent that many skyscrapers here just low rise buildings and housing compacted together. We arent that dense. The most dense area in the st.louis area is Tower grove south neighbourhood with a density of 14,000 per sq mile. Dont you also have to be on a island to have a urban heat island effect?

Old 02-08-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Urban heat island effect? Maybe in chicago from skyscrapers but not st.louis. There arent that many skyscrapers here just low rise buildings and housing compacted together. We arent that dense. The most dense area in the st.louis area is Tower grove south neighbourhood with a density of 14,000 per sq mile. Dont you also have to be on a island to have a urban heat island effect?
Urban heat island is applicable to any large city with lots of buildings, asphalt, and concrete roads. St. Louis has a heat island and low temperatures are warmer than much of KY in the Summer. St. Louis has a fairly comparable climate to Louisville, KY, although Louisville is slightly milder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.