U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2013, 06:47 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,022,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
Urban heat island effect? Maybe in chicago from skyscrapers but not st.louis. There arent that many skyscrapers here just low rise buildings and housing compacted together. We arent that dense. The most dense area in the st.louis area is Tower grove south neighbourhood with a density of 14,000 per sq mile. Dont you also have to be on a island to have a urban heat island effect?
With all the freaking brick structures, it can feel like a Pizza Oven during a St. Louis summer (and too bad that they haven't figure out how to make pizza in St. Louis)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 09:55 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,223,450 times
Wisconsin.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:43 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 4,229,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
With all the freaking brick structures, it can feel like a Pizza Oven during a St. Louis summer (and too bad that they haven't figure out how to make pizza in St. Louis)
THat is just the biggest load of crap I've ever heard. Have you ever been to Cicero's? Guido's? Any place on the Hill? Pointer's? Cecil Whittaker's? And IMO's is good, anyway.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:49 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,022,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
THat is just the biggest load of crap I've ever heard. Have you ever been to Cicero's? Guido's? Any place on the Hill? Pointer's? Cecil Whittaker's? And IMO's is good, anyway.
what'sa load of crap? The amount of brick building (and you know as much as I that St. Louis as a bank load of brick buildings, and those brick building radiate a lot of heat in the summer.

...or the Pizza? The only people that really gloat about StL pizza are locals

Old 02-09-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Missouri is a below average state because it has seen negative job growth for quite some time, and job growth has been mixed in St. Louis and KC metro counties within Missouri. The suburban counties have tended to gain more jobs while the urban core counties have been losing jobs. Rural Missouri has seen mostly negative job growth and an out-migration of younger people, similar to many other states in the Midwest. Rural Missouri lags behind most of the Midwest in educational attainment overall. Missouri is not really seen as too progressive socially, culturally, or environmentally overall. It is below average along with Indiana.
The last time I heard, Missourians had among the higher graduation rates in high school.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
what'sa load of crap? The amount of brick building (and you know as much as I that St. Louis as a bank load of brick buildings, and those brick building radiate a lot of heat in the summer.

...or the Pizza? The only people that really gloat about StL pizza are locals
The pizza. I'm not disputing the heat. St. Louis is awful in the summer, and yes, I agree that the brick buildings are no help. And you're implying that the locals in St. Louis are stupid when it comes to taste? I've tried all kinds of pizza in NYC and Chicago. St. Louis is a pizza city in its own right. I know good pizza when I taste it, and putting down St. Louis as a below-average pizza place is being less than truthful. If IMO's is all there is to St. Louis, you haven't explored here. Locals can have a far more informative opinion of their city than the average outsider, who takes the sample he sees then leaves with a narrow-minded conclusion and believes he's right no matter what.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I'd sooner live in the St. Louis Metro area of Missouri than almost anywhere in Kentucky, and it's part of the midwest.
If you just said Kentucky is the Midwest, oh boy. Kentucky is NOT part of the Midwest. Linguistically, culturally, and demographically Kentucky is completely southern. Nothing Midwestern about it.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:47 PM

20,852 posts, read 35,964,992 times
Quote:
The last time I heard, Missourians had among the higher graduation rates in high school.
The overall picture is below average according to the Census Bureau. Missouri ranks below the average in the percentage of the population that has a high school diploma and a four year degree.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:24 PM

6,514 posts, read 9,059,281 times
Quote:
If you just said Kentucky is the Midwest, oh boy. Kentucky is NOT part of the Midwest. Linguistically, culturally, and demographically Kentucky is completely southern. Nothing Midwestern about it.
Upon further inspection, it would appear that you're right. Kentucky is NOT classified as a midwestern state, despite its close proximity. I thought it felt about as midwestern as Indiana though, minus the mountain folk, of which Indiana has none and Kentucky has a plentiful amount of.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:36 AM

7,183 posts, read 5,417,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The overall picture is below average according to the Census Bureau. Missouri ranks below the average in the percentage of the population that has a high school diploma and a four year degree.
According to this, Missouri is above the national average in percentage of population with a high school degree:

List of U.S. states by educational attainment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Missouri is slightly below the national average for having population with a bachelor degree. But when you compare Missouri to, I don't know, some random midwestern state such as Wisconsin, the difference is hardly statistically significant: 25.7 for Wisconsin, 25.2 for Missouri. Missouri is higher than several core midwestern states, including Iowa (surprisingly), Ohio, Michigan and Indiana.

And while Missouri is again slightly below the national average for percentage of population with a graduate degree, it is significantly higher in that regard than, say, I don't know, Wisconsin, with Missouri at 9.5% and Wisconsin at 8.4%. Missouri also ranks higher in this regard than a number of other core midwestern states in addition to Wisconsin, including Iowa, Michigan, Indiana and Ohio.

If one is looking at the midwest region, which we were, it is hard to say Missouri is below average in educational attainment compared to other core midwestern states. Again, the midwest states that really jump out above average here are states like Minnesota that are less densely populated, are more ethnically homogeneous and have fairly low, relative to the other states in the midwest, minority populations. I'm actually curious why Wisconsin doesn't rank higher.

And Missouri has a fairly high percentage of population with a graduate degree relative to our other midwestern states - presumably due to two fairly large metro areas.

Last edited by MUTGR; 02-10-2013 at 08:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.